06 RMK 600 - Hard to Turn

Smithys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife rides a 06 RMK 600 sled and says it is hard to turn. I tried it this weekend and found it did not turn sharp at all. Sled still has the factory skis on it. Looking for ideas on what to check or should I change the skis to a wider style ?

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check to make sure nothing is bent or stuck on the tie rods, ie , ice, sticks etc, weve found screwdrivers and all kinds of stuff,,,over the years,,,

make sure all the service points are looked after as it could be siezed or bent parts that are not easily spotted....

we like the simmons skis just the reg, not the big wide ones, great on trail and in powder.....

keep on riding

T

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
When you say it doesn't turn sharp, do you mean it snow plows in the turn? If so I would change out the skags. Also check your limiter strap because this will effect ski pressure. My 2 RMKs the strap is in the last whole to the bottom. This seemed to work better pulling the kids in the cabboose. These are 136" and 144" tracks. Good luck :)

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i would check your limiter straps. you can shorten them to put more pressure on the ski's so it will turn better. i found with my 2010 dragon this weekend that it liked to plow snow while it turned and would not turn very sharp. but by the second day i got used to it.

Smithys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you say it doesn't turn sharp, do you mean it snow plows in the turn? If so I would change out the skags. Also check your limiter strap because this will effect ski pressure. My 2 RMKs the strap is in the last whole to the bottom. This seemed to work better pulling the kids in the cabboose. These are 136" and 144" tracks. Good luck :)

What do you mean by snow plows in the turn? My wife says it takes 4o acres to turn the sled.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He is referring to when the skis are turned but the sled is basically pushing straight ahead instead of following the skis. Do you mean that the skis don't physically turn enough to make a short turn?

Smithys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The skis turn enought to make a turn but do not seem to grab - maybe snow plowing ??

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The answer lies in the type of snow you are riding in to some extent. If this is a problem on hardpack snow then check the carbide wear bars for wear as well as shorten the front limiter strap to put more weight on the skis so they bite in better. This will make it a little harder to turn the handlebars though so you have to find a happy medium. You could also increase the spring tension on the rear suspension which effectively puts more weight on the skis too. If the problem occurs in deep loose snow then you may want an aftermarket ski such as Simmons.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife rides a 06 RMK 600 sled and says it is hard to turn. I tried it this weekend and found it did not turn sharp at all. Sled still has the factory skis on it. Looking for ideas on what to check or should I change the skis to a wider style ?

how many miles on it and what condition are the skags in

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 06 turns real sharp but it is hard to say if anything is wrong without you having something to compare it to.

The 06 should have had gripper skis and they are excellent. Look for 08 or newer spindles as they really help. You can also buy aftermarket ones but they are a lot more money.

If you want, you can come to my house to see if mine rides different.

Sled Nut

Reaction score
My wife had a 06 RMK with a 151 track. That sled was a piece. Had the same problem that you are. I changed skis, stance, limiter straps, you name I did it. Had some change but not enough. She got so pissed that she went and bought a 04 REV 800. She's happy now. Keep your wife happy and everybody will be happy.:rolleyes::twocents::firefire::tearhairout:

goddess112

Reaction score
Slednut is right!!LOL
He picked that sled up for me because he heard nothing but good things. I complained so much he even took the stabilizer bars out for me (helped, but didn't fix). When he finally rode it he agreed......I wouldn't give his cat back.
I told him if I had to ride it one more time I was givin up the sport!:rant:
A friend told me of a skidoo of that magical year ('04....I have rode the newer ones and wasn't as happy with the ride) and went and purchased it that day.:eek:
When hubby came home I had 2 sleds....and a smile!:p

Top Bottom