06 800 sportsman

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have done lots of work to this bike but one problem I am having is shifting to reverse. About half the time it works good but the other half it just rattles and sometimes I need to shut it off for it to engage. When I turn the rear wheels back slightly it engages. When I had the cover off the side everything looks like it is lined up properly but when going to reverse I need to turn the wheels back slightly to make it engage

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:mad:Ok had the tranny out and apart found a bad bearing changed it and reinstalled the tranny.Still have same problem:mad:the ransmisiion shifts into and out of all gears perfectly fine untill you start it. hits forward park neutral and reverse sometimes but most times just rrattle. If I hold the secondary from turning it seems to kick in. But then if I remove the belt and spin the secondaryby hand really fast and slam it into any gear it works every time. Hook up the belt start it and does not shift into reverse again:mad: Now just so you knoe the dealer alighned the clutches in spring and i have an actuall polaris belt on.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

any help would be appreciated
I Purchased this bike with a clutch kit not sure what it is could this do this type of prob?

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hows your rpm's, is the bike idle set too high?
Don,t think so when cold runs at about 1250-1300 but when warmed up stays between 1120-1180 approx.

I hooked my drill to the secondary with the belt off and when I spin at approx the same speed as the bike does it will not engage but when spun slower goes in every time.

dlj

Reaction score
Check your engine mounts had a similar problem with my 07 X2 800 turned out it was a bad mount. Seems Polaris mounts are a little on the soft side and tend to break down with the higher torque units, if you get a little bit rough with them.

I am told there is an automotive mount that works in place of stock, and someone once sent me the info on it. If I can find it I will post it for you.

Good Luck

Top Bottom