05 rmk 900 166"

scottybdiving

Reaction score
1st post, Looking for opinions. I live in central Texas and I can't believe I am considering purchasing a snowmobile. I have a bunch of friends that I go riding with in Norcal and I have been renting a sled every year for the last 7 or 8 years. One of my friends located a 05 RMK 900 166" with 937 mi. It looks brand new and has always been in an enclosed trailer. The seat isn't even scuffed. Upgrades include SLP Muffler kit, cold air intake kit, drilled track, Simmons skis, and ice scratchers. It has had all factory updates. Asking $4k. I will ride it 2 - 3 times / year. It will stay at a friend's house in Norcal. Am I crazy?

gus

Reaction score
I would buy it the 900 is a powerful machine that's what I ride but mine is turboed I would replace the oil lines that's what usually go wrong and do a slp engine stabilizer kit

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you guys crazy? 05 rmk 900 was the worst sled Polaris ever built. You would be better off renting a sled. That way you won't have to pay for cranks, stators, motor mounts, clutches, and what ever else will break on the 900.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
8000 km's on my 05 900 with the usual maintenance. You need to make some mods like removing the rad (if it's still there), upgrade the spindles to 08 or newer and venting on the clutch side. I upgraded my skis to grippers off an 08 as well. I rebuilt the top end a month ago and it pulls hard. The 2 1/2" track is really nice for deep snow but the trails feel a little greasy at times.
It's amazing what you can do on these sleds considering their reputation. Learn how to balance the sled while counter-steering and it will turn on a dime. Not really a dime but I can pull cookies within about a 10 foot radius. In deep powder I was following a newer XP all weekend without a problem.
These sleds do vibrate a lot but the only time I'm bothered by it is when my feet are right up into the footwells, which is only on the trail so I don't care because I stand 99% of the time anyway.

After saying all of that... I would suggest you look for a newer dragon if you can. The real problem with 900's now is replacing parts and it'll just get worse. With the 07 thru 10's plastic is pretty interchangable and I think almost everything else. With the Pro's out, there are some good deals on dragons.

I really like my sled and I'll ride it until it blows up or there are too many parts to replace. I did ride a Pro at a demo day and that will be my next sled when the time comes.

Reactions: GRD

ufishifish2

Reaction score
These sleds sure do have a bad rep, and probably well deserved. All I know is that I have one with most of the necessary updates. It has about 3000 miles and runs awesome. Never had a problem..................... yet! Now that I said that it will probably blow up tomorrow!

Top Bottom