04 Griz 660 "Clunking"

jbettens

Reaction score
I am looking for your thoughts on how serious of problem my Griz has. I took it out today for ride and after about 10km of light 4x4ing in the snow, it developed a clunking noise behind the front driveshaft. In 2 wheel drive with front the brakes on and the rear tires slowly turning on ice, the noise does not develop until I apply the back brake and put a little torque into it. I am not a mechanic so I took it to someone who is. I am preparing myself for the worse but hoping for the best in that it is relatively simple to fix and not to expensive. Any ideas what one might be looking at here for repairs (parts? dollars?) Tough to diagnosis I know but thought maybe someone may have had a similar experience. The quad only has 1500kms and is in mint condition (or was).

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I got an 07 700 that's doing the same. Doesn't matter if it's in 2 or 4 wheel. As soon as I lean on the throttle a bit hard there is a audible clunk and I can feel it in the floorboards as well. Same as when I let the throttle off. I'm suspecting the one way bearing is starting to go. Be nice to know what your mechanic says.

Sent from my iPhone because dial-up sucks!

bds1

Reaction score
I'm sure its nothing a few thousand dollars can't fix. As long as you didn't have to get pulled home by a Honda.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Well if it is the one way bearing on the wet clutch it's only 120 bucks or so plus a new gasket for another 15. If u include labour then another 3 hrs at whatever they charge. Adds up quick. Never get pulled home by a Honda. Been pulled outta a hole a couple times by them but only cause they can't get in that far lol

Sent from my iPhone because dial-up sucks!

jbettens

Reaction score
Bad news as it turns out. The crown and pinion gears on the main shaft that runs through bottom of the transmission are shot. Also, the retainer plate for the bearing behind the pinion gear, a bolt came out and the post which the bolt goes in appears to have broke which I am told means i am looking at a new case. I bought the quad used with only 1500kms. Should never have happened in my opinion. But take a look inside and see the brazing. WTF is that!? To repair is going to cost $$$$. :mad:
Oh yeah, I did get pulled out by a Honda. First time for everything.

Attachments

• IMG_7662.jpg
    IMG_7662.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_7663.jpg
    IMG_7663.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_7666.jpg
    IMG_7666.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 91

bds1

Reaction score
JB - As a good friend I am offering to let you store the brand new 2011 Honda you are going to buy later this week at my place so you can hide it from the wife until you part out that Yamaha. It will look good next to my Rincon. I do feel for you... as you know what I went through with my Yamaha in the last year.

jbettens

Reaction score
Right now I am looking for a used engine complete with transmission. If anything goes up for sale, I will list it under classifieds. If anyone knows anybody or where to begin looking for engine/transmission please let me know.

Top Bottom