04' 400 Polaris Sportsman????

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
I have a strange thing happening with this quad, when it is cold and you go to start it. It turns over and over with out a fire. Then if you use the pull start it will fire???? What is with this, is there too much fuel going in the carb??? There is some excess gas coming out of the air intake with the filter off.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Give Bad Ass,... (Bob) a call in Bragg Creek. I am sure he can help you out on this one..... 403 949-3376.

cuzican

Reaction score
A guy I know has the same problem with an older polaris trail boss 250.
It turns over fine with electric start but won't start. yank the pullstarter and it fires everytime. I havn't talked to him for awhile so I don't know what he found out but if you do I'd be curious to know.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Had same issue.... Changed the jet needle & needle jet assembly. cleaned carb & checked float level. Works fine.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My 250 will do this sometimes. Starter needs to be tsken apart and cleaned or whatever. Battery could also be weak. When it wont start it isnt turning over fast enough. Try putting booster cables on and trying. When you pull start it spins over faster. Works for me:twocents:

hintonatv

Reaction score
Website
www.bratphaze.ca
I have experianced the same problem with a couple of Yamahas. A Kodiak 450, Raptor 80 and a Raptor 660. In all 3 cases the problem was intake valve adjustment. The 400 sportsman you are talking about is a four stroke correct? And the 250's in the other comments are likely two stroke Polaris? If your Sportsman is the four stroke, try adjusting the intake valves. If you need help or want someone to do it for you, give me a call.
Shawn.

Top Bottom