Natural gas line pressure testing

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone here certified to conduct a pressure test on a residential gas line? I have an old line going to the garage that I want to resurect. Unions at the house and garage have been approved by the city, just need the pressure test (and possibly reconnection in the house).

Thanks.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put the test on your self then they will come out to check it well thats the way it works out here:)

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
table 6.3 B149.1/05 nat gas and propane code
working pressure in psig up to and including 2pisg gas
all size diameter of pipe (200 ' or less in lenght) test pressure 15 pisg for 15 minutes
(more than 200 ' long) test pressure 15 psig for 60 minutes
Can be done under a home owners permit ( but inspectors dont like this)
Have an uncle w/plumbing company in stoney if need be

your welcome
your friendly niebougherhood gas instructor from down south
Cheers

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good info...thanks. I new the test protocol but was led to believe it needed to be done by someone with a ticket. City told me to have a company licensed to pull permits to do it. Was not aware it can be done under homeowners. If so, then who certifies my test? One could potentially fib!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right, inspection for the hook up, but if I do my own pressure test, who is certifying my test?? I will be at the city in a day or two and will see what they say.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Leave the gas test on when city comes by and oks it, are you in edmonton. They will pass it when they do inspection....

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not yet. Builder just finsished up the garage yesterday and I was actually going to focus on the gas portion today. Have the permit pulled. Guy at the city said to just leave the gauge on for when the inspector shows up. Interesting thing is that with both the gas and electrical, as soon as I said it was a garage it seemed so less important to the people I was dealing with. Like "oh it's a garage...then carry on". No questions asked, papers signed right away. Interesting.

Now I just need ot figure out how to hook up my pressure test. For the cost of a P gauge and fittings it might be better to call out a gas fitter?

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PM me i will give you step by step instruction will save you a 200.00 $ service call gauge set up will be cheaper than that

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Found the same thing at the lake...funny...it still goes BOOM like a house I'll bet???

Not yet. Builder just finsished up the garage yesterday and I was actually going to focus on the gas portion today. Have the permit pulled. Guy at the city said to just leave the gauge on for when the inspector shows up. Interesting thing is that with both the gas and electrical, as soon as I said it was a garage it seemed so less important to the people I was dealing with. Like "oh it's a garage...then carry on". No questions asked, papers signed right away. Interesting.

Now I just need ot figure out how to hook up my pressure test. For the cost of a P gauge and fittings it might be better to call out a gas fitter?

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya did a line for my neibour here in calgary at his cabin at pigieon inpection took forever and inspector did not hardly want to be there
guy from leduc gas even worse no pride in younger generation just a job

sad

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Yep, my cabin is at Pigeon, when we hooked up the gas fireplace no one cared.

ya did a line for my neibour here in calgary at his cabin at pigieon inpection took forever and inspector did not hardly want to be there
guy from leduc gas even worse no pride in younger generation just a job

sad

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2- 1/2 " ball valves
3-1/2" x 3 " long black nipples
1-1/2" black tee ( reduce the branch with a bushing to accept your gauge 0-30 psi)
1- 1/2" x ? coupling to fit your gas line
1- 1/2" x ? to fit your air chuck for you compressor

and tightn every thing up add air and soap test for leaks

my garage 20 x22 r-40 ceiling r-20 walls 22000 btuh radiant tile heater (no vent) shorts and tee shirt in garage when its -20 outside

Attachments

• 100_0789.jpg
    100_0789.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_0788.jpg
    100_0788.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_0792.jpg
    100_0792.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_0794.jpg
    100_0794.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 30

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to give a BIG thanks out to bhowes whose advice was insturmental in getting the gas line and venting setup in the new garage. Everything passed inspection and I have heat!!!

:beer::beer:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bhowes could probally cook smokies on that heater.:beer:and smokies sitting on sleds couldnt be better.

ZRrrr show us some pics of the new toybox.

Top Bottom