Fire in the sky

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last time this green comet was seen was 50,000 years ago, cave man days! should be viewable around the 2nd of February, by eye. can be seen now and till it passes with binoculars or a telescope, it is 26 million miles away! not to be seen for another 50,000 yrs. might be something for your kids to see?

i think we have one member who may have been a wee young lad, the last time it went by?

Last edited:

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last time this green comet was seen was 50,000 years ago, cave man days! should be viewable around the 2nd of February, might be seen by eye, likely need a telescope, as it is 26million miles away! not to be seen for another 50,000 yrs. might be something for your kids to see?

i think we have one member who may have been a wee young lad, the last time it went by?
Ferniesnow was 6 the last time.
Sorry Doug haha.

Where did you find the info on this?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ferniesnow was 6 the last time.
Sorry Doug haha.

Where did you find the info on this?
i'm not sure but i think he was rubbing sticks together, may have invented a few choice french words that day, having burnt his finger?

• Haha
Reactions: zal

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
best view JAN 30, if no clouds in sky? look towards the big dipper tail and the north star, should be able to see with binoculars!

I think Double D may have seen it the last time it came by? no idea though as he could have been sleeping! ha! seriously, This could be the last time in human history, man will ever see it will take 50'000 yrs before it returns, WOW.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went out to take a look tonight, crap heavy overcast!!!!! the sky guide app put me right on the location, but alas looks like try again tomorrow, don't think i will be around in 50,000 yrs for the next one.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clear skies. No see it. Anyone know where to look for sure?
find the northstar(Polaris)

Where to look in the sky to see the green comet​

Comet ZTF (C/2022 E3) is visible in the northern part of the sky. To find it, locate the Little Dipper constellation. The tip of its handle is the North Star, Polaris. The comet will be up and to the right of Polaris, and will appear to move east over the next few weeks. As an added bonus, on Feb. 10, the comet will appear close to Mars. Here is a much more in-depth guide to where the comet can be seen

we should be able to see for the next few weeks, may need binoculars?

i use a SkyGuide app that works fairly well, i'm sure there are other apps also!

Last edited:

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was just outside clear here full moon is bright

did look at map, me thinkin need to remove moon light

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
will take another look tonight, the green comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF) should be North and east of the north star. full moon could be a problem?

Top Bottom