Xplorer 400 Coolant/Heating Problems

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 1999 Xplorer is belching coolant out the top of the overflow bottle, but the overheat light is not on. It comes on later when the coolant level goes down. As well, the return hose from the bottom of the bottle is empty and doesn't seem to be returning coolant to the radiator. Last year the motor was rebuilt and the cylinder was ported and head modified.

I've checked the rad, is clean, and I've jumped the fan and it works, so I'm not sure what's happening. Anyone had this before?

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have an 98 explorer for parts, live in sherwoodpark maybe your water pump is no good talked a guy also in ardrossan who has a scrambler his water pump went i might have what you need

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First make sure your water pump is pumping. I had the same issue with a 97 500 and the shaft that ran the water pump was broke causing the bike to overheat but the light did come on. Other than that make sure you dont have an air lock and maby check that first.

t.rhodes

Reaction score
You have a cracked cylinder or a screwed head gasket. Cylinder pressure pushing out your coolant.

Top Bottom