TREES, STUMPS...and anything related

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We dropped a Black Walnut on Sunday morning at one of my friends.
About fourteen inches around at the base, Phuck was this one a b!tch!
Chains were fairly new and sharp on both saws...is there different chains for these types of trees?
In the last month and a half we dropped about eighty five trees, spruce, pine and cedar without much trouble...basically the same size around and height.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    753.7 KB · Views: 99

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a tree to cut down, its a city tree so need to be careful that it doesnt land on the neighbor's house though.

Still formulating a plan haha

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been infatuated with chainsaws since I was a little kid. Upgraded my saw to a husky 572xp a while ago. Have pulled around 20 cords of wood out of the bush with it. Recently acquired a really clean stihl 066 and put a 28" light bar on it. Fricking love that saw. She gets a little heavy if you are using it for an extended period for all around use. Nothing better for cutting big wood though. The harder you lean on it, the harder she pulls. I like the 572, but shes easy to bog out. Like comparing a 450 thumper to a 125 two stroke.

Love cutting wood so much, that Im kind of considering a career in it. Looking at arborist opportunities, or forestry. With a finance degree, and just turning 41 though.......not sure if thats a good move, or a giant step backwards.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Ive been infatuated with chainsaws since I was a little kid. Upgraded my saw to a husky 572xp a while ago. Have pulled around 20 cords of wood out of the bush with it. Recently acquired a really clean stihl 066 and put a 28" light bar on it. Fricking love that saw. She gets a little heavy if you are using it for an extended period for all around use. Nothing better for cutting big wood though. The harder you lean on it, the harder she pulls. I like the 572, but shes easy to bog out. Like comparing a 450 thumper to a 125 two stroke.

Love cutting wood so much, that Im kind of considering a career in it. Looking at arborist opportunities, or forestry. With a finance degree, and just turning 41 though.......not sure if thats a good move, or a giant step backwards.
If you can do what you love, jump at it Dean! A change in career at your age isn't a big deal. I ran into a cool dude in Fernie working as a contractor for cutting safety trees, hauling culverts, installing km signage, and whatever for a logging company. He also cut trees privately (faller/arborist type of things) and loved what he did.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a couple stumps to remove, they are very close(touching) the house.

Dont want to use a stump grinder, because its so close to the house.

Pulling them out with a skid steer isnt a great option either really.

So has anyone here had any luck drilling holes into a stump and dissolve it with chemicals so that it can be easily removed with an axe?

If so what chemical did you use?

Any info or other ideas would be great.

I might try digging them out with.a shovel

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a couple stumps to remove, they are very close(touching) the house.

Dont want to use a stump grinder, because its so close to the house.

Pulling them out with a skid steer isnt a great option either really.

So has anyone here had any luck drilling holes into a stump and dissolve it with chemicals so that it can be easily removed with an axe?

If so what chemical did you use?

Any info or other ideas would be great.

I might try digging them out with.a shovel
No simple way to deal with it. Could always dig around the root just under the ground line. Wash off clean and powersaw away till your under the ground line and cover over.
the chemical way is slow too, basically waiting for it to rot.

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have three chainsaws and I keep telling myself I need the new stihl 500i and it’s $1600 minimum….more then all my other saws put together…dam it

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No simple way to deal with it. Could always dig around the root just under the ground line. Wash off clean and powersaw away till your under the ground line and cover over.
the chemical way is slow too, basically waiting for it to rot.

How long are we talking? Would it be rotted out by spring?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have three chainsaws and I keep telling myself I need the new stihl 500i and it’s $1600 minimum….more then all my other saws put together…dam it
I have a friend in forestry that says the 500i is the cats meow. Fallers with hopped up saws try his stock 500 and like it better. Gonna try his. If I love it I'll just sell the 572 and upgrade

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done it using bleach,drilled 1 inch holes,4 or 5 in each depending on size kept filling them with straight bleach,they were poplar stumps with wide spread roots, took a while though, about 7 months,but killed all the little suckers that sprout out of the roots once you cut the tree down.came out pretty good.

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a friend in forestry that says the 500i is the cats meow. Fallers with hopped up saws try his stock 500 and like it better. Gonna try his. If I love it I'll just sell the 572 and upgrade
Yeah I made the mistake of holding one this summer lol. it was the same weight or lighter then my 440 and it had a 28 or 32”bar on it.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That looks like a maple tree. A slab out of that about 3" thick would be a nice "live edge" piece for a wall shelf. There's money in those live edge pieces!!
You can have that whole log if you want to come pick it up

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I made a outdoor shower with birch sidewalk this summer, with wood prices today and no time for the mill I cheaped out with the tarp lol
2D69392D-E5B9-4683-9CF6-F835C991FCF0.jpg

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I'll pass as I am sure there are some a little closer. Thanks for the thoughts!yea

Yes pretty far away. Think this log is worth anything?

Its about 12 feet long and 18inch diameter. Manitoba maple.

I dont have a saw mill, my dad might get one... but was thinking just fire wood, but it is a nice looking log though.

Top Bottom