Towingan RV over 4600 kg in BC

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good, it's about dam time. Seen way to many morons pulling 36' 5th wheels that realistically can barely handle the pickup to begin with.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is common in the USA as well.
However if you are legal in your province or state that you are licensed and registared in I am pretty sure you are exempt
pretty much every fifth wheel toy hauler would be over that limit

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is common in the USA as well.
However if you are legal in your province or state that you are licensed and registared in I am pretty sure you are exempt
pretty much every fifth wheel toy hauler would be over that limit

We were just talikg about that, tried to find somrthing on BC Goverment web site, anyone know for sure.....I'm covered but know lots of people that recreate that would need to upgrade....again would be a good thing....

Last edited:

van isle

Reaction score
Yup this only applies to BC resedents. To bad most ICBC offices will bend the rules and register the trailer for less weight then the trailers max GVW if you are not planning to use it for comercial use. The rule really seems to be an issue with flat deck or dump trailers. as that is the only time I have come across the issue. When I bought my TT in Vancouver the ICBC agent came right to the dealer to insure and reg it the fact its max GVW is 10 500 never seemed to be issue.

I believe if AB or any other state or province wanted to add a law like this it should have either a lower limit to 7500LBS or any tadem axle trailer and above.
That or it should be raised to 12 500 and above. That way it doesnt cut the travel trailer market right in half. This way only triple axle trailers or trailers with 7500 lbs axles would require the additional testing.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am guessing my class 1 over rides the class 5 but i have never been stoped in bc when i am towing my race trailer

Last edited:

Peter Gill

Reaction score
Seen way to many morons pulling 36' 5th wheels that realistically can barely handle the pickup to begin with.
Unfortunately licensing in BC for 10,500+ doesn't really change that. Once you have the endorsement, you can still be stupid and overload your truck.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just because the trailer is over 10,000lbs doesn't mean you have over loaded the tow vehicle, in an rv situation. The race team I crew chief for, the trailer is over double that icbc limit, but it isn't overloading the tow vehicle.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just because the trailer is over 10,000lbs doesn't mean you have over loaded the tow vehicle, in an rv situation. The race team I crew chief for, the trailer is over double that icbc limit, but it isn't overloading the tow vehicle.

There is more then one way to be overloaded or over weight...... the payload/ hitch weight is one, the towing capacity is another....ICBC limit is a number that simpliy requires a licsense endorsment, doubling that depending on the vehical and the set up you could still be lega....maybe....

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
According to the icbc link if we were from bc, and the unit was licensed and registered in bc, everyone who drives would need class 1 licences vs class 5 and air.

It is a Freightliner coach, with a stacker trailer. I don't have a picture of the actual unit handy, but it looks similar to this: 26856323-754-2010-Renegade-IKON-And-Stacker-Trailer-C.jpg

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
According to the icbc link if we were from bc, and the unit was licensed and registered in bc, everyone who drives would need class 1 licences vs class 5 and air.

It is a Freightliner coach, with a stacker trailer. I don't have a picture of the actual unit handy, but it looks similar to this: View attachment 147640

Not everyone, but a lot of the drivers that run rigs that size should have more then a class five.....We raced for years and saw rigs of all shape's and sizes, at 18 years old my son could handle the dodge 1 ton lb with 40' of fith wheel. Stoped counting the number of times Ive helped people get thier rigs into or out some of the race tracks....and shook my head as to how poor of drivers they were....

It's been a pet peev re RV of all shapes and sizes and how anyone with a class five can just jump in them and head out onto the road......

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that freightliner unit would require a class 1Qin Alberta as well
tandem axle truck with a triaxle trailer

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's crazy that you don't Need a class 0ne and maybe even only a 5

Think with a trailer like that you would want air brakes over electric

Top Bottom