RV water heater trouble shooting

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey crew, reaching out for any assistance on an RV On Demand water heater that I’m having troubles with.
Atwood OD5001cw
It’s about 10yrs old, worked great in the past.
It lights and stays lit, but just won’t make “hot” water.
Switched between all propane tanks that are all full, but no change.
Decent water flow, no change from previous years.
I’m leaning towards the “modulating valve”, but of course Atwood was bought out by Dometic and parts are no longer available…..see attached pic.

Is there an RV tech or an owner of this unit on here that has experience with what’s happening?
image.jpg

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should add…
I spoke with the dealer I purchased the unit from brand new.
Country Camping RV in Salmon Arm. I spoke with the service manager Tanner, super nice fellow, but just didn’t have any experience with these units, and stated that they only ever sold a few of them.
I also talked with a good dealer I had some work done by years ago, Eldorado RV in Lethbridge. Again, not much help….

I thought these on demand heaters were becoming popular and taking over the market…?
Does anyone know of a decent dealer that might have the knowledge about this issue?

Last resort is complete replacement….

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Silly question probably but are your valves set correctly after you winterized or is that not a thing with the on demand?

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brett, here is a contact regarding your dilemma. These guys are straight shooters and have helped myself and Lucky 7 out of many sticky situations with our RV’s.
Steve is the owner of the main company and his son Jordan has branched out with a mobile RV service business.

Thank you sir…

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is not as new as your water heater, but it quit working. The pilot light would come on but no ignition. Some said just blow it out with compressed air so i did that, lots of crap came out, it never worked so onto the pilot burner assembly, that never worked either so last but not least the gas valve and they are around 400 bucks but low and behold amazon had a damaged one for 40 bucks. When i got it, could not see any damage what so ever... that fixed the problem. Might not help you but maybe someone else.

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A long shot here if you have heat, burner working, have you ever back flushed your heater with vinegar? I have to do it quiet often on our house one and I know they recommend it on rv ones?

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A long shot here if you have heat, burner working, have you ever back flushed your heater with vinegar? I have to do it quiet often on our house one and I know they recommend it on rv ones?
Good point, I did read that on a post somewhere…
I haven’t tried that yet, but will probably do it soon.
Heading to the trailer tomorrow

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I should add…
I spoke with the dealer I purchased the unit from brand new.
Country Camping RV in Salmon Arm. I spoke with the service manager Tanner, super nice fellow, but just didn’t have any experience with these units, and stated that they only ever sold a few of them.
I also talked with a good dealer I had some work done by years ago, Eldorado RV in Lethbridge. Again, not much help….

I thought these on demand heaters were becoming popular and taking over the market…?
Does anyone know of a decent dealer that might have the knowledge about this issue?

Last resort is complete replacement….
Know any so so burner guys?

Top Bottom