Recon projector headlights f-150

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a set of Recon projector headlights installed on my F-150 w/ the Piaa 9000 bulbs.. Dealership aimed and aligned them.. I noticed after the install that the light was terrible and w/ my foglights off my low beam was brutal.. High beams are bright but don't have a wide band of light so can barely see into the ditch..

Do i need to get them re-aligned or is this still of light purely for looks w/ no benefit on the highway??

I'm thinking about putting my factory lights back in..

TARRANT

Reaction score
purely looks, every set of projector light that I and anyone i know has bought are completly for looks, the light output is horrible no matter what kinda bulb You put in. and if your lucky they will be sealed correctly but dont count your chickens yet. I put my stocks back in within a week

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What TARRANT said. Had them in wifes Denali as it came that way and put stock ones back in. Recon are for daylight only. lol

purely looks, every set of projector light that I and anyone i know has bought are completly for looks, the light output is horrible no matter what kinda bulb You put in. and if your lucky they will be sealed correctly but dont count your chickens yet. I put my stocks back in within a week

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like Pawel said HIDS are the only thing that help them other than that lighting sucks from them.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a set of recon's in my old lady's 09 dodge 1/2 ton,and they are shyt.Low beam with fog lights off
you can barely see 40 ft infront of the truck.Hight beam is not too bad at all.She went and got hid's
installed into them after afew months of not being able to see the road.That helped,but they are still
junk.With low beams on and fog lights off,she is just an accident waiting to happen in that truck.
FACTORY LIGHTS WERE AT MIN 4 TIMES BETTER THAN THE RECONS,EVEN AFTER THE HID'S WERE INSTALLED.
$1000 BUCKS DOWN THE DRAIN FOR JUNK.
MAN i FEEL BETTER NOW.

I emailed Recon and asked why the low beam lights were so brutal on low beam
and ect,ect.They would not email me back,but they DO email me monthly sales
and new product releases............since I emailed to complain.I would NEVER recomend
there products ever to anyone.

Last edited:

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on, pissed away a quick grand... I'm going to put the factory lights back in and look at a set of HID's... Nothing worse than not being able to see the hwy in front of you..

For Sale - recon headlights that fit an 2011-12 F-150 - PM if interested..haha...

Looks cool if you never leave the city...

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on, pissed away a quick grand... I'm going to put the factory lights back in and look at a set of HID's... Nothing worse than not being able to see the hwy in front of you..

For Sale - recon headlights that fit an 2011-12 F-150 - PM if interested..haha...

hahaha some young buck will buy them

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

try the HID's in the recons before you sell them. if you don't like them after, then sell them together.

Northerns4

Reaction score
I agree try them with hids. I went from stock lights with stock bulbs to recon housings and hids in both hi and lows and i found a world of a difference. This was on a duramax. Can't comment on them with regular bulbs though, or compare to what stock housings with hids would have been like.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, worth a shot.. If i buy HID's for the Recon and they don't work out would i be able to utilize the HID's in my factory headlights

Any suggestions where to buy the HID kit in and around Cowtown?

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The recons are not a good set of lights I would sell them! but also the Piaa is not the brightest bulb either! I run the Anzo usa projector headlights with the same bulbs from anzo and they work awesome! my low beams are quite bright as they are projector and the beam of light the outline is razor sharp. The high beam works quite well on them to. HIDs have quite a bit of gray area on wether or not they are legal and it's almost a pain in the @$$ cause every cop has his own judgement on them. I was pulled over in cranbrook for my projectors the cop thought it was an HID bulb so i showed him it was a halogen bulb and no problems.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, worth a shot.. If i buy HID's for the Recon and they don't work out would i be able to utilize the HID's in my factory headlights

Any suggestions where to buy the HID kit in and around Cowtown?

You should pull the bulbs and see what bulb is in the recon lights as some of the companies use different bulbs than what your factory set of lights are. If they are different then they wont work in your factory headlights. I sell HID kits and all other accessories and I'm in Cowtown on a regular basis let me know If I can be of any assitance!

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HID's are illegal if they are not installed from the factory? Some of the european cars (bmw, audi) run HID's do they not?

I went w/ the series of Piaa lights that Recon recommended on their website when i bought the lights and they shipped them w/ the headlights..

Coming home this evening in the dark, holding a maglite out my window would give me better light then these damn recons..

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HID's are illegal if they are not installed from the factory? Some of the european cars (bmw, audi) run HID's do they not?

I went w/ the series of Piaa lights that Recon recommended on their website when i bought the lights and they shipped them w/ the headlights..

Coming home this evening in the dark, holding a maglite out my window would give me better light then these damn recons..
they are legal from the factory because they are in projector housings. someone just posted a few weeks ago about being stopped in Valemount with HID's in aftermarket projector housings and the cop said they were okay. they are illegal if mounted in stock halogen designed housings.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's because people buy cheap projectors.

Buy quality projectors from places like the The Retrofit Source and build your own. As good of lighting on those that come on Acura TL's (often mentioned as THE BEST projectors) and Mercedez because you are USING the same projector and a quality HID system.

Dont' cheap out on cheezy lights.

$350-500 USD for just projectors and quality HID's. You have to build them into the housing yourself.

Top Bottom