Prop difference

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a coule weeks ago I toasted my prop on some hidden rocks in slave
2df477a5ad3549ea037a1b6cffa94677.jpg
[/IMG]
Not the end of the world I bought two when I bought the boat.
This lastvweekend I put the brand new prop on and took off to cold lake. I had 6 people on board and started slow to make sure there were no quirky vibrations, ckecked the prop nut and when all was ok we took off on broken water. I know how fast I typically would be going, about 45mph at 5000 rpm. I had to look twice though, I was at 50 mph at 5000 rpm! I would not think a brand new prop would make that big a difference! It is the same diameter and pitch of the old one. I am curious if the small nics over the years (before I killed it!) Would have robbed me of all that performance? The prop was the original so about 5yrs old. I also took a chunk out of the skeg, could that be the source of the speed? Btw the best speed on that boat was 52mph on a glass like lake with only me in it.

armymags1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that the 3 litre or 4.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It actually doesn't take much damage to lose thrust from a prop. Learned that the hard way years ago on an old Starcraft with a Merc outboard I bought. Boat wouldn't even come up on plane with some minimal prop damage. Had the prop rebuilt and it worked great after that.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Absolutely it will make a difference! If you want even more top end go up in pitch 2 or 4 sizes. Unless your towing tubes and skiing. I always carried one for skiing that would get me about 50 mph and great torque and then one for fishing when I wanted more speed!

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that my spare is on I will need to buy a new one. We spend more time fishing than towing so I like the idea of grabbing two different props

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
Absolutely it will make a difference! If you want even more top end go up in pitch 2 or 4 sizes. Unless your towing tubes and skiing. I always carried one for skiing that would get me about 50 mph and great torque and then one for fishing when I wanted more speed!

you tow skiers 50 mph

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
you get faster speed with a little chop on the water so that could be your 5mph increase but any damage on a prop will slow performance

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did not specifically say I ski at 50 mph. The prop made the boat go 50 with that specific prop. I ski at 33mph. The higher pitch prop would not pull me out of the water.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turns out the factory prop is a 14.25 x 21 pitch
uploadfromtaptalk1408246684264.jpg
the new one is exactly the same
uploadfromtaptalk1408246724141.jpg
I guess the difference is the wear on the old prop with the niks and loss of paint. It had lost alot of paint from cavitation while towing tubes.
so the next question is stainless worth the extra money?

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
View attachment 172838
View attachment 172839
I guess the difference is the wear on the old prop with the niks and loss of paint. It had lost alot of paint from cavitation while towing tubes.

well yes and no for fishing no always around shallows to much prop damage if your always in deeper water good investment

pipeliner72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An old prop will typicaly flex more so end result is loss in pick up out of the hole and also loss in speed. A stainless will last longer and perform better the downfall of stainless is if you hit something it usualy damages the shaft. How the pitch to a prop works is say for example a 21 pitch prop will drive the boat forward 21 inches at max rpm. The lower the pitch better for towing but your rpms will increase.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 172838
View attachment 172839

If you are looking for props I have an as new 21 pitch three blade aluninum and a 19 pitch High Five for an Alpha 1 leg. High Five is also like new, both with crush cones, nuts and washers.. I just went back to a 21 pitch High Five so not needing the two extras. PM me if you are interested in purchasing. $375 for both props.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be intetested. Not sure how to pm on tapatalk but double check the diameter for me and I may be able to clear some room in your garage.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a high 5 prop on mine and love it as an all around prop. Even gone fishing with the bow rider (nothing too aggressive) and caught some fish. :)

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be intetested. Not sure how to pm on tapatalk but double check the diameter for me and I may be able to clear some room in your garage.

The 21 pitch is 14.25, same as in your pictures. The 19 pitch High Five is 13.25, same as all High Fives I am told.
The 21 pitch High Five I am using on my boat is also 13.25 dia.
I will send you a PM, check on your computer next time you are close to one.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
21 inches per revolution....rpm is irrelevant other than the fact that your prop pitch will alter your rpm @ specific speeds.

An old prop will typicaly flex more so end result is loss in pick up out of the hole and also loss in speed. A stainless will last longer and perform better the downfall of stainless is if you hit something it usualy damages the shaft. How the pitch to a prop works is say for example a 21 pitch prop will drive the boat forward 21 inches at max rpm. The lower the pitch better for towing but your rpms will increase.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found these guys a couples years ago, Welcome to our site! A business which prides itself on good service, product and workmanship! --------- They did a great job.....

Pigeon Lake, was in 4' of water, hit the thottle and turned hard, found a big ass rock, it bent the one fin on a HighFive Prop and tool a chunk out of the skagg...

Before and after.....two years later....still good...(no more rocks so far)....

He had an interesting point of view, thought I should stick with an 3 blade alluminum prop, cheap to replace when you hit a rock and with not send the shock trough the leg....also He insisted I should flush the leg oil, to make sure that no gear teeth were broken....as mentioned it's common to bend or break the drive shaft....and or bust teeth....

Mine didn't, guess I got luckey....but oil's cheap....so I did it just to know for sure....

Attachments

• IMG-20120915-00636.jpg
    IMG-20120915-00636.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 88
Top Bottom