Pigeon lake among lakes not swimmable due to blue/green algae

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
http://i1.wp.com/vipmedia.globalnew...jpg?crop=0px,83px,1120px,703px&resize=720,452

EDMONTON – People are being warned not to swim in or drink water from Pigeon Lake or Lac La Nonne, where blue-green algae has been detected.
The weekend could be one of the summer’s best in terms of weather, but people will have to avoid two lakes in central Alberta.
Alberta Health Services (AHS) has issued algae advisories for both Pigeon Lake, south of Edmonton, and Lac La Nonne, northwest of Edmonton.
Story continues below

AHS says residents living near the shore, as well as visitors to the lakes, should not drink the water, swim or wade in the water, avoid contact with the algae on the shoreline, and limit consumption of fish from the lake.
Health officials explain blue-green algae produce a toxin that can cause serious illness to animals and humans who drink or have skin contact with water containing it.

Symptoms of blue-green algae exposure include skin irritation, rash, sore throat, sore red eyes, swollen lips, fever, nausea and vomiting and/or diarrhea. Symptoms usually appear within one to three hours and resolve in one to two days. Related Stories

The advisories will remain in effect until further notice.
If you suspect a problem related to blue-green algae, or if you require further information on blue-green algae, please call Health Link Alberta at 1-866-408-LINK (5465).

CALGARY – Health officials are warning of dangerous algae in a lake located about 40 kilometers east of the city.

Officials have found blue-green algae in Eagle Lake, which can produce a toxin known to cause illness in any animals or humans who come into contact with it.

Residents living on the shores of the lake and visitors are warned not to drink the water, or allow pets to drink it.

Even boiling water from the lake won’t remove the toxins.

Avoid contact with the algae, and don’t swim or wade in the lake.

Advertisement

In addition, people are cautioned to limit how many fish from Eagle lake they consume.

People who come in contact with the algae may experience skin irritation, rash, sore throat, sore red eyes, swollen lips, fever, nausea and vomiting and/or diarrhea.

Symptoms usually appear within one to three hours and resolve in one to two days, however, symptoms in children are often more pronounced.

People who consume contaminated water as a primary source for drinking water can develop more serious illnesses, such as liver damage, over time.

If you suspect a problem related to blue-green algae, or if you require further information on blue-green algae, please call Health Link Alberta at 1-866-408-LINK (5465).

Although weather and wind conditions can cause algae blooms to move from one location in the lake to another, the toxin can stay in the water even after algae have moved or disappeared.

As such, this advisory will remain in effect until further notice.

Eagle Lake

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sure the lake is fine if your boating in the middle. They say stay out of my place every year (lake isle) since 98. I wouldn't swim from shore to win a bet. In the middle of the lake it's all good. Just have to keep the eye brows trimmed so the lake lettuce doesn't get stuck in them.

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they put this warning out for pigeon lake every year, we have always ignored it, just like we will this year

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up less then a mile from Lac La none that lake is always gross. I can remember knee boarding as a teenager and the water flying off the board was a bright green, it probably helped us become a better skier and boarder cause we sure didn't want to fall into that water! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If Ric and SBR would stay out of the water at Pigeon, this wouldn't be a problem :D

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard on the radio that it's one of the worst lakes in the province for swimmers itch too. (Prolly SBR and Ric too).

Top Bottom