Need some help with my 2010 Polaris dragon 800

Thrillbilly36

Reaction score
Looking for some help. I rebuilt my 2010 dragon 800 last year with the fix kit. Ever since it seams to be leaning out on me and tripping the det sensor. I can be riding and if I try to rev above 7000rpm or hold it wide open for more then 10-15 seconds the check engine light comes on and then a second later goes into limp mode. I found that if I unplugged the the det sensor it stops flashing the engine light and when I pull the plugs both are light brown to even white so this info tells me it's leaning out and protecting itself. When I rode it up a trail in the mountains it protected it's self (engine flashing and retarding) all the way up the trail, once at the top higher elevation, the sled ran good almost to good.
i have tried the following: Had the dealership flash it to 08 settings, changed the the spark plugs, tried diff fuel stations even ones that are working for other dragon riders, made sure the ethanol wires are unplugged, had the tps adjusted.
What should I check next? Air adjustment, spark plug wires, fuel filter,
keep in mind the sled worked fine before it blew up and I installed the fix kit.
and the reason it blew up was because of it was a factor Polaris engine, need I say more. Anyone had a simular problem. How do I fix this thing from leaning out?

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fix kit have a fuel controller? A friend just bought a '10 and it has updated pistons and a controller to richen it up.

Thrillbilly36

Reaction score
I don't have a fuel controller no. I figured you only need one if you are running after market parts. I'm bone stock, but maybe the new fix kit is throwing it off now.

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have a fuel controller no. I figured you only need one if you are running after market parts. I'm bone stock, but maybe the new fix kit is throwing it off now.
You wil blow this thing up again if you keep running it without a fuel controller. The whole issue with this engine from the beginning was a lean issue to support the Polaris EPA mandate. The Fix Kit only eliminates the piston slap in the cylinder and bumps the compression. the Controller will add fuel where the stock mapping is lean. THis is a solid engine when set up properly. it was Engineered to fail. i did mine and with the fix kit, controller and SLP stage 3 kit it rips. You MUST do everything at once to get all the benefits and reliability back into your sled. check out the Polaris IQ thread under FIX Kit you will find everythig you need there

Thrillbilly36

Reaction score
Can i Get away with running the pcv with my sled being bone stock? And do I have to set the pcv up. I'm pressed for time. I'm going on a 25th anniversary trip to valmount on march 21st. So just trying to get this lean issue resolved and then I can buy more parts later.

FYI
I replaced my fuel filter last night and the old one was very hard to blow through, and now my sled runs without leaning out, who would oh guessed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom