need help with shot gun

daddys girl

Reaction score
I have a browning auto loader 12 gauge,I never have a problem cleaning it and I keep it clean always.Today I was firing off target ammo and now my barrel will not clean.I have tried wire brushes and all sorts of cleaners and nothing is working.Dose anyone seen this before,is there some way to remove it or did I just reck my barrel.

Please help

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It could be carbon or plastic wad material coating the barrel. Either way, don't worry about it, it doesn't affect performance. I rarely clean my shotgun barrels, and never clean them spotless, and I shoot a lot of shotgun. My cleaning procedure is to spray some brake clean in, pull a bore snake through a couple times, done.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a browning auto loader 12 gauge,I never have a problem cleaning it and I keep it clean always.Today I was firing off target ammo and now my barrel will not clean.I have tried wire brushes and all sorts of cleaners and nothing is working.Dose anyone seen this before,is there some way to remove it or did I just reck my barrel.

Please help

Are you shooting slugs?
Fouling of a shot gun barrel is very common, especially with slugs or cheap lead amo. It takes effort to clean and time, most people are too much of a hurry to clean their fire arm properly or just to lazy.
When i shoot slugs it might take me a couple of hours just to clean the barrel at times. Its part of the love.
Try a Tornado cleaning gun brush. Soak the inside of your barrel in #9 hoppe's for 1/2hr, then run the tornado through it a few times. Doit over again till the patch goes through clean.

daddys girl

Reaction score
I do put the odd slug throw it but this time was bulk skeet ammo,never have had a problem before cleaning the barrel before,this stuff filled the whole gun up with crude.I soked the barrel in mineral oil over nite and then back to a copper removing brush this morning.It finally cleaned up but it took a lot of scrubbing.

I will never use cheap shells agin,I know you have to put some effort into cleaning but this was nuts.Because its a auto loader I always do a complet cleaning so the ports don't plug up.

Thanks guys for any info.I love my shot gun its the only one I can shoot with out causing my self a lot of pain.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a few shotguns I goose hunt lots and target skeet shells I clean it with bore shine works great, you gotta try cleaning a black powder rifle now that's challenging, gotta use 3 different solvents to clean that beast, as for rifles I don't clean mine I believe when you shoot and hit perfect leave it alone because your bullet will ride of the residue that's in your rifling when you remove that your bullet will fly different that's just my 2cents, I got an auto loader 12 gauge for Goose hunting, and I run steel and cheap skeet loads it fowls up but not cleaning it isn't gonna wreck it, I cleaned it once at new and haven't since and I've ran countless loads through it, your not looking for accaurcy outta a shotgun

Last edited:

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a browning semi auto aswel,I soaked and scrubbed all the parts in simple green,then air gun dry,then oiled..seen it on YouTube, worked great and didn't need expensive cleaners!

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Please help

There is a fantastic product called Wipeout, I use it on all firearms, it wont damage the gun either. Simply spray in the barrel, wait 1/2 an hour and then wipe it out. Barrel looks new every time.

Top Bottom