Jeep 4.0 rebuild/shortblock options?

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy in Calgary kinda impulse-bought a 2003 Jeep Rubicon w/6" suspension lift etc etc sounds like a nice unit however the motor is pooched blowing smoke and low on compression previous owner probably drowned it. He's got another vehicle so could probably tolerate the downtime to get it rebuilt but buying a shortblock would be easier/quicker. I have no familiarity with Jeep 4.0 inline 6 options - any suggestions where to start?

morerpmfred

Reaction score
Known issue on some years of the 4 litre is the opd ? Oil pimp drive failure.
If you want to go fast google yj and corey on pirate forum and look for his motor recipe on the 4 litre. Otherwise lots of reputable builders out there
Last tappet camshaft motor made in north america. Use a quility break oil / oil that contains zinc for the first few oil changes or longer.

avenge95

Reaction score
Check out , they do a 4.7L Stroker. I've got a '90 Cherokee with the 4.0L and had it re-built about 8 years ago local here in Edmonton. Good strong motor but I would have went with the 4.7 if I would have known about it back then.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I let him know about the Titan 4.7 and their stock longblock options. I would do the 4.7 but not my call..

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That jeep was yours Farmer88, or do you know the history on it? If it's a solid motor my buddy's definitely interested. Maybe PM me your contact info and I'll connect you guys directly to discuss..

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of options,,, If it were me I'd say fawk the 4.0L and put a Hemi or an LS motor in it...

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^ I hear ya but a V8 swap is definitely out; he's moving out of country probably next summer and only bought the jeep for shortterm vehicle so isn't into putting much money into it. I would have looked at that 4.7 stroker option 265hp/295tq rated straight6 with headers/intake/tune would be pretty practical and fun. Forged pistons too so could probably spray it if you're into mud or whatever.

edit: missed the comment on the oil pump above, thanks will do a little research on that.

Last edited:

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 91 comanche with a 4.6l stroker in it. i'm only running 33x 12.5 tires but it kicks the shat out of the 4.0l in the tj and cherokee my buddies have. lots of torque, really notice it on the road in third gear when the quad is on the back or the sled trailer behind it. it was built by the previous owner, i believe he had it done in edmonton. i could dig up the paperwork if some one was interested.i f remember it was like 1800$

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well now I want to buy a jeep and put a stroker I6 in it myself damn thread lol. Haven't heard much from buddy so pretty sure he's just gonna let the current shop look after the engine basic rebuild. Unless he contacted you Farmer I did give him your info.

Top Bottom