How long till Yamaha sinks or swims in the sled market?

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any way you look at it it better be good, sleds suck, quads suck, side by sides suck. Wow.. they are bottom of the heap now. Things have been changing fast and they have completely dropped the ball.

Got room in your mouth for your other foot?

Answer me this: Apart from the mud quad, sport UTV, and mountain sled markets, can you name one powersports segment in which BRP, Polaris, and Arctic Cat are on par with Yamaha?

Last edited:

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got room in your mouth for your other foot?

Answer me this: Apart from the mud quad, sport UTV, and mountain sled markets, can you name one powersports segment in which BRP, Polaris, and Arctic Cat are on par with Yamaha?

answer me this: other than mud quad, sport UTV, and mountain sleds, can you name another powersports segment that BRP,Polaris,Arctic Cat and Yamaha are all involved in?

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my doubts that Yamaha will sink in the snowmobile segment... My thoughts of what Yamaha has recently done in a few different categories such as RMSHA... I must say some fantastic rides and riders and stepping it up in that class, and in the Cross Country Racing. Also to mention Chris Brown for the Western Riding Segment as I believe is sponsored/endorsed by Yamaha (don't quote me on this). And let's not forget what Climbmax has done for Yamaha in Western Canada. So having said this I'm one to believe this has all been put into place for future growth and marketing. And yes with the new chassis's from Doo, Poo and AC they must catch up... As these r all fantastic rides.:cool:

Cheers..:beer:

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my doubts that Yamaha will sink in the snowmobile segment... My thoughts of what Yamaha has recently done in a few different categories such as RMSHA... I must say some fantastic rides and riders and stepping it up in that class, and in the Cross Country Racing. Also to mention Chris Brown for the Western Riding Segment as I believe is sponsored/endorsed by Yamaha (don't quote me on this). And let's not forget what Climbmax has done for Yamaha in Western Canada. So having said this I'm one to believe this has all been put into place for future growth and marketing. And yes with the new chassis's from Doo, Poo and AC they must catch up... As these r all fantastic rides.:cool:

Cheers..:beer:

Don't get me wrong, Yamaha has some great people working for them. But the guys who do the actual R&D on the sleds don't seem to take much input from the riders/general public. Chris Brown might be sponsored by Yamaha but his sled is no where near stock... Food for thought.

I'd love to see a 750cc triple four stroke turbo wrapped in a lighter more nimble chassis but so far no one wants to try it. 165hp all day long with yamaha reliability? I'd buy one.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand what your saying... As I wish also Yamaha would listen to the GP. And yes the sleds on the RMSHA and Chris Browns are not stock however I it may be part of the marketing plan.. IMO.

And as for your wish of the Nimble 165hp... I'd buy one too.

Don't get me wrong, Yamaha has some great people working for them. But the guys who do the actual R&D on the sleds don't seem to take much input from the riders/general public. Chris Brown might be sponsored by Yamaha but his sled is no where near stock... Food for thought.

I'd love to see a 750cc triple four stroke turbo wrapped in a lighter more nimble chassis but so far no one wants to try it. 165hp all day long with yamaha reliability? I'd buy one.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am pretty embarrassed with that statement maybe I did not give the rhinos a chance after 15 000 kms between the 2 of them. The grizzlys are out of the question they get there asses handed to them by pretty much every quad out there besides a honda. The mountain segment in stock form obviously needs a massive overhaul. Honestly if they are doing good in other areas great.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
answer me this: other than mud quad, sport UTV, and mountain sleds, can you name another powersports segment that BRP,Polaris,Arctic Cat and Yamaha are all involved in?

Sport ATV segment is one they are all involved in, and nobody can hold a candle to Yamaha there (and before you say it no...a renegade is not a sport quad). Polaris and Cat are so hopeless there they have to buy their sport ATV engines from Suzuki and ktm just to get something on the showroom floor. BRPs race quad is a joke in stock form and needs thousands of dollars in motor and chassis mods to be competitive at the pro level...kinda sounds like a yammi mountain sled, only the Yamaha is at least reliable. The funniest thing is that Yamaha can re-release their outdated 9-year old race quad as a budget model and it will still light up anything the other guys have.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Japanese companies are conservative by nature after the down turn in 2008 most of them held off on new models or big changes to existing models. Then the tsunami hit last year.A lot of the R&D was put-on hold.Yamaha dose not want to hurt their reputation for reliability by throwing out a bad model like Polaris and Ski-Doo did. I had a 2009 Assault loved the shed Hated the Quality alway unsure if it would crap out.So hopefully Yamaha will come out with some new models soon.They have the expertise to deliver one that is under 500 lb and 165-200 hp.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its odd though how you refer to it as tree bashing, and the two strokers consider it technical tree riding lol

must be an alberta bc thing. funny how i ride mostly in the trees on a turbo yamaha and never sit at chutes pointing up all day long.(nor do the crew i ride with) yip i ride creek ravines and tight trees. yip i drop down in to no mans land all the time and the 2 smoke guys wait till they know for sure theres a way back up or out. why is that? ive backcountry riden for 20yrs on poo, doo's and cats and guess what? ive been into nastier stuff on this big pig then i could ever of riden on my 2 smokes. i thing the term tree riding these days means to sidehill. i guess if your into sidehilling and pushing yourself along with one foot all day, then ya. you got me beat.

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
must be an alberta bc thing. funny how i ride mostly in the trees on a turbo yamaha and never sit at chutes pointing up all day long.(nor do the crew i ride with) yip i ride creek ravines and tight trees. yip i drop down in to no mans land all the time and the 2 smoke guys wait till they know for sure theres a way back up or out. why is that? ive backcountry riden for 20yrs on poo, doo's and cats and guess what? ive been into nastier stuff on this big pig then i could ever of riden on my 2 smokes. i thing the term tree riding these days means to sidehill. i guess if your into sidehilling and pushing yourself along with one foot all day, then ya. you got me beat.
After reading that I want to ride so much more :D

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree completely. Funny how when I unload I hear "not a yamapig" but by days end the comments are non-existent. The 2 smokes always want me to go first to see if its "doable", funny huh. People can bash yamahas but no motor can take the abuse of these 4 strokes. Boosted 2-smokes are becoming more common, but the engine life span is in question. I know when I go riding I wll make it home. I have had mod hill climbers and nothing does it all like my boosted yamaha.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see this, If your claims are accurate I'd love to ride with you guys. I would certainly pay your booze tab if you could follow me in the trees.
I ride mostly Valemount but will be in Revy in end of January always looking for new guys to ride with

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see this, If your claims are accurate I'd love to ride with you guys. I would certainly pay your booze tab if you could follow me in the trees.
I ride mostly Valemount but will be in Revy in end of January always looking for new guys to ride with

send me the dates for revy. If I'm there I'll bring the nypex.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jan 25 - Feb 1st. Staying at Peaks
We shouldn't be hard to find in the evenings, we'll be the hillbillies in the parking lot cooking wings and drinking black sheep and ginger lol

should get along just fine then. Haha

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol yeah have only ever met one guy in the mountains that I didn't get along with, but I'm sure I had that ch!t kicking coming for breaking that lamp at moms in 87

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol yeah have only ever met one guy in the mountains that I didn't get along with, but I'm sure I had that ch!t kicking coming for breaking that lamp at moms in 87

At that point , I bet you wished you replaced that lamp !;)

Top Bottom