Heated glove liners in trades

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To a certain degree yes, depends on how much your sweating. I guess if you sweat alot then a base layer would be much better with the wicking properties it has. Depending on how cold it is and how much 1 perspires then cotton would be ok as cotton breaths really well. The variances in the different wool variances is also very good, and if your super rich you can always opt for Alpaca/ a Sable hat to pair it with lol! I work with lots of guys in the subtrades and depending on coldness and a few other factors they dress/warm up accordingly. Most though when it's -20-25 not gonna happen as most hand tools they use don't like that even cordless ones. So they do not even come out and try and start zoom booms/compressors nor use hand tools. All it would take is 1 guy to slip and fall to the ground off a roof or truss and OHS would have a field day and no one would be working so why risk it. The patch was different when i worked there though all kinds of temps, remember 1 very well St Paul area -55 with wind and we still went out but did nothing for 4hrs then went back to the hotel:) But worked in all kinds of temps in NWT, AB, Sask, BC crazy now that i think back but toughed it out. My Ole man worked -65 in Prudoh Bay with the trucks nosed into snowbanks running luke warm idled up waiting so they could drop the rig crazy times.
Gnarly stuff man, I can’t even wrap my head around -65 lol

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
T

Try something a little thicker like those grease monkey gloves as latex does wear out after awhile depending on what your doing. Use as the base layer then whatever over top. Because they are rubber/latex your hand don't wet except for sweat but they aren't exposed to the elements. Only a hassle if you have to take them off frequently
I’ll grab some of those next time I’m at crappy tire, thanks for the advice man

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ll grab some of those next time I’m at crappy tire, thanks for the advice man
Ultimately sheep wool mitts would be the chit, but i know riding with mitts is not easy. But i would keep a good set of mitts on hand as these keep all the digits together warm/toasty lol!!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting, so in theory a cotton top/mid would be best over a merino wool layer?

Currently for sledding I wear merino base layer, joggers and layer klim 1.0/2.0 long sleeves on top all under a lochsa. I do get cold but that’s if I’m not riding. When I am riding I find the vents help quite a bit in keeping me from sweating.

But anyway, reading what you said I should be after cotton liners and use those gorilla latex type gloves underneath like swat suggested

When I comes to emergency survival situations like sledding, I will not wear it. Cotton increase the risk of hypothermia.

I wear other layered clothing for sledding.
Remember Work is a different situation because, we have ways protect ourselves on site.
My new work shirts are 100% cotton.

Some guys wear the cotton liners in their work gloves but I find personally, I loose dexterity when trying to handle small nuts and bolts.
Try and find a glove that you think that will keep you warm and still function for your task.

Last edited:
Top Bottom