Heated glove liners in trades

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do any of you that work in the bitter cold use these type of liners?

I wonder how crappy dexterity would be with them

They popped up on my Amazon suggested list and got me all sorts of curious

Heated Glove Liners for Men Women,Rechargeable Electric Battery Heating Riding Ski Snowboarding Hiking Cycling Hunting Thin Gloves Hand Warmer Arthritis&Raynaud's Amazon product ASIN B083SCW7VY

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No never used them because I don't have a vagina :LOL:

Half kidding, half following because my hands can't take the cold for chit anymore.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those little white liners always worked well, another trick from my roughneck days was to wear those latex gloves inside the green kings or whatever. Air tight, stays warm and keeps your hands clean. The heavier rubber mechanics gloves they have now are probably a better route than the old latex ones though

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No never used them because I don't have a vagina :LOL:

Half kidding, half following because my hands can't take the cold for chit anymore.
Hahah hey now, if I had feelings that would hurt

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I even work with 3rd world immigrants here and there….never seen anyone ever puss out lol
Any good boss will always tell you “there’s heat in them tools” get to work

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those little white liners always worked well, another trick from my roughneck days was to wear those latex gloves inside the green kings or whatever. Air tight, stays warm and keeps your hands clean. The heavier rubber mechanics gloves they have now are probably a better route than the old latex ones
I usually wear a liner and latex on top under riggers gloves. But they still get cold after awhile of working outside. My hands are generally cold to the touch even inside the house

I will try just the latex as liner, thanks for the tip!

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I even work with 3rd world immigrants here and there….never seen anyone ever puss out lol
Any good boss will always tell you “there’s heat in them tools” get to work
Lol ya I hear that, if I’m working my entire body I don’t really get cold. But if I’m laying on my driveway doing an oil change my body doesn’t heat up too much

When I’m out riding I try and minimize lengthy stops, does the trick to keep my hands warm

Maybe I should just start doing jumping jacks in the driveway haha

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol ya I hear that, if I’m working my entire body I don’t really get cold. But if I’m laying on my driveway doing an oil change my body doesn’t heat up too much

When I’m out riding I try and minimize lengthy stops, does the trick to keep my hands warm

Maybe I should just start doing jumping jacks in the driveway haha
I think a lot of it is all in the mind, once you’ve accepted coldness your good to go, the worst part of being cold,is getting cold,once your cold your good,I haven’t seen a temperature yet in Canada that can’t be worked in but machines and tools breaking fast!

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used to ride my sled with just the hand warmers on no gloves it would have to be minus 10 and lower to put gloves on now that the age has crept up on me have no circulation in my hands and the tips of my fingers freeze

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of it is all in the mind, once you’ve accepted coldness your good to go, the worst part of being cold,is getting cold,once your cold your good,I haven’t seen a temperature yet in Canada that can’t be worked in but machines and tools breaking fast!
Ya, that makes sense man!

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's uncomfortable cold, which most of us sledders learn to deal with. And there's 'hands won't operate' cold, which can be a real problem.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's uncomfortable cold, which most of us sledders learn to deal with. And there's 'hands won't operate' cold, which can be a real problem.

Big difference between sledding and being able to wear massive gloves, and trying to wear gloves where you can still use your hands for tools, etc.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use insulated ropers and insulated mechanics gloves. The biggest thing is moisture control, it don’t matter how good the glove is, if it’s slightly wet or damp working with tools makes it even worse.
Cotton coveralls and cotton work shirt and pants is also something I switch to in the winter, It had to be bloody cold for me to put thick winter bibs on.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big difference between sledding and being able to wear massive gloves, and trying to wear gloves where you can still use your hands for tools, etc.
Ya, for sure. The thing that interests me about heated liners is being able to wear thinner mech type gloves to retain dexterity

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use insulated ropers and insulated mechanics gloves. The biggest thing is moisture control, it don’t matter how good the glove is, if it’s slightly wet or damp working with tools makes it even worse.
Cotton coveralls and cotton work shirt and pants is also something I switch to in the winter, It had to be bloody cold for me to put thick winter bibs on.
I thought cotton is a no no cause it retains moisture ?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yep, your correct but it blocks the wind and cold very well. I wear a mark work wear house base layer, than layer up like sledding gear. Some guys look at me, and ask why I’m not wearing a parka and bibs, and offer me a coat because I look cold to them.
I cannot wear cotton arch flash rated coveralls in the summer, I go back to nomex.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To a certain degree yes, depends on how much your sweating. I guess if you sweat alot then a base layer would be much better with the wicking properties it has. Depending on how cold it is and how much 1 perspires then cotton would be ok as cotton breaths really well. The variances in the different wool variances is also very good, and if your super rich you can always opt for Alpaca/ a Sable hat to pair it with lol! I work with lots of guys in the subtrades and depending on coldness and a few other factors they dress/warm up accordingly. Most though when it's -20-25 not gonna happen as most hand tools they use don't like that even cordless ones. So they do not even come out and try and start zoom booms/compressors nor use hand tools. All it would take is 1 guy to slip and fall to the ground off a roof or truss and OHS would have a field day and no one would be working so why risk it. The patch was different when i worked there though all kinds of temps, remember 1 very well St Paul area -55 with wind and we still went out but did nothing for 4hrs then went back to the hotel:) But worked in all kinds of temps in NWT, AB, Sask, BC crazy now that i think back but toughed it out. My Ole man worked -65 in Prudoh Bay with the trucks nosed into snowbanks running luke warm idled up waiting so they could drop the rig crazy times.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I used to firefight in old days, we would wear two pairs of wool mitts, get them wet and the outer pair would some how freeze and the inside would stay warm. Could still grab things with them on. Then they went to these gloves today and never was the same.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
T
I usually wear a liner and latex on top under riggers gloves. But they still get cold after awhile of working outside. My hands are generally cold to the touch even inside the house

I will try just the latex as liner, thanks for the tip!
Try something a little thicker like those grease monkey gloves as latex does wear out after awhile depending on what your doing. Use as the base layer then whatever over top. Because they are rubber/latex your hand don't wet except for sweat but they aren't exposed to the elements. Only a hassle if you have to take them off frequently

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, your correct but it blocks the wind and cold very well. I wear a mark work wear house base layer, than layer up like sledding gear. Some guys look at me, and ask why I’m not wearing a parka and bibs, and offer me a coat because I look cold to them.
I cannot wear cotton arch flash rated coveralls in the summer, I go back to nomex.
Interesting, so in theory a cotton top/mid would be best over a merino wool layer?

Currently for sledding I wear merino base layer, joggers and layer klim 1.0/2.0 long sleeves on top all under a lochsa. I do get cold but that’s if I’m not riding. When I am riding I find the vents help quite a bit in keeping me from sweating.

But anyway, reading what you said I should be after cotton liners and use those gorilla latex type gloves underneath like swat suggested

Top Bottom