Graves creek - n.w montana!

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Hi

We were down in your neck of the woods this weekend and toured around the Graves Creek area for a bit looking for new sledding areas. We are thinking of heading down for a trip January 1-7th, 2012. We are thinking of booking the Whitetail lodge is this a sled friendly place? Any other recommendations of sled friendly places to stay? Can you tell me were you launch from? Is it the Birch Creek place or lower down and then you ride the rode up? Any issues with getting a 28 foot enclosed up there? Also we sled with kids ranging from 5 to 16 so we aren't looking for anything too extreme will this area be okay?

Thanks!!!

Jan

09 Blue Ski-Doo

Reaction score
You'll like the area, lots of different terain for all skill types, i would lodge at the graves creek cabins, riverstone lodge or one of the hotels in Eureka, much closer and friendlier than the flathead. No problem with the trailer, we launch from birch creek and it's groomed from there.

hilinerider

Reaction score
question to the peeps, does the new conservation easement with stimson affect riding??

09 Blue Ski-Doo

Reaction score
Ten Lakes!!!!!!!
Hazardous weather condition(s):

This Afternoon: Snow showers and areas of blowing snow. High near 21. South southwest wind around 17 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow showers and areas of blowing snow. Temperature rising to around 24 by 4am. Breezy, with a south southwest wind between 17 and 23 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Tuesday: Snow showers and areas of blowing snow. High near 31. Breezy, with a south southwest wind between 17 and 22 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.

Tuesday Night: Snow showers and areas of blowing snow. Low around 30. Breezy, with a south southwest wind around 23 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Wednesday: Snow showers. High near 34. Breezy, with a south southwest wind around 22 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Wednesday Night: Snow showers. Low around 24. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Thanksgiving Day: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 28. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Thursday Night: Snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 19.

Friday: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 24.

Friday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.

Saturday: Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26.

Saturday Night: Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25.

Sunday: A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 30.

Puckaneer19

Reaction score
To the Eureka locals,

Looking to do some exploring around the Eureka to Whitefish areas starting Xmas through the rest of the season. We have a place at Glen Lk and have the option to trailer up to Birch or even to the Olney area. The wife is really after me to get another sled and make a day of exploring the Olney to Whitefish summit and back. Can you enlighten me as to the time needed, mileage and permits needed? (Non resident). We rented a few years ago and it was a disaster, never again, I'll take my own sled(s). I currently have a '99 700 RMK and I am looking a newer model 700 - 800 RMK.

Also, I have a few freinds who are interested in touring the area but I am a little wary of the terrain regarding the sleds they are currently riding, they are more suited for the trails and flat lands than the mountains. Would they be able to navigate the trails around Graves creek without having to pull them out every few hundred feet? (One ia an older summit, the other is a smaller 440 Yamaha, neither would have more than a 136 track, both are mechanically sound however).

09 Blue Ski-Doo

Reaction score
Graves creek has a nice system of groomed trails that will work for any sled, and there is every type of terain once you get off the road. Not too sure about the time needed to go from Olney to the summit, but it'll take most all day i'm sure....

09 Blue Ski-Doo

Reaction score
I've rounded the corner! It feels pretty good lately! How ya been? Get that old sled out and blow the cobwebs off it's almost time! One more good night and i should be all back together! :)

09 Blue Ski-Doo

Reaction score
I had a siezure issue the last ride.... My Buddies at Dream Marine got me goin again, i'm hearin December 3rd, 9am!!!

Attachments

• IMAG0046.jpg
    IMAG0046.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 158

BuckHorn

Reaction score
It is time to get the chatter going here. Now the Cane can talk to us. Winter time friends or not. Blue Ski-doo is headed to watch those damn Griz on Saturday now. I will be in full Cat gear that day and am willing to go unless Sunday would be better. Let me know and it will happen.

09 Blue Ski-Doo

Reaction score
I can't believe you would even consider going without me!! Just kidding... But not really... I'm going to try to go for a while sunday if anybody's interested...

BuckHorn

Reaction score
I can't believe you would even consider going without me!! Just kidding... But not really... I'm going to try to go for a while sunday if anybody's interested...

Dragon Lady wants to see pictures from our ride on Sunday. Hopefully we will get some more snow. It was great being in the pass again but we were lucky that no one had damage to their sleds.

SLDHEAD

Reaction score
Went up a couple weekends ago,, was hoping that snotel had a glitch,,, guessing you saw the same, that it doesn't. Brutal.
With a pile dumped down in Keeler and an even bigger pile dumping up north I'm now calling this the dead zone, or the doughnut hole.

BuckHorn

Reaction score
Since we have time to get organized (no snow sucks), we need to revisit our bylaws, outline unfinished business (Ty & Willie induction), work on a sacrifice to the snow gods and figure out if Cane actually exists. We are playing a ride to Weasel Cabin on Sunday to cut some fire wood and discuss these topics. Probably burn some cow on the BBQ and have a bottle or two of Boones. Anyone in?

blackberry dragon lady

Reaction score
Buckhorn.... we need to figure out when the first offical BFRT dinner will be. We need to give me time to order the life size flat kevin to have on hand...since it seems we see more of flat kevin then we do the real one.

Last edited:

BuckHorn

Reaction score
The BDL needs input on a dinner time and date. Life sized Flat Kevy would be cool. It could probably drink and eat more that way. I was thinking the Dec 30th if Coleman can get off work earlier enough. Maybe a ride on new years eve day in three feet of powder. If you dream it, it will happen-right!!!

Top Bottom