Garage paint

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Thinking about painting 20 year drywall. What's the easiest /cheapest way to do it? Do I need to prime first? Isn't there some kind of paint that's got built in primer so I can just give it a quick splash?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suggest wash with tsp and prime first. Then 2 good coats of paint

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went through this and so did a neighbor (at my old place). We have a common buddy who is a drywaller. His suggestion was to either tear down and re-drywall, or go with several coats of oil-based primer over the whole thing after mud and tape. I tore all my drywall down and started from scratch, was re-boarded, mudded, taped, primed, stippled in 5 days. Neighbor took several weeks of horrible smelling oil primer with the yellow color continuing to show through...but eventually it looked fine.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New drywall sounds like the answer

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went through this and so did a neighbor (at my old place). We have a common buddy who is a drywaller. His suggestion was to either tear down and re-drywall, or go with several coats of oil-based primer over the whole thing after mud and tape. I tore all my drywall down and started from scratch, was re-boarded, mudded, taped, primed, stippled in 5 days. Neighbor took several weeks of horrible smelling oil primer with the yellow color continuing to show through...but eventually it looked fine.

white tin and done!!

Reaction score
you could just board over the old stuff. Save the work of tearing it down, removing nails/screws, cleaning up mess, etc....Fire rated walls have two layers of drywall. Should have no issues. 3/8" at Home Depot about $9 for 4x8 sheet, use longer screws

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
So what you're all saying is the old drywall will soak up too much paint?

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I'm not trying to make a show home . Just thought since I'm cleaning the whole place out for my fancy new costco shelves I'd spruce it up a little. If it isn't quick and dirty (cheap and easy) it will stay the way it is. Wasn't even planning on taping. Just a quick splash of paint.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 on the kilz, buy good quality paint !!

Last edited:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seriously you can't just paint it? Like you said it's a garage don't need to be perfect.
Am I the only one that thinks it's crazy stripping off good drywall, re-taping and installing new drywall just for painting? Could always slap on some paint on part of the wall and see how it turns out first.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seriously you can't just paint it? Like you said it's a garage don't need to be perfect.
Am I the only one that thinks it's crazy stripping off good drywall, re-taping and installing new drywall just for painting? Could always slap on some paint on part of the wall and see how it turns out first.
Try painting 10-20 yr old yellow drywall and get back to us....

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not trying to make a show home . Just thought since I'm cleaning the whole place out for my fancy new costco shelves I'd spruce it up a little. If it isn't quick and dirty (cheap and easy) it will stay the way it is. Wasn't even planning on taping. Just a quick splash of paint.

Mikey's garage with shelves...... I think Plio is going to have a hay day moving chit around in your garage.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Ya I just wanted to brighten things up a little. Wasn't even going to tape. This is starting to sound like a huge project. Think I'll just sweep the floor and get some brighter light bulbs.

Top Bottom