DIY wake shaper for surfing

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a 05 svfara 696 that I have got to put out a pretty decent wave by adding fat sacs. But seeing the new boats with the automated wake shapers and seeing a few aftermarket kits I decided to make my own. These allow you to run just stock ballast and can switch sides for surfing much quicker. I used 1/2" thick aluminum for the plates and just a pin in the sleave to remove them when not surfing. Can't wait to get out and give them a try.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 626
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 602
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 563
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 585
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 583

jerrydecoy

Reaction score
X2!!! Let us know how it works. We got out last weekend in the drysuits for a lil' surfing. Since we don't get winters here in north Idaho anymore I may have to start boating year round!

Sent from my iPad using

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know our Malibu is re enforced where the surf gate is. I'd keep a eye on your mounting points. There is a ton of force on that gate!

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree on the pressure. They will only go on once the ballasts are full and ready to surf. The newer boats automatically retract over 14 mph. So will keep the speed down when there out.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know our Malibu is re enforced where the surf gate is. I'd keep a eye on your mounting points. There is a ton of force on that gate!

What angle do you find gives the best wave on your Malibu? And do you run even ballast or still load the surf side heavier?

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We run water in all the tanks at different levels. Depends on how many people in boat. We are still playing with it a lot. I'm finding running more ballast in front tank helps more then anything. But EVERY boat is different. The gate is not adjustable. The wedge is!

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a 05 svfara 696 that I have got to put out a pretty decent wave by adding fat sacs. But seeing the new boats with the automated wake shapers and seeing a few aftermarket kits I decided to make my own. These allow you to run just stock ballast and can switch sides for surfing much quicker. I used 1/2" thick aluminum for the plates and just a pin in the sleave to remove them when not surfing. Can't wait to get out and give them a try.

Looking for an update, how does it work?
Any problems structurally?

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Structurally the wave plates worked very good. Still fine tuning the ballast. I loaded all 4 ballast for 1100 lbs and the plate on starboard side. Which gave a long wave but not a deep wave. I've since gone back to loading up the surf side ballast and rear and with extra fat sacs. The pic below shows how it affects the wave , that is full factory ballast only.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 219
Top Bottom