can i use av fuel in my articat

cat_rider

Reaction score
I have a 2010 artic cat 1100 turbo Z1, four stroke with a boon docker 2.0 chip and need more octane to run it i was told bi some friends that av fuel would not run in this sled and others said it would be best. i was wondering if any one on here new anything about this and if to run it straight or mix it with other fuel how much? thanks

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Av fuel is generally pretty dirty, otherwise guys would be running it in their race cars.

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have a buddy running a two gallons or so to a tank and it resolved his octane light issue on his 1100t. another one running 12 lbs boost on a race gas 1000 t no issues. personally have ran av gas in several big bore/high comp cat engines with no issue for several years. available at most airports with a credit card from automated pumps, and for 20 cents a litre more than premium, cheap insurance.

Prairie Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the EZ jacker on my 2012 1100T and ran straight AV gas with it. Turned it up to 260hp and never had the octane light go off. I ran AV gas in both my T-Nytro and T-Apex prior to this sled and never had any issues with fueling.

Treedragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AV gas is really dry too. So can be hard on seals. Best to run a race fuel like VP !
Just a thought but if you add a little oil to each tank would be cheaper than VP. I've ran AV gas with a little oil for three seasons now with no issues.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AV gas is not dirty fuel very well refined alittle dry just use a couple oz of metalon in each tank
Yes Av gas is one of the most regulated fuel out there. Its the cleanest fuel you will get and yes a little oil helps.

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
Av gas is not dirty in any way. If it was there would be a lot more plane crashes and dead people. The whole "dry" thing is so misunderstood. By aviation standards Av gas has has to be "dry" meaning no moisture or water content. Fuel does not and will not lubricate your cylinders. The oil does. Pilots refer to "mo gas" which is an aviation term for car gas as "wet". There isn't enough precautions with "mo gas" to insure that there is no moisture in the fuel. There are always very good filters and water separators on AV gas pumps. Having your air plane carb freeze on take off would be a disaster. As far as how well it works for octane I've tested it against VP C12 on my 12.5:1 comp 454 on the dyno. No detonation and zero high rpm problems. Also run straight AV on my race gas impulse Nytro at 21 psi all day every day without ever having a fuel problem. Airplanes run 4 strk piston engines that may look different, (round radial, or horizontally opposed), but they have no special design to operate with less lubricated fuel. Pistons are pistons and rings are rings and its the oil that lubricates them. Sorry for the long answer but I've been around aviation fuel my whole life and it's so annoying what myths people believe. Only down fall in using AV in snowmobiles is cold weather starting. You will find that on the first start of the day your sled will either turn over longer (4 strk) or you will have to pull a lot more times (2 strk). After the engine is warm there is no difference. Yes aviation engines generally by rule run at way less rpm then sled or car engines. With saying that my 454 can spin to 7500 rpm and make 660HP on the dyno without any problems or issues with straight AV gas. A lot of aviation engines are turboed or supercharged, so AV gas was always intended to be used under boost. Our classic 1952 Cessna 195 has a 750 cubic inch turbo charged radial engine that makes 350hp at 2500 rpm with a single pressurized monster big carb fueling 7 cylinders. How's that for being ahead of the times? AV gas is a safe cheaper alternative to a $700+ barrel of race fuel to a point. Race fuel companies and dealers and back yard mechanics will argue all this till there turn blue. I've used it in all my high performance engines, and have never had a problem caused by the fuel. You will find though that over a long period of time there will be small deposits on the spark plugs. This is the lead in 100LL (low lead) Av gas. Also one extra bonus is AV has stabilizers built into it so it can sit for months, even years without going stale as long as its sealed. Just look at all the small planes at your local airports that only fly a couple times a year. They never put fuel stabilizer in them. It just keeps.

hymee

Reaction score
I agree 100%.My friend ran his AlpinE 350 HP RX-1 for 16,000 kms with no issues over fuel.I've nver had issues either.
Av gas is not dirty in any way. If it was there would be a lot more plane crashes and dead people. The whole "dry" thing is so misunderstood. By aviation standards Av gas has has to be "dry" meaning no moisture or water content. Fuel does not and will not lubricate your cylinders. The oil does. Pilots refer to "mo gas" which is an aviation term for car gas as "wet". There isn't enough precautions with "mo gas" to insure that there is no moisture in the fuel. There are always very good filters and water separators on AV gas pumps. Having your air plane carb freeze on take off would be a disaster. As far as how well it works for octane I've tested it against VP C12 on my 12.5:1 comp 454 on the dyno. No detonation and zero high rpm problems. Also run straight AV on my race gas impulse Nytro at 21 psi all day every day without ever having a fuel problem. Airplanes run 4 strk piston engines that may look different, (round radial, or horizontally opposed), but they have no special design to operate with less lubricated fuel. Pistons are pistons and rings are rings and its the oil that lubricates them. Sorry for the long answer but I've been around aviation fuel my whole life and it's so annoying what myths people believe. Only down fall in using AV in snowmobiles is cold weather starting. You will find that on the first start of the day your sled will either turn over longer (4 strk) or you will have to pull a lot more times (2 strk). After the engine is warm there is no difference. Yes aviation engines generally by rule run at way less rpm then sled or car engines. With saying that my 454 can spin to 7500 rpm and make 660HP on the dyno without any problems or issues with straight AV gas. A lot of aviation engines are turboed or supercharged, so AV gas was always intended to be used under boost. Our classic 1952 Cessna 195 has a 750 cubic inch turbo charged radial engine that makes 350hp at 2500 rpm with a single pressurized monster big carb fueling 7 cylinders. How's that for being ahead of the times? AV gas is a safe cheaper alternative to a $700+ barrel of race fuel to a point. Race fuel companies and dealers and back yard mechanics will argue all this till there turn blue. I've used it in all my high performance engines, and have never had a problem caused by the fuel. You will find though that over a long period of time there will be small deposits on the spark plugs. This is the lead in 100LL (low lead) Av gas. Also one extra bonus is AV has stabilizers built into it so it can sit for months, even years without going stale as long as its sealed. Just look at all the small planes at your local airports that only fly a couple times a year. They never put fuel stabilizer in them. It just keeps.

Top Bottom