bought a 2001 RMK 800 151 track

spike7ss

Reaction score
Well I just picked up a 2001 Polaris 800 RMK 151 track, anything I should look out for? This is my first polaris, my other sled is an EFI arctic cat. This sled already has SLP hood screens over the gauges, SLP ceramic twin pipes and can, Digetron 3 window, fox shocks, extroverts, and riser.

Everything looks to be in good shape, hoods got some damage but its all in one piece. Any info anyone can provide would be much appriciated

Thanks

Attachments

• 01 rmk 800 1.jpg
    01 rmk 800 1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 388
  • 01 rmk 800 3.jpg
    01 rmk 800 3.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 289
  • 01 rmk 800 4.jpg
    01 rmk 800 4.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 243
  • 01 rmk 800 5.jpg
    01 rmk 800 5.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 420
  • 01 rmk 800 6.jpg
    01 rmk 800 6.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 01 rmk 800 7.jpg
    01 rmk 800 7.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 247

The Snowman

Reaction score
yeah when you get 2,4,6 thousand k on it your motor is going to blow each time,

just a little tip from my old 2001 rmk

Captain-sno

Reaction score
For one, the handle bar shaft is hollow unless the last owner had a solid piece of steel welded in. I would have that done right away if it has not been done. Rolled mine almost at Turtle (Revy) and it snapped the steering bar in two. Pete at the sled shed told me this is common. He welded a solid piece in for me. I had to leave the sled overnight on the mountain and come back with a steel sleave to fit over the 2 pieces and with a cordless drill, drill a hole through and bolt.....almost a helicopter ride to get out.

Second, they are famous for breaking the water pump belt. (every 1000-2000km) The belt is a small belt, and is really cheap....carry an extra one. You can tell when it breaks because it will over heat in a hurry. If you try to drive it out, you will melt it down. It gets so hot, it won't shut off and the piston is red hot and ignites the fuel. Maybe what Snowman is referring to as alot of guys don't notice and pistons and cylinders are destroyed.

Third, don't know about all of them, but mine had a harder time turning left than right...had to really pull it over.

ONE AND TWO ABOVE ARE IMPORTANT! Talk to Pete at the sled shed in Revy...he knows these machines inside out...he used to be nick named Polaris Pete! I sold him my 2001 RMK for parts just before spring last year, so if you need anything....he has it.

rdr99

Reaction score
Check crank runout. I have broke two of them, one with the extra-bearing installed. Clutch maintenance is paramount, check weights, spiders and rollers. I always have the clutches balanced, even the brand new ones. Like posted above, watch out for the noodle steering post. Wildchild makes a great chromoly one that we run in our sleds.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I have the "Wildchild" steering post in my 2001 Polaris, works extremely well.
Bearings have been a problem but I had mine rebuilt just over a year ago and although I had the bearings replaced, mine were fine.
Good sled, have very few complaints about mine.

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got 5000 miles on my 2001 bought it brand new never had any problems with it. I do lots of regular maintenance. I run 2000 miles on top end and at 4000miles I put a new crank in it, did the driveshaft bearings at 4000 miles just as maintenance. It's been the best sled I've ever owned the only thing I can remember breaking is a tie-rod end. I'm also running a wildchild steering post and would recommend his products!

bones01

Reaction score
i have a 2000 rmk700 151, i steers like crap with the sway bar in. zip cut yours out. i'm 6'1" and the steering post with a 4" in is to low, just put in a 8 1/2" pivot riser. the best improvement is the sway bar get rid of IT. :d

spike7ss

Reaction score
So what is this sled, an edge, a genII? Seems like theres more involved than my old arctic cat, pull the cord and ride it hahaha.

Im going to get all new belts, and spares, just to be on the safe side. What kinda oil do these things like? Fuel octane?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, new to the polaris thing

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good old iron !!! Talk to Ted @ Terra Alps. He will make it rock.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what is this sled, an edge, a genII? Seems like theres more involved than my old arctic cat, pull the cord and ride it hahaha.

Im going to get all new belts, and spares, just to be on the safe side. What kinda oil do these things like? Fuel octane?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, new to the polaris thing

spike, it's a Gen II. I owned one for four years - it never left me stranded on the hill. I changed my first waterpump belt at 2,000 miles and sold the sled at 4,200 miles with the second belt still on it. I ran a really cheap oil the first season and it cost me. Checked crank runout at the end of the season and found .006" runout. Found very rough bearings. Had the crank rebuilt at Cycle Works and started running Shell Advance synthetic oil. I also really stayed on top of clutch maintenance, especially the weight bushings. I would replace these at least a couple times a season and if they get too worn, it could affect crankshaft life. When I sold my sled, the rebuilt crank had over 3,000 miles on it and as far as I know, it's still going strong.

SnowXTC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went 7000 miles on the OEM crank, Amsoil Racing 2000 (now Dominator) and 2 gallons AV gas to 10 gallons Premimum.

The sled does better with the SLP single, the twins are better than stock. I would be happy to help you with setup. I never had a problem with the steering that I can remember, but mine became a mod sled in 2002, at least body wise.

I have never had to replace the water pump belt on the hill, but do carry one. I recommend you do the belts and consider doing the chaincase bearings and bearings on the drive and jackshafts. You can use the bearings with the collars and cut the collars off for the bearings opposite the chaincase. Dealer wants over $40 US a bearing; the ones with the collars are under $14 each. Buy an extra, especially if they have to order them.

I too have a Wildchild post on 3 of 4 Polaris's. I also have his big wheel kit.

You will really like the sled.

How many miles? I was still getting 74 hp at the track at 4000 ft (which is really good track hp) when I finally did the bearing update. Ask for some receipts if the seller said the bearings have been updated. If they have not and you have over 2000 miles, you got a lucky sled. But at this point I would consider and plan to do the crank update. Better to be safe than sorry.

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking at a 2001 800 rmk with a 2003 engine in it with electronic reverse
How are the newer 800 engines
also it has a 155 track on it
I see there is a sort of steady bearing dappled on the steerign collum it is a couple peices of rod with a washer on top

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking at a 2001 800 rmk with a 2003 engine in it with electronic reverse
How are the newer 800 engines
also it has a 155 track on it
I see there is a sort of steady bearing dappled on the steerign collum it is a couple peices of rod with a washer on top
What are they asking for it? I have the same sled with 2003 jugs but I have mechanical reverse and a 153" track. I'm just wondering what mine is worth. Mines been trouble free.

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can get it for 3200
is in nice shape and runs good

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats about what I though mine was worth. Some people still think these sleds are worth gold, seen them for sale as high as $5500 but with a lot less miles then mine. There was a kit out to add another bearning up high on the steering post I'm thinking that is what it has. I found the best thing to do it get a wildchild post made out of chrome moly.

SnowXTC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wildchild's post is the way to go. I also added a Holtz steering bracket. My post is 3/4" longer than stock. That with titanium Cat bars gives me more than a 6 inch rise. It is awesome.

spike7ss

Reaction score
Where can you get one of those wildchild posts? Ive looked around and havent found anything.

Dropped my sled off to have it looked over since I havent had a chance to and got the word it needs nothing. The dam thing is near new. We are figuring on around 1000 miles on the sled. Are these sleds dropped and rolled from factory?

Captain-sno

Reaction score
Where can you get one of those wildchild posts? Ive looked around and havent found anything.

Dropped my sled off to have it looked over since I havent had a chance to and got the word it needs nothing. The dam thing is near new. We are figuring on around 1000 miles on the sled. Are these sleds dropped and rolled from factory?

I'm pretty sure Wildchild that is usually on Snowest is the right guy.

He lives in Lumby. You can PM him from there. Here is a recent post with him in the conversation.
ski doo brace - SnoWest Forum

spike7ss

Reaction score
Finally took this thing out a weekend ago to Valemount. Man does this thing rip. It just works. Everytime I look at it I find something else the previous owner has done, and alot has been spent on it.

One thing I have notice is it doesnt like the quarter throttle, it likes to be opened up. Has a few minor bugs to work out, like hand warmers dont work but that all can be fixed.

800polaris

Reaction score
Crank Pins. Polaris 800's are known for snapping crank pins, just get new ones around 3000mi. I see you have a set of twins with the boost bottle. I have the identical sled same engine mods and its rediculas...wicked torque , just a 144 not a 151. If you havent rode it yet, your gonna love it. They look waay better without the windshield, bar risers and some sort of aftermarket bar. Good buy :beer::beer::beer:

Top Bottom