230 lb MAN VS 125 cc Dirtbike

boiler146

Reaction score
Hello All
Never been on a Dirtbike before, not sure if I would like it or if I should just stick with four wheels. Friend of mine has a 1999 Kawasaki 125 for 1000. The price is relative to most adds in kijiji and buyandsell.com. My concern is myself being a larger frame person :d (lol), and the bike being only 125cc :nono: ??? Is there a problem here or NOT?? :confused:
Some wisdom please. If a 125 is not possible please suggest a good starter bike!

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 125cc would be ok for just learning. But really you should be looking at a 250 if you want to get out and hit some trails in the future. Im 160lb and getting a 250f hopefully this year.

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im 200lbs and my 250 two stroke is a blast, 125 may be a good starter bike but im sure u will soon be wanting to trade up. If u go four stroke i would suggest a 450.

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your just startin off the 125 will be great, or look at a 200-250 four stroke, the nice thing about the 4 strokes is ou probably wont get as bored with them as you get more comfortable on a bike as you will with the 125, just depends on how you end up riding

boiler146

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses peeps. Upon my own further investigating I realized I would be happier with at least a 250. Now the search begins!!

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You, my large friend, have 3 big issues facing you that should be influencing your decision.

1. your size. you will need a bike that will be able to handle YOU. let alone you handling it. a 125 2-stroke bike was designed for racers on their way to the 250's. we are talking 135-160lbs.

2. price. you dont want to be out buying up a damn expensive bike if you admittedly are very inexperienced. you dont even knwo yet if this is a PASSION for you.

3. Style of riding. I'm thinking you wont be doing much motocross racing right away. you will be learning the basics. not clearing 50 foot doubles.

With this being said, i wouldnt even recomend a 250 2-stroke. All of the major manufacturers have made bikes that are perfect for a beginner.

The Honda XR line was excellent. i would keep my eyes open for honda XR400's on kijiji. those bikes are just bullit proof! bike wont start? pull out the plug and hold a lighter under it. slap 'er back in and BOOM. bike back to life!

Suzuki DR400's were also an excellent bike. with a bike like that you dont ave to continually be checking valve clearances.

Yamaha's WR line, and kawasaki's KLX or KDX lines also are pretty solid. each of those bikes will give you great "used bike value" for resale, and enough power to keep you happy. they'll climb any hill a beginner would want to climb, and chug along through any trail. They would also all be able to withstand small to medium sized jumps should you want to hit them.

a 250 2-stroke, or any of the 250-F's simply are not what you should be looking for. you will not find yourself learning how to be a good rider on either of those bikes. A starter bike will bring you right where you want to be in a year of riding so that you can TRANSITION in to one of those bikes.

This, is just an opinion of another rider on this forum. look around, go for the bike your HEART tells you to. Just try and use your head during your first purchase as well as your heart.

Johnny

The Arborist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello All
Never been on a Dirtbike before, not sure if I would like it or if I should just stick with four wheels. Friend of mine has a 1999 Kawasaki 125 for 1000. The price is relative to most adds in kijiji and buyandsell.com. My concern is myself being a larger frame person :d (lol), and the bike being only 125cc :nono: ??? Is there a problem here or NOT?? :confused:
Some wisdom please. If a 125 is not possible please suggest a good starter bike!

I was in the same situation two years ago, I went out and bought a wr450 (4 stroke) There is no doubt that it was way to big of a bike for me at the time. After two years of riding I have just started to get a true feel for this bike (it is still a "big" bike in my mind) I'm sure that learning would have been alot easier on a smaller bike.
Not sure how you plan to ride, we live in the mountians and have endless logging roads and rough mountain trails to ride so a four stroke is perfect for me but a 250 may have been a better fit!

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great starter bike but be prepared to want a 250 next season. Price is right though...buy it and have fun.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your money on a 125cc 2-stroke. They are way under-powered unless you are wide open. They have no bottom end torque for playing on the trails. A 450 4-stroke is a huge power bike that has the capabilities of hurting a beginner rider, and may sour you for dirt bikes. I would take the advice for a Honda XR, 250-400cc. They are a perfect beginner-intermediate bike. Unfortuneatly, they are really hard to find. A YZF250 4-stroke is a little more race ready, but an excellent choice as well. Whatever way you go, make sure you invest in a pair of riding boots for ankle support, and a good chest protector, because a trip over the bars is almost inevitable on a dirt bike.

boiler146

Reaction score
Excellent advice all and thank you. I keep my eyes closely peeled to kijiji / buyandsell / autotrader every day. If I manage to find something I will post a snap shot and some details!! thanks again:beer:

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
may have a buddy interested in that 125 if your not send me a message

Top Bottom