2013 crf450r how are they with the snow bikes?

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking at trading a sled on a 13 crf450r with a 15 timbersled 120 st kit, it has the updates ski on it and all the stuff. I see a ton of ktms on the hill but never too much for Hondas so I'm just curious as to if this would be a decent set up or do I look for a ktm. Yes I know the downfall of the honda is the kickstart. But other than that I'm looking for pros and cons of the honda on the snow. Oh and what are the pros and cons of going with the short track over the long. Thanks in advance for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't answer all of your questions, but I've owned 2 450 in "R"s. As long as it was warm out, the bastards started first kick. Colder than 5 degrees, I never once got them running without putting a heater on the head for at least 10 mins. Also, with the R, it's a great racing gear ratio, was not the best trail bike, and in my opinion wouldn't be the best with a track hanging out the back. But, I don't know my ass from my hand when it comes to sled bikes

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been on sleds for over 40 years. Just started on snowbikes last winter with a CRF450X...so I have electric start and different gear ratio. Gotta tell ya, I wouldn't want to be kick starting one of these things. My buddy just started last winter as well with a kick start Yammie, and he's switching to something with e start before this winter. He also has both long track and short track for his. Rode most of the winter long tracked then switched to short track to try it in the spring. He's not going back to the long track. Better track speed, engine rpm, and handling with the short.

There.....as a snowbike newbie that's all I know.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been on sleds for over 40 years. Just started on snowbikes last winter with a CRF450X...so I have electric start and different gear ratio. Gotta tell ya, I wouldn't want to be kick starting one of these things. My buddy just started last winter as well with a kick start Yammie, and he's switching to something with e start before this winter. He also has both long track and short track for his. Rode most of the winter long tracked then switched to short track to try it in the spring. He's not going back to the long track. Better track speed, engine rpm, and handling with the short.

There.....as a snowbike newbie that's all I know.

Any issues with cold starting in the winter? Seems to be hit and miss and might be a tps issue. But also heard of a buddy of a buddy with a crf that had to change a injector on it first trip to the mountains. Any insight on these instances?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any issues with cold starting in the winter? Seems to be hit and miss and might be a tps issue. But also heard of a buddy of a buddy with a crf that had to change a injector on it first trip to the mountains. Any insight on these instances?

Mines an '07, so carbureted. Hasn't really been an issue.....but I don't ride when it's cold out.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well did some research on the crf and how they are working with snowbikes. I spoke with a few dealers of timbersled and from what was found was the crf can have some cold starting issues with the fuel injection, can be a bear to start on the off camber stuff with the kick start and they apparently start to have issues with the countershaft bearings. The overall census is run a ktm for the snowbike set up, but stay away from the brand new light weight 450 engine they have been having failures. So I guess I will continue the search and try to find a 2015 450 xcf or sxf and set that up as I think my 350sxf would be working a little too hard.

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hondas are know to be the worst for over fueling unless you run a aftermarket fuel controller and are the lowest for Hp..Crappy clutch as well.. Id be looking for a Ktm or a yammie.. The efi bikes usually 1 or 2 kicks on the ones Ive run in winter.. I went with a Yz450fx last season its nice to have the button and the taller 5th on the trail

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hondas are know to be the worst for over fueling unless you run a aftermarket fuel controller and are the lowest for Hp..Crappy clutch as well.. Id be looking for a Ktm or a yammie.. The efi bikes usually 1 or 2 kicks on the ones Ive run in winter.. I went with a Yz450fx last season its nice to have the button and the taller 5th on the trail

hey my old pos 05 crf started

lmao hater

Top Bottom