15 outty fan not turning on

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I overheated mine to the point coolant was boiling on my last ride last season, had to limp it back to my vehicle. Kind of forgot I did this till I changed my fluids out today as a pre season :/...I noticed I have no coolant and there looks to be dried coolant on the cylinders

I topped the coolant up today and ran it’s after I did my engine oil, diffs and gear box. I ran the bike for a bit and got it hot to the touch to see if it’d go back in limp mode, it did not and the fan did not turn on.

Waterpump, rad and rad hoses were all hot to touch so I’m thinking my waterpump is okay and pushing coolant still. I’d like to jumper my fan tomorrow to see if it is a faulty sensor or my fan is dead.

I got my fuse/relay box open but nothing is labelled and I couldn’t find any info on google, can anyone point me to the two wires I can jumper to see if my fan is dead/alive?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I overheated mine to the point coolant was boiling on my last ride last season, had to limp it back to my vehicle. Kind of forgot I did this till I changed my fluids out today as a pre season :/...I noticed I have no coolant and there looks to be dried coolant on the cylinders

I topped the coolant up today and ran it’s after I did my engine oil, diffs and gear box. I ran the bike for a bit and got it hot to the touch to see if it’d go back in limp mode, it did not and the fan did not turn on.

Waterpump, rad and rad hoses were all hot to touch so I’m thinking my waterpump is okay and pushing coolant still. I’d like to jumper my fan tomorrow to see if it is a faulty sensor or my fan is dead.

I got my fuse/relay box open but nothing is labelled and I couldn’t find any info on google, can anyone point me to the two wires I can jumper to see if my fan is dead/alive?
8000 km on my reny 800. 3 fans.
Im close to 8000 on my gen 2 1000. Fan #2 so far. Cheap easy. Just buy a new one

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sons 2012 RZR overheated yesterday. After swapping relays around and the fan still not coming on we unplugged and hot wired the fan to finish the day. Suspect it will be the sending unit( whatever form that takes). If you can trace wires back from the fan motor you might find a plug like we did, unplug it and stick a bare wire in each side.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turns out there was a piece of dirty plastic ‘tape’ type stuff covering the fuse/relay positions on the box.

I found my cooling fan fuse to be blown, so I replaced and drove it around to get it hot...then came limp mode notification. I checked the fuse I replaced and site enough it popped as well. This must mean my fan is pooched then? I’m not too savy at diagnosing electrical issues.

Any help us greatly appreciated

edit: checked my relay with power from my battery and a multimeter, it clicked and I got continuity

another edit: I knicked the power coming from the relay to 20a fuse, I got 12v in between both these, but when I hook up my jumper I just got sparks...now I’m def leaning towards the fan being NFG

Last edited:

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put a battery directly to the fan plug and got nothing...I feel it’s safe to say she’s nfg

I also got 1ohm of continuity at the motor plug...not really sure what it’s supposed to be but prob higher then that?

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should be higher for sure. Tough to be exact not knowing the size of the fan and the wire it’s wound out of but 1ohm is low. Time for a new one.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, I’ll be ordering a new one today.

Any recommendations? I found one made by db electrical for 126 on slamazon

Im also doing a rad relocate when the fan comes in, I’m thinking that should help with air flow and keep crud out of my rad

Top Bottom