07 M8 clutching

wolfer

Reaction score
Picked up a new 07 M8, should a person clutch according to the 08 clutch spec?

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have m8 was told to put 73grm weights on,I think they are set up for higher elevation then what a person is really ridding as i understand it.Also seen were a gold arctic cat spring in the clutching is good to , I was reading snowest forms arctic cat has a lot of infooooooooo.

wildf

Reaction score
I snowchecked an M8 and waiting to see how it is going to go with the stalk cluching? Talked to the dealer I bought it from and he was in the mountains with his 08 M8 and he said it went pretty good for a stock sled. Waiting till he does some tinkering till I do anything as he has deeper pockets and more stock to play with to find out what is the biggest BANG for the BUCK. I've herd that the 07's had a little bit of a stock clutching issue , but the 08's are supposed to be set up better from factory, time will tell when we get enough snow to ride here or get time to go to mountains .You ride in Athabasca much?

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No i have`nt rode at athabasca have`nt even been there i am south of calgary.I talked with another guy today he said the 73 gr weights would work good for my ridding ability.There is just so many diff things a person can do to a sled. Do you ride in the mnts anywere.

wolfer

Reaction score
Going to Mcbride next week, I am going to try 72gm weights to start.
Wildf, I do most of my riding in the mountains, but plan on doing more riding locally if we get enough snow.

wildf

Reaction score
Wolfer I would be very interested in info on how well your sled does at Mcbride next weekend,and yes I agree we need SNOW as I am going crazy walking by my sled every day and not enough snow to pull out of the garage yet exept to run it in the shop to put a can on it.Have a buddy that lives by ALPAC and he emailed me some pictures on the weekend of his deck and he said there is enough snow there to burn off that first tank of mixed fuel.I'm hoping to make a trip in december to Mcbride,so any info on your trip would be appreciated.FOOTHILLS M8 yes I do ride the mountains,mostly Mcbride Vailmont but have also spring time Revy. Last year with the snow conditions around here rode Athabasca lots as we have lots of good riding rite here from all out river riding to a 270 mile round trip marked trail to Swan Hills,to an hour away Slave Lake which in a good snow year will challenge a 151" track,close to mountain riding and home in my own bed at nite without travell expense of a 7 hour drive.Sorry for the long windedness but can't ride so have to talk about it!

wolfer

Reaction score
Hey Wildf, just got back from Mcbride. Went past the saddle on the Renshaw.My sled ran great. I was pulling 8100 rpm with 72 gm weights, I think 74 or 75gm would make the sled pull perfect. The weather was great but the trail was fairly rough.

wildf

Reaction score
Thanks for the info,so you think a little heavier wieghts would make it just about rite? Just changed my weights on the weekend to flatlanders as was hoping to go for ride last weekend but got call out with fire dept. rite in the middle of job ,hoping to get out this weekend to break in sled. Not enough snow for hard ride yet but enough to burn first tank of fuel and then good to go to the big hills hopefully over Christmas and spend the $500 REBATE CUPOUN that cat sent in mail for snowcheck customers(WISH WAS MORE BUT BETTER THAN NOTHING) Hope to run into you on the trails here some day.

TurboTony

Reaction score
I'm working on the clutching on my '07 M8 as well.

Has the following mods,
RKT secondary kit
RKT head
D&D single with y pipe
speedwerks can
sno pro airbox
boondocker controller

I tried the stock 68 primary wieghts on a short break in ride a few weeks back. Way to light, especially down low. It would hit 8100 without no problem. No suprise there. After some reading and talking to some folks I bought a set of 72's and just installed them.

Now I'm heading to Valemount next weekend, hoping that these 72's will be heavy enough after reading above. I was told to clutch it for around 7600 or so. Of course no one can give an answer with my mix of parts, just what the selling dealer told me when I bought it all with the sled.

Anyone have any insight? I'll problably just try it as is and hope that it works decently for the weekend and tweak it from there.

Tony

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am trying 73 gr weights on primary and stock spring and secondary putting on a 44/40 helix and stock spring. will see how that works. How do you like the RKT secondary you have.

Motorman26

Reaction score
I also picked up an 07 M8 this year. The dealer (Echo) told me that an Arctic Cat M7 (2006) secondary conversion kit was a good idea. I haven't rode mine yet but apparently track speed is a little weak. The M7 kit is supposed to give 5 +/- mph track speed increase. I put the kit in, about $250.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine has an 07 M8. He runs a gold cat spring in the primary with cutler adjustable weights, he's runnin them at like 75grams.. It works awesome in the hills. Several of my other buddies that ride with him say it pulls harder than most m8's they've seen.. I've also heard that the d&d pipes work better with a stock y-pipe rather than the D&D one.. A good helix to use with the rk tek kit is a 36 or a 38.. Some of this info also comes thru a cat dealer back home in BC..Help it helps.. One of the biggest things with the "07's is that they are programmed rich, Buyt a programmer and a digatron... They will help you out alot...

TurboTony

Reaction score
I never rode my sled stock so I have no point of reference about any of the mods. Smart I know.

Took the sled to Valemount and learned a few things. It revved around 6500 rpm the first day, wayyyy to low. I leaned it out a bunch, read the plugs and watched the egt, got the temps up from around 800 to 1050, still too cold. Plugs looked fine, Rpm was up to 7500ish, was running decent but not great. Had the box around -20 from 7200 up.

The next day i leaned it out just a bit more, -22 and the egts went down to 700 and it ran like a dog. Whoops, way to far over the curve i guess. Set it back to full rich, stock program and it pulled 7600 and ran the best it has.

When I got home I e-mailed RKTek and described the combo. Kelsey said now way it could pull 72's put the 68's back in and that the D&D pipe wants 8000 rpm. Okay, that's what I did, haven't tried it yet though. I'll post results when I do.

The weird thing is that some people seem to be able to pull very heavy(75) wieghts in these things and others bearly get by at 68. I have just been using Cat weights, perhaps all weights aren't created equal I guess.

Tony

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a good point about the weights... Because not only does the weight change things but the profile of the ramp also makes a difference.. The different angles can change how it shifts and when it shifts.. Which will also affect it's rpm's... I know the biggest benefit to the gold cat spring is that it brings the engagement down which makes mthe sled work alot better in the powder and has a little higher finishing spring rate than the stock spring.. A person must compare sprin's as well as weights. Cause different spring may need a different weight.. I love clutching, a well clutched 600 can beat a soso clutched 800... It's cool...

TurboTony

Reaction score
Good point about the springs.

For reference mine currently has a yellow spring in the primary, a red/white in the secondary. The helix is a straight 38. The weights are cat "light tips" I now have 68s and just took out the 72's

I've never had a great handle on clucthing. Just followed the sticker and it seemed to work. I guess this will be the sled that teaches me.

Tony

TurboTony

Reaction score
Hey tony so how did your sled work?

Seemed to work fine. Was snowing to hard to really take some good pokes and watch the gauges, etc. But it was hitting 8100 and seemed happy enough.

Ask Jeff and Jamie, they both rode it back in to rescue Jeffs sled when the drive broke.

Tony

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah. i actually talked to jeff today cause we have a new diamoind drive comin for him.. He's going to get the new one kryo'd before he puts it in. That way it should be a bit tougher.. Glad to hear that it worked good... Have you ever thought about trying your stock pipe with the d&d pipe? I heard that they work better that way. If you dont have them yet a vent kit for the side panels on your sled would help clutching. Cause the cats have a problem with heat under the hood..Not as bad as the new doo's.. Also take all of the foam out from under the hood and side panels, then use reflective heat tape on your hood instead. as well as the ex side panel..

g man

Reaction score
the first thig spend 22$on the shift asist on the secoundary it's worth the $ and side vents will keep your belt a lot cooler! do that for sure did it in my 08 m1000 and other stuff to but thats a first for sure

Top Bottom