Thought that I would post this ....hope you all find it helpfull

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is what is found in my back pack

feel free to add to yours or subtract as needed ...

good luck and play safe ,,, make it back home to your loved ones..........cuz they really would miss you..

Here is what I carry in my pack

It is a Dakine....and hangs on the wall and is ready to go

The Shovel and Probes live in it full time along with these other essentials...

88 things you wish you had when you get stuck in the bush

shovel,with saw in handle
probes
flares,flaregun, pen type
sized down jump kit
including
water proof matches
wind proof lighter x2
hot packs
salt
sugar
high energy bars
airways
pocketmask
lip balm
rope
wire
black tape
1 socks
1 extra mechanix gloves
space blanket x 2
flint strikers x 2
water x 2
emergency water
sam splint
multi trauma dressing x 4
4 triangulars
bandaids
liquid bandaid
2 spare spark plugs
axtra dess cord
gerber leatherman tool
chain saw ...in can
chocolate,nut bars
spare beacon batteries
3 rolls of gauze
mini mag light
super sheers
cpr quick note
stethascope
signal mirror..the one with the hole in the middle
roll of orange flagging tape
one cold compress and one hot
bag of toilet paper
whistle
tea
ibuproferin
sardines
motorola talk about
flu and cold remedy
pencil and paper
22 bullets for powder to light fire
rubber gloves
pocket mask and airways are in my truck at the moment in my real jumpkit
newspaper to start fire
extra ventolin for me
just put my mini visegrips back in
among other things

feel free to add or subtract to your needs

here it is layed out
IMG_0835.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0836.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0837.jpg
[/IMG]

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6' Syphon hose can be a life saver at times as well. Clear 1/4" is plenty.
Good call on the pack needs....better looking at it than for it that's for sure.:beer:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry much of the same stuff. tends to get a little heavy but like stukenough says "better looking at it than for it"

Last edited:

uuoody

Reaction score
Thanks for the list. I am going to assemble a pack this year, although I don't think i will be trying the mountains for a while. I need a little more time to learn my machine, and find an avalache safety course. Of course all of this could come in handy if a guy gets in a jam in the lower elevations.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the list. I am going to assemble a pack this year, although I don't think i will be trying the mountains for a while. I need a little more time to learn my machine, and find an avalache safety course. Of course all of this could come in handy if a guy gets in a jam in the lower elevations.
smart decision. Lori Zakaruk "Zak's Traks" by far the best avy instuctor,check her our she will teach you all that you need to know about sledding in the back country.

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks good list i might have to add some more stuff in my pack, always seems to be more stuff!!!:d:beer:

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"bag of toilet paper"
who ever needed that - lol

Looks like you carry a lot of stuff. I may have to add a few items to my list. Good post and really helpful to see it all layed out.

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A very great list! I would believe though that it would depend on where you are going.If on a well used groomed trail,some of the things might not be needed.
But if you are going into the back country off trail,this list is essential.

shovel,with saw in handle......yes

probes...........................if in mountains terrain

flares,flare gun, pen type.....yes

sized down jump kit
including
water proof matches..........yes

wind proof lighter x2...........One is good, with waterproof matches,and another source of ignition

hot packs.........yes for sure..light weight and could be a life saver(frost bite)
salt..........those little packs from burger joints..
sugar.......same as above
high energy bars.......definetally, light weight,good energy
pocketmask........not sure about this......CPR ?
lip balm...........never used it
rope..........definetally
wire............mechanics wire, a definite....
black tape.....yes............. and duct tape,wrap some around a small spool
1 socks........for sure
1 extra mechanics gloves.....I always go nuts with extra gloves
space blanket x 2....one for me, my gear is rated for the elements
flint strikers x 2....The best thing in a pack,but one is suffice.
emergency water......depends on your trip and the availability to drinkable water. You should always have enough water to keep hydrated.
sam splint.......................
multi trauma dressing x 4...
4 triangulars.....................ALL things listed here as well as a burn dressing.
bandaids........................
liquid bandaid..................
2 spare spark plugs.......
axtra dess cord.............when it happens to you,youll wish you had one
gerber leatherman tool....say no more,has helped many times
chain saw ...in can.....not sure about that one??
chocolate,nut bars....the more the better,you can always bring it home
spare beacon batteries.....new ones before you go,if over night yes
3 rolls of gauze...first aid kit,see above
mini mag light.....yes for sure
super sheers.....not sure what they are...panty hose ,,scissors?
cpr quick note....usually in a GOOD first aid kit
stethascope.....good for diagnosing a bad cylinder on a sled
signal mirror..the one with the hole in the middle...great for people that dont know how to signal...like a beacon,people should be shown this.
roll of orange flagging tape....dont think a roll is necessary, lots there. But to have maybe 10 ' of it would be good.

d compress and one hot
bag of toilet paper......yes we should all be ready for that
whistle........I really dont realize the whistle,yes in a controlled enviroment,it is good,but when in a wilderness setting it signals a weakness,not good.(argument will follow)

sardines.......the worst thing that you could ever bring in the woods.The smell of them,once the can is opened, is unreal.Then you have the can and lid.I know that you might say that bears are in hibernation at this time. But little that most people know,a bear,cougar,wolverine,coyote,wolf is very much alive in the winter months.Yes the bear has a nap,but he does come out of his den once in awhile during the winter.

motorola talk about....not sure if it works in the mountains
flu and cold remedy.....dont bring drugs,suck it up
pencil and paper.....excellent,a crossword would be good

22 bullets for powder to light fire.....ammo to backfire...NO....if you have all of the above there is no need for live ammunition

gloves.....cant say enough about it...carry spares

pocket mask and airways are in my truck at the moment in my real jumpkit .......Good man!

newspaper to start fire....a nice luxury, if not use witches hair,old mans beard,....the lichen that grows on some of the older coniferous trees
extra ventolin for me
just put my mini visegrips back in

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on a side note to you Mountainman611 some of the things that you didn't like may not be for my sake but perhaps others ...thats why there are mulitples

talkabouts.....may come in handy ..if somebody else is lost or having issues and we always have one each....if you have been stuck in a spot where it was hard to find and your crew was looking all over ...in the trees ...a little toot on the pink whistle my 5 year old daughter gave me comes in real handy trust me on that one :)

I was raised on a trapline in the bush in the Yukon.......used to go to town once every 6 weeks for supplies .....spent lots of nights under spruce trees...rather not use something than wish i had it

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did not mean any disrespect H2,just went through your list when I was half cut. Good post and would love to share a brew some time....:beer:

.08rider

Reaction score
What about the BEER?? how could one possibley overnight in the mountains without having some BEER?? That would be like watching single moms dance with a coffee? Lots and lots of BEER!! that way you don't care about the broken leg or the fact that you could die out there! Seriously a GPS can always bring you home! never leave without it and four or five changes of batteries.

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow, you can tell your a paramedic! a stethascope? I agree it might help diagnose a bad cylinder

WOW, whats your "real" jumpkit?

you know what ..I seen real tough guys ..you know the ones that know it all ...don't need any advice or anything ..you know the kind ..yeah well I remeber doing CPR on lots of those puffed up chest type guys ......people look in my pack and go what do you need that for ??????

I go in my mind silently ..." for idiots like you ".....

everybody is real tough right up until the part where they aint breathin anymore...thats where I come in ....LOL

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good kit! I have a scaled down version myself, from my Ski Patroller days. Comes with me on all my rides or outdoor adventures. I like the Fox 40 whistles. Loud as all heck! Even keep one on my flyfishing belly boat setup in case I spring a leak and can't get back fast enough....I want someone to hear me!!

Only thing that scares me is the bullets. I used to consider this too till I found out old powder can become unstable, even in a brass casing. Keep them pointed down!!

Bag of TP....A MUST!

Good post.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you know what ..I seen real tough guys ..you know the ones that know it all ...don't need any advice or anything ..you know the kind ..yeah well I remeber doing CPR on lots of those puffed up chest type guys ......people look in my pack and go what do you need that for ??????

I go in my mind silently ..." for idiots like you ".....

everybody is real tough right up until the part where they aint breathin anymore...thats where I come in ....LOL

So CPR in the backcountry is probably really useful, do you also carry epi, atropine, ami......might as well run a full ALS code being hours from a hospital? Do you carry extra batteries for your LP12? Do you have red emerg lights on your sled and wear your uniform sledding?

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So CPR in the backcountry is probably really useful, do you also carry epi, atropine, ami......might as well run a full ALS code being hours from a hospital? Do you carry extra batteries for your LP12? Do you have red emerg lights on your sled and wear your uniform sledding?

there ya go....................:cool:

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"former ALS, Ambulance,CPR Instructor, Advanced First Aid Instructor, Avalanche Dog RIP Cat, EMO Cordinator,CSPS.........thats all"

whats a "Cordinator"? or is it a Coordinator?

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"former ALS, Ambulance,CPR Instructor, Advanced First Aid Instructor, Avalanche Dog RIP Cat, EMO Cordinator,CSPS.........thats all"

Teamgreen, his sig does not suggest that he is a spelling teacher. He put up a very usefull post that I am sure got a lot of people looking into their packs.
Yes it is a very complete pack but with his experience in CPR why not pack it.I went through all of his items and made my comments about them.I wasnt bashing him,only commenting on what I thought was needed.
Whats in your pack....?

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I believe that would be the guy that cuts and piles wood for later use in wood stoves ..ie) following winter ...
so I cut and piled 10 cords of wood this summer to prepare for the winter .............:)

Top Bottom