STOLEN SLEDS-----RCMP no help at all,,,,waste of taxpayers money

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last summer (2010) I traded a nice red 96 Pontiac grand am 2 dr to a guy from Fort Sask, for a nice 91 Indy Trail deluxe for the wife to take grandkids around,I checked out the VIN with local Barrhead registries,no issues,so I traded the guy,,put new windshield,sliders,battery,flap,plugs,,and then insured and registered it 2 weeks before the Whitecourt Poker Rally.2 weeks after the Rally RCMP came and confiscated it,said it was stolen 4 yrs ago..???? I showed the Ladie COP my bill of sale,registration,her helperConstable Mongo didnt care,he just lifted it in the pickup and left.I spent 6 months trying to get it back,last week the Sarge told me original owner picked it up,and they wont help me get my car back,I have to hire a lawyer,its a civil matter..what a bunch o crap.I thought doing a search at Motor Vehicles was safe..apparantly not.because the older sleds are not a 17 digit VIN,registrie search is not accurate.so be careful ,take VIN and pictures to RCMP and registries and make sure it has registration.and get the sellers ID,,,2 pieces of photo ID the COPS tell me.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
last summer (2010) I traded a nice red 96 Pontiac grand am 2 dr to a guy from Fort Sask, for a nice 91 Indy Trail deluxe for the wife to take grandkids around,I checked out the VIN with local Barrhead registries,no issues,so I traded the guy,,put new windshield,sliders,battery,flap,plugs,,and then insured and registered it 2 weeks before the Whitecourt Poker Rally.2 weeks after the Rally RCMP came and confiscated it,said it was stolen 4 yrs ago..???? I showed the Ladie COP my bill of sale,registration,her helperConstable Mongo didnt care,he just lifted it in the pickup and left.I spent 6 months trying to get it back,last week the Sarge told me original owner picked it up,and they wont help me get my car back,I have to hire a lawyer,its a civil matter..what a bunch o crap.I thought doing a search at Motor Vehicles was safe..apparantly not.because the older sleds are not a 17 digit VIN,registrie search is not accurate.so be careful ,take VIN and pictures to RCMP and registries and make sure it has registration.and get the sellers ID,,,2 pieces of photo ID the COPS tell me.

that's a horrible situation, but you have given us all lots of useful information..... Karma's a b!tch and sometimes will rear its ugly head, hopefully towards whomever has the Grand Am.

dwillowguy

Reaction score
Maybe the guy that has the Grand Am is innocent too. I've bought sleds from auctions and private people too, but never insured them so they might be stolen too....:(
Must have been a slow day at office for cops to even bother with that call, sled worth what between 1200 and 1800 bucks and they drive out to pick it up. Meanwhile we have stuff stolen out of our tractors and farm equipment and cops don't even drive out. We had a raven spraye controller stolen....2800 bucks and neighbor had an Outback GPS stolen...1500.00 cops said hope you had insurance........

go green

Reaction score
Be careful when you sell stuff , this just happened to racer I know in Edmonton

Stolen Trailer Scam.

I had my 2003 32ft Haulmark Edge Stacker trailer stolen in a scam by some clever people.
The trailer was for sale and in came a buyer. He came and looked, asked the right questions, went away thinking about the deal. Called, came back to purchase it with a TD Bank Draft. I looked over the bank draft and it all checked out. His address added up to a person with his name etc so I let him take the trailer and gave him a bill of sale. I deposited it into my bank without question. It went off to the TD bank and a week later was marked as “Counterfit”. The address for this guy turned out to be bad and the phone was a pay as you go bought Cash.
He used the name of John Mills but I am sure that was not his name. He drove what seemed to be about a 1998 or so Dodge Dually I believe it was burgundy in color. This was a Caucasian man about 6 ft 2 or 6 ft 3. I would say in his late 40s or early 50s.

The trailer would stand out if you know stacker trailers or just plain trailers.
It had a man door on both sides as well as pit lights on both sides.
The “drivers side” had an RV awning at one point but was removed so the fastener holes and outlines are still there. It had a scrape on the “drivers side” rear as it must have brushed something hard on a turn some place in its lift time.

Trailer VIN #16HGB32393G053638

Pictures of the trailer can be found at this site:

www.dadsgoneracing.com/index.php?option=...tacker&Itemid=56

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks Ken. A lien search at motor vehicles will only tell you if it has an outstanding lien on it...and only a lien that was registered in Alberta. If it came from out of province, you have to do a lien search for that province as well...total crock of sh!t if you ask me. Anytime I buy something used, I check with this site Should let you know if anything is amiss.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

unfortunatly in this situation it is easy to blame the guy you bought it from, but for all you know he didn't even know it was stoled either. could have bought same way used from somebody never ins/reg it as barely use it or i dont need it attitude like lots of peeps. then he sold to you a few years later to upgrade,get car whatever. never had any idea it was stolen. j/s
chitty deal though either way.

muffin

Reaction score
I think we need to be aware of pay pay as well , not sure but? have had a few calls on my apex thats for sale , from people that want the sled no question on the price or condition of sled , will send money via pay pal and have a curior to pick it up , Humm, it might be a good thing i dont have pay pal, not sure ?

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Makes you wonder about the cops in Barrhead!I had a truck stolen from L&M!I get a call from Marty asking if I picked up my truck 8 am,report stolen at 8:15,tell cops I made some calls my truck was spotted at 4 am driving in trailer court,cops finish their coffee go to trailer court,I go to trailer court, see my truck tracks in the dirt,cops stop me ask what I'm up to,explain it was my truck that I reported stolen,they let me go,they go back to cop shop,8:30 Marty calls me,mechanic on test drive finds truck 1 block west of Barrmart,I go tell cops,they tow it to cop shop!This was a tuesday!Thursday they fingerprint truck,tow truck tows it to Westlock then its sits there for a month until insurance releases it,tow back to Barrhead for appraisal,fix damage,get back week later!!Cops never went to shop,never asked mechanics for finger prints(he said they got some good prints on the hood,I explained they were working on it when it was stolen).The cops just said to deal with insurance and shrugged their shoulders!!I ah to go out and buy a different truck because this one was never the same and learn to keep everything out of my cab!But if I would have caught the little bastards that stole it and taught them a lesson I'd still be in jail!Barrhead cops only have a hard on for check stops!Frickin town is crawling with thieves and drugs!:mad:

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we need to be aware of pay pay as well , not sure but? have had a few calls on my apex thats for sale , from people that want the sled no question on the price or condition of sled , will send money via pay pal and have a curior to pick it up , Humm, it might be a good thing i dont have pay pal, not sure ?

e mail money transfer easiest way. and safest for a deal like that. we have done it many times, you and buyer make a password to ensure money transfers and he sends money you recieve money check account balance all good. money is there no questions asked. wife knows all the details as she does it all the time. thats why i married her to do my money work lol.

powerclaw

Reaction score
never release anything until whatever method of payment clears your bank account. i will accept cheques,money orders, bank drafts, and certified cheques but will hold whatever it is im selling until their money clears my bank account. you also must state this on the bill of sale. never right PAID IN FULL until everything clears. always write SUBJECT TO on your bill of sales. until their money clears it is only an agreement not a sale contract.most people will be ok with this but will get the few that will cause you greef and those are the people to stay away from anyways. speaking from much experience, and some bad ones.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with Email money transfers is they are only good for $3000.00. Way to low for allot of transactions.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was unaware of that thanks Tom. i was sure we had used it for more before but maybe not. probly did 3g to hold rest of cash when they show up. if you cant bring the cash you dont have it imo.

farmerger

Reaction score
The real problem is that what do people learn from this kind of crap; don't register your sled that way the RCMP won't find out is stolen and take it from you for doing the right thing.

As proof as to how idiotic the RCMP are, here in BC, if the sled hasn't been registered before and you buy it used and go to register it you have to get a letter from the RCMP saying its not stolen. Registration is done by ICBC Driver Services, but they sent me with the sled, to the RCMP. The RCMP officer, when I showed up with the sled, said to me why aren't you doing this at ICBC seeing as we just run the VIN through CPIC (as linked earlier), which anyone can access. I said ICBC told me to come here, they said OK we'll figure something out. 10 minutes later they hand me my paper work with a single page letter from them attached to it. I, wrongly, assumed that something this easy couldn't be screwed up, but boy was I wrong. I briefly glanced at the letter which had one sentence "This snowmobile is not stolen." (Are you giggling yet?) My mistake was that I assumed that the letter's subject line referenced "this snowmobile" by its VIN and I didn't look up to confirm this. Bad move on my part as they had indeed NOT given any VIN nor description of "this snowmobile." (You got to be chuckling by now!) So if anyone here needs a letter from the RCMP stating that "This snowmobile is not stolen" give me a shout.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never release anything until whatever method of payment clears your bank account. i will accept cheques,money orders, bank drafts, and certified cheques but will hold whatever it is im selling until their money clears my bank account. you also must state this on the bill of sale. never right PAID IN FULL until everything clears. always write SUBJECT TO on your bill of sales. until their money clears it is only an agreement not a sale contract.most people will be ok with this but will get the few that will cause you greef and those are the people to stay away from anyways. speaking from much experience, and some bad ones.

probably a good idea to also get seperate parts that are to be given written down on the bill of sale too.............

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you are selling something, ask for cash. Another option is the two of you go to his bank where he gets a draft while you are watching. After reading this thread, no honest person would mind the extra 30 minutes effort to ensure everything is legit.

Also, if you are accepting a bank draft or certified check, ask for his drivers license and write down the number on your copy of the bill of sale. Make sure it is him in the picture. If he is there with a truck, write down the serial number, not the plate number as the plate could be stolen. No legit buyer will have a problem with this.

Ozzy421

Reaction score
A little off topic, but,

I took a bank draft and cash when I sold my toyhauler,
when took the bank draft to my bank to deposit, a hold was placed on the funds until the draft cleared after 2 business days.

this is because of fraudulant drafts being used to make large purchases. I was told by the bank it is becoming common that a draft and minor cash are given, transfer of item is usually schedualled after the banks close, (usually on a friday or saturday night),to give more time to get away and since you sign over the registration and give a bill of sale, recovery of the item is often very difficult, especially when it has been sent to another province or worse the USA

so even as a seller, get some ID from the person you sell to,

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yes paypal protects the buyer .... he turns around picks your sled up puts a complaint into paypal they refund him the money and your out a sled

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was unaware of that thanks Tom. i was sure we had used it for more before but maybe not. probly did 3g to hold rest of cash when they show up. if you cant bring the cash you dont have it imo.

I have used them a fair bit, best way especially for things like Craigs List and Kijijiji, but they changed the limits about 6 months ago. Its to bad, a simple way to do business.

Top Bottom