fuel caddys

joesled

Reaction score
i just bought a gas can for my 08 rev xp.the instructions are not great.does anyone have any pics of their sled with it already installed.much appreciated:confused:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just bought a gas can for my 08 rev xp.the instructions are not great.does anyone have any pics of their sled with it already installed.much appreciated:confused:
I'll trade you my '06 summit for your '08 it already has the fuel caddy installed.:D:D:D

joesled

Reaction score
thanks for the offer summiteer,but i am thinking of selling the can and installing a beer box instead.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I will post pics tonight. I looked at the instructions long and hard... and then figured out that the front holes of plastic bracket line up horizontally with the rivets for the cooler. This will leave about 1/8" between the back of the fuel tank and the front of the plastic caddy brackets. The inside edge of the plastic brackets should be right beside the outside edge of the cooler. The front of the metal bracket gets lined up horizontally with the middle recess under the sticker on the side of the tunnel (doesn't have to be exact). I put mine under the plastic brackets (traced them out, then undid the bolts for the plastic brackets, drilled and riveted the metal brackets, then reinstalled the plastic brackets. The pictures should explain this better. Hope this helps.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of mine (sorry for the low light, gets dark pretty fast these days, and no lights in the garden shed). I looked at the instructions long and hard... and then figured out that the front holes of plastic bracket line up horizontally with the rivets for the cooler. This will leave about 1/8" between the back of the fuel tank and the front of the plastic caddy brackets. The inside edge of the plastic brackets should be right beside the outside edge of the cooler. The front of the metal bracket gets lined up horizontally with the middle recess under the sticker on the side of the tunnel (doesn't have to be exact). I put mine under the plastic brackets (traced them out, then undid the bolts for the plastic brackets, drilled and riveted the metal brackets, then reinstalled the plastic brackets. The pictures should explain this better. Thoughts/Questions?

Attachments

• PB220020.jpg
    PB220020.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 246
  • PB220021.jpg
    PB220021.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 229
  • PB220022.jpg
    PB220022.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 235
  • PB220023.jpg
    PB220023.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 234
  • PB220025.jpg
    PB220025.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 218
  • PB220027.jpg
    PB220027.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 224
  • PB220030.jpg
    PB220030.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 224

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing to note.... I have the plastic brackets in what I assume is the opposite way that ski-doo designed them (Left vs Right). I put them this way to snug up to the metal brackets and hide the rivets. They can be swapped so that they are closer together, but I like the look of them this way and the fuel can sits nicely on the brackets. Either way, Your call.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what are those black things that the tank sits on??

They are part of the new and great patent pending mounting system. Mostly they are to raise the tank up so it does not rock and slop all around due to the fact that the heat exchanger now sticks out the top of the tunnel making it impossible to put anything hard and flat on there (ie. no more aftermarket $16 gas cans for us!). I suppose now that the heat exchanger is flush with the bottom of the tunnel it **might** clear snow a little better, however, did anyone notice that the heat exchanger is now integral in holding the tunnel together? That is, the tunnel is now two pieces split down the middle held together by the exchanger and a bunch of rivits. :rant:

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was looking to reply to this post when I made the other post. Sorry I couldn't find it, I made a new post.

Any way, check out my post at https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f123/2008-xp-fuel-tank-install-alberta-3191.html c/w Full instructions, pics, interpretations and rants.

I was going to mount the thing up by the seat like sleeper700 did, but after studying the instructions for 45 minutes, I realized at minute 44, that ski-doo intended for it to be near the tail light. Obviously it can be installed either way. The instructions are certainly very hard to understand. It fits slightly better near the tail light, but I thought the whole idea behind the rev was to center the weight???!!?? I decided to mount it where they intended it anyway, I’m thinking it does not really hold that much fuel anyway and will not be that heavy. The other thing is if you take it off in the mtns, there won’t be an empty space between the bag and the seat if you happen to also want to mount a bag (since there is zero storage on this sled). Although, I don’t know if I will be leaving my $120 tank laying around.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i never noticed that, you must be stoked for the new xp
have you ridden it yet?
i want to sell my 04 summit and get one of those, just want to wait a year and hear what the reviews are from real people, not some journalist tester guy.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i never noticed that, you must be stoked for the new xp
have you ridden it yet?
i want to sell my 04 summit and get one of those, just want to wait a year and hear what the reviews are from real people, not some journalist tester guy.

Nope. Try not to look at it when I walk buy it in the garage. Waiting for some snow closer to home to break it in, then go to the mtns.

joesled

Reaction score
i had seen your pics 2003summit and was impressed with them.i was wanting to also install my tank up at the seat area,but after 1/2hr debating i decided to install it at the tail.i also thought about the possibility of someday getting a storage bag due to non storage space.anyways thanks for the pics they were very helpfull.took about 15min to install.looks good.now bring on the snow!!!!!!!!!

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking to reply to this post when I made the other post. Sorry I couldn't find it, I made a new post.

Any way, check out my post at https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f123/2008-xp-fuel-tank-install-alberta-3191.html c/w Full instructions, pics, interpretations and rants.

I was going to mount the thing up by the seat like sleeper700 did, but after studying the instructions for 45 minutes, I realized at minute 44, that ski-doo intended for it to be near the tail light. Obviously it can be installed either way. The instructions are certainly very hard to understand. It fits slightly better near the tail light, but I thought the whole idea behind the rev was to center the weight???!!?? I decided to mount it where they intended it anyway, I’m thinking it does not really hold that much fuel anyway and will not be that heavy. The other thing is if you take it off in the mtns, there won’t be an empty space between the bag and the seat if you happen to also want to mount a bag (since there is zero storage on this sled). Although, I don’t know if I will be leaving my $120 tank laying around.

The reason it is shaped like the tail is for the short track sleds (MXZ and GSX). There is no extra room on those tunnels and they had to shape the jerry can fit on them. On the Summit it is supposed to go behind the seat.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason it is shaped like the tail is for the short track sleds (MXZ and GSX). There is no extra room on those tunnels and they had to shape the jerry can fit on them. On the Summit it is supposed to go behind the seat.

Well, it's on there now! I checked the instructions again and examined the sled again and I think you are right. There are *THREE* sets of locate marks. One more set under the decal mid ship that I did not see. The instructions say second from the front. Thank you so much doo for these every so hard to follow twisted instructions. Fortunately the instructions for the electric start kit for the 03 seam to be written by somebody else.

I think I will try it on the back till people make fun of me then maybe move it. (grumble grumble).

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
One thing to note.... I have the plastic brackets in what I assume is the opposite way that ski-doo designed them (Left vs Right). I put them this way to snug up to the metal brackets and hide the rivets. They can be swapped so that they are closer together, but I like the look of them this way and the fuel can sits nicely on the brackets. Either way, Your call.

I am sorry but I think you might have mounted your gas can wrong. The black brackets fit UNDER the tank not on the outside. You will see the little rubber gromets on the brackets that are suposed to be under the tank so the tank will not rest on the plastic brackets. If you take your gas can and flip it over you will see that the brackets are almost completely hidden when mounted. bottom line is the brackets do NOT fit on the outside of the can.I will post pictures for you.

Attachments

• gas can 005.jpg
    gas can 005.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 121
  • gas can 003.jpg
    gas can 003.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 115
  • gas can 002.jpg
    gas can 002.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 121
  • gas can 001.jpg
    gas can 001.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 115

Mikey

Reaction score
I have no expriance with mounting the cans on the XP's but if it's anything like mine (07) don't use rivets to mount to the tunnel. Before I mounted mine I heard a few stories of the rivets poping and can's gone missing, I used small bolts with lock nuts ..... worked well.

Top Bottom