ZR 580 Chain and Gears (97 EFI; No battery)

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was working on the brother in laws sled on the weekend. The chain is no longer adjustable since it is at it's max. When you replace the chain is it also a good idea to replace both gears? What about he seals? Anything else to look at while we're mucking around in there? Thanks...

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done the chain only. The seals are to be done when the bearing is changed. I found that to leave the seal alone if it is not leaking. I changed the track and replaced al with new seals (o rings ) and used silicone on the splines ( just like your suppose too) and it still leaked change gears only it it is obvious . ZR 580 were famous for breaking chains (espicaily if it has reverse ) .

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulled the chain and gears off this evening. Gears look worn. Chain must be pretty stretched if it can no longer be adjusted. I think we had better replace the whole works...

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the drive shaft bearings have not been replaced in a long time, now is a good time. Especially bearing on the speedo side.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot that we had replaced all of the bearings when we installed a new track a couple of years ago. Good point though.

Top Bottom