Zilla's to Outlaws - Axle and Diff Changes...

cementfist27

Reaction score
I have been watching too many of Ostacruiser's videos on Youtube and think I have convinced myself to upgrade to the Outlaw tire. I currently run 30" zillas and to be honest, I haven't been stuck too many times, but I'm thinking this upgrade will give me more confidence in the skeg. I would like to move to 29.5" laws.

I know that the added weight and temptation to go deeper will affect the lifespan of my axles, so I know that these will eventually need to be replaced, but if I move to a more solid aftermarket axle like a Gorilla or a Rhino, will I need to look at beefing up my diffs? If so what does that entail?

Any expertise would be appreciated!

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have 2000kms+ with 28" laws on an 800 outty and no axle or diff issues yet just be aware of what you are runnin and drive accordingly they are big and heavy and no doubt things will eventually break but if u can manage to control your right thumb it isnt as bad as what everyone says

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been running a 28 inch outlaws skinny/wides for over 2 years on the sportsman(stock axles and diffs) never had any issues, they are heavier so maybe a clutch kit. but other than that cant think of what else might be needed, run stocker axles till they break and upgrade.

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A bigger tire is just going to dig a real big fackin' hole in skeg. It's a mysterious mistress, you will make it farther on a honda foreman 350 with stock tires than an 850xp on 29.5's lol. My outlander is a skeg anchor and I know it, so I shoot for grassy spots and try to let the tires grab the solid stuff, once you spin you might as well put it to the bar though. Just my opinion, it seems like a lot of hassle and wear on parts for a goal that I personally don't think is achievable. Never let fear and common sense stop you though!

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will definately need to upgrade axles on the 2011. I wouldn't be worried about difs and what not. Between me and my dad we have about 2000km on 850's with 31" outlaws. As far as driveline parts go we have replaced 2 front axles and thats it. If you are not running a lift I would consider going to the 28" outlaw 2. The 29.5 outlaws 2 is a heavy tire and most people that have them and now trying to get rid of them. The original 29.5 won't fit due to them fitting 12" rims. You could go 31" but would need to atleast do a spring spacers lift of some sort.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had outlaws on my outlander 1000 for 2 weekends. They suck to ride in anything but mud. I've gone back to zillas and love them. With the fox shocks and those tires it's sporty on the trails. Wheelies on demand. And in the mud I just ride more aggressive with no fear of busting ch!t. I personally think they are for one purpose only and not for everyone.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went from 28" Zillas to 29.5 Outlaws on my Brute and have only busted 1 cv joint so far. I ride hard and with no throttle control at all. You will find if you do trail ride some as well that the 29.5 laws ride way better on the trails than the 28". I don't find mine that bad for trail riding and it wheelies anytime I want it to and sometimes when I don't want it to, just make sure your machine is clutched for the bigger tires..

cementfist27

Reaction score
I have the QCS clutching, 2" lift etc...So that is not an issue. It seems that no one really thinks that the diffs are going to be an issue, which is good. Like I said I have accepted that Outlaws are primary mud tires, and that snapping an axle or two will happen...Thanks for the feedback everyone!

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be careful of snapping the adc casting off on the back
Of the front diff . Never let it hop or slam the front end down under power...
The new scramblers don't have adc , big plus....

cementfist27

Reaction score
I have read quite a bit about both styles/sizes and I am hearing that many prefer the gen1 31" tires over the gen2 29.5"s. Again, it's all personal opinion, but it seems to trend this way...

extreme

Reaction score
Iam running 27" and they are 57 pounds each on stock axle and i run the mud every chance i get no problem yet

Top Bottom