Zacs Tracs

BlackBetty81

Reaction score
My husband, part of our riding group and myself were able to take in the Avie Safety Course. What an amazing course, it taught us so many useful hints and tips. Snow conditions and types, weather to look out for and useful tips for riding bags!
This is a great course that will help us with the tools we need to ride safely in the hills.
Has anyone else taken the course?
Lori is a great teacher who is so knowledgeable. Should be a pre-requisite for anyone who rides with us!!!

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am glad you got some good info out of it!! I agree, I think everyone should have to do a course...

We are doing one this weekend with Hangfire out of Golden. I can't wait!! Although I am not looking forward to that cold weather that is supposed to be here this weekend... :eek:

BlackBetty81

Reaction score
How did the course go this weekend in Golden?
What did the temps dip down to out that way?

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Golden... the Hangfire course was awesome! We learned so much! It was super cold this weekend... -25ish and you do a lot of standing around on the hill... boy it was cold :eek: but it was worth it...

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With a bit of hard work, our local club is now hosting the ZacsTracs Avalanche AST 1 classroom sessions here in Prince George Jan 26, 27 2010. The field session is on the 25th of Jan in McBride.....No excuse not to take this course. My husband, myself and our kid are all signed up. It's a fair chunk of change, but hey.....what's money when it can save someone's life?? It's time that this course became MANDATORY for all sledders that ride in the mountains.

BlackBetty81

Reaction score
With a bit of hard work, our local club is now hosting the ZacsTracs Avalanche AST 1 classroom sessions here in Prince George Jan 26, 27 2010. The field session is on the 25th of Jan in McBride.....No excuse not to take this course. My husband, myself and our kid are all signed up. It's a fair chunk of change, but hey.....what's money when it can save someone's life?? It's time that this course became MANDATORY for all sledders that ride in the mountains.

Its such a valuable course!
I work in the patch and they send us out with all the courses and tools to perform our work safely, and it is mandatory for every site. I think it should be the the same with people heading out to the hills!!
Enjoy, if you have Lori for an instructor, you will enjoy it a lot!

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would really like to stress the importance of this AST 1 course. I think it should be a priority for all sledders heading out to the backcountry. My husband, my son and I took this course at the end of January, and I have to say that Lori Zacaruk is an awesome instructor!! She really explains things that make you understand about the snowpack. Going out and doing the field session is what really tied it together for us, however. Digging a pit, looking at the layers of snow, and understanding all about hoar frost, and what it does to the subsequent layers on top....and what it means to us sledders when we go out to play. Using the beacons and practicing in REAL LIFE scenarios was another bonus to the field day that we got to participate in. We were very fortunate we only had 6 in our class so we really had true hands-on experience and the instructors could spend more time individually. We not only learned the proper gear to have with us, but how to use it. It's amazing how many don't have the training and its scary to think what can happen if you're not prepared!!

Attachments

• DSC04989.jpg
    DSC04989.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC04993.jpg
    DSC04993.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC05000.jpg
    DSC05000.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC05012.jpg
    DSC05012.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 39

caddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's a bit of money but I wouldn't hesitate to reimburse someone for saving my life with what we learned at this course. Did it last year with Zacs and it was well worth the money. Hope I never have to do it on the mountains but glad to know I can. Would hate to have the gear and not know how to use it.

Top Bottom