YZ 250 vs 250 SX

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at going back to a 2st right quick here. Coming off a YZ 450f. Been looking hard at the '15 KTM 250sx but wondering if it's worth the extra 2g over the Yamaha? the KTM quality seems to be ahead of big blue and seems more advanced. The hydraulic clutch and brembo brakes are a nice touch, not to mention the extra power and it seems easier to work on. Definitely leaning towards the KTM but still open to thoughts. On that note what's a decent KTM dealer? I'd rather not deal with my local dealer.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
After an injury, I went from a 450f to the 250sx and was very disappointed. It was a shoulder injury so I decided to ride something a little less "pull your arms off" for a couple seasons. I found myself looking for every ounce of power I could when riding on the track and hard on clutch packs in the bush. Don't get me wrong, the 250sx had good 2 stroke power and was very reliable but certainly not "450" fun. I sold it after one season. I'm all healed up now and will be riding a 450f next season. Rocky Mountain House has a GREAT KTM dealer.Gateway Sales. My last 450 was a KTM. They are expensive to repair. my next bike will also be a KTM.

Last edited:

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't really "need" all the power of the 450. The 2t is more fun to me. Lighter weight and a snappier throttle are what I like. So the 450 is up for sale.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure like my Ktm. I had both 2 and 4 stroke. Had to give one up so I kept the 530. Sure happy I did. I prefer the torque. But really like the Ktm over Japanese bikes.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say KTM as well. The YZ is pretty much unchanged since 2006. Not sure how the classes work but if you're just out having fun and the 250 is too slow there's always the 300, would just need some work to turn it into a track bike.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Picked up the KTM today and couldn't be happier. It's a far nicer bike than the Yammi. Can't wait to get it out for a rip now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416447233.244764.jpg

adamadam

Reaction score
Nice Bike... I was torn between the same decision, where i live its easier to get yammi parts and I got a realllly good deal on the YZ250.. it was like $1200 less than KTM.

If it was this year I would of taken the KTM just for the orange frame!!

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice Bike... I was torn between the same decision, where i live its easier to get yammi parts and I got a realllly good deal on the YZ250.. it was like $1200 less than KTM.

If it was this year I would of taken the KTM just for the orange frame!!

Thanks! I only have a couple rides on it but so far it's the most fun I've had on a bike. Ha yea the orange frame was hard to say no to

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a KTM last year after riding a yzf 450 for a year and a half,I went with the 300xc-w,I'm not a motocross racer just a weekend worrier so its a perfect bike for just bombing around the trails,pits and logging roads,I went with the 6day,it was a grand more but came with a lot of extras and the orange frame.I love it,don't miss the 450 at all.

Crustyolddude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am Yamaha guy. From IT465 to my current Yz250. Everything in between. Great product. Easy to fix. Parts are cheap. Best suspension in the business. The Kayaba are far better than any WP product. Now 2016 yz250x. I will stick with my trusty 02 Yz250. New rings every year. 13 Oz flywheel, FMF Q silencer/ Gnarly pipe. Looking for some 2010 Kayaba forks. :beer:

Top Bottom