Your help is needed to ensure the future with opererating OHV in Alberta & Camping

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Your help is needed to ensure the future with opererating OHV in Alberta & Camping

I received a call today from a representative from SRD today. I will be representing the members from snowandmud on these issues. A few mods and I are meeting with SRD Land use reps on Tuesday evening and will discuss how we can all become more involved with this and create a happy medium between quadders,sledders and SRD and we can possibly become an information station between all of us and solve all these issues. Our goal is to create areas where we can go quadding, sledding and camping with no issues with no where to go or ride in alberta. We need positive input and suggestions not criticism. Any thing you need me to discuss in our meeting please post here and I may post answers after our meeting. Possibly this will become a media connection between us.

Ron

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Your help is needed to ensure the future with opererating OHV in Alberta & Campin

WOW, the main thing is like someone said, how can it get passed 2 readings and just hit the public now, hmmmmmmmmmmm

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Re: Your help is needed to ensure the future with opererating OHV in Alberta & Campin

The AOHVA is involved and they are supported by the industry and by it's member clubs (2 and 4 wheel). I would also hope that the ASA will get involved.

I haven't seen much with the AOHVA on this issue, but the ASA has been involved for some time. This has all been a discussion for several years as well, since before 2005 , this is not just something that has just popped up. The Lower Athhabaska area was the first area to go through this. The next area for discussion is the North Saskatchewan Region which is the Edmonton, Llyod, all the way to banff See the map below

alberta1.jpg

Last edited:

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Talked to my friend who is a legislature assistant. This will not only affect recreational business but it will also gravely affect business. Companies who have well sites will only be profitable if they have more that (i think its) 15 wells. So not only will this hurt our freedom it will also punch our economy in the stomach. Everyone needs to go to their MLA and tell them to stop this. I will be visiting mine in person next week. Send letters, sign petitions, do everything you can because if this goes through, we are killing our economy.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

im sorry i couldnt spot where it said it was down to 0.5% of the area available now, could you point it out for me?

I believe there is some literature on them reducing the amount of land we can access to only 400 square kilometers of land in Southern Alberta. I think someone used current land area to calculate that percentage.

Take a look at the recommended land use drawing. Look at the dark purple areas. Those are the areas they are recommending for public access. I can see from this that it is only a small fraction of the public land we currently have.

https://landuse.alberta.ca/SiteCollectionDocuments/SSRP RAC Land-use Classification Map 2011-04.pdf

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

I believe there is some literature on them reducing the amount of land we can access to only 400 square kilometers of land in Southern Alberta. I think someone used current land area to calculate that percentage.

Take a look at the recommended land use drawing. Look at the dark purple areas. Those are the areas they are recommending for public access. I can see from this that it is only a small fraction of the public land we currently have.

https://landuse.alberta.ca/SiteCollectionDocuments/SSRP RAC Land-use Classification Map 2011-04.pdf

Lococoin, Murminators post above shows where this is laid out.

Remember folks, upper athabasca area has been thru this already, review what happened in that area, keep writing constructive letters to your MLA and local mayors/councillors etc.

Also, Ron has worked out a meeting with some of the higher ups in SRD for himself and some of the team. We are going to try to develop a working relationship with them to benefit all parties involved. If you have specific questions you would like asked please post them and he'll try to get you answers.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Here's a good start, why not try teaching proper trail etiquette on this very forum? How about teaching tread lightly principals? Protection of watersheds?

I've gotten into MANY discussion on this forum about the ignorance of it's users and nobody batted an eye. Don't be so short sighted to think Athabasca was the first restriction, these have been happening for decades and all over Alberta.

USERS are where it starts. Stop fawking around in the mud, stay out of the streams, and quit cutting down trees.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doolvr

Reaction score
Your help is needed to ensure the future with opererating OHV in Alberta & Camp

I gotta say. I all for riding and being respectfull. I am not a huge lover of mud. I do like it a bit but ya know...

But if these people think that closing areas to camping and riding atv is gonna work. They're mistaken. The government doesn't have the money to patrol and put up fences to keep people out. And who's gonna pay for all that. Us ?? Go ride Maclean creek. It sucks. Place is over run and it's a chit hole.

This is OUR land and I for one am not gonna live in a communist effing county be ruled by these people.

I random camp a lot. I only take down dead trees or I get scraps from the loggers. I perfer the logged areas anyway. It's easier

Top Bottom