Yet another thread on tires.

10-4

Reaction score
I know everyone has their opinions on tires, and I'm looking at this from a different light than other questions I've seen. My quad: stock 2014 Can-Am Outlander 650XT. (26") Wifes: stock 2001 Honda Foreman 450ES. (25")Issue: her tires (originals) are getting worn down well. Do I just look for a set of take offs from a new quad to put on hers? Or do I get something a little more aggressive for mine and pass mine down to hers? I don't want to go full mud tire as it's mostly trail riding we do. But I expected a little more mud in the air when we went out a few weekends ago. Opinions on good tires to fit that bill would be appreciated too. I don't want tall heavy tires that hinder axles nor rough ride, but I'm not expecting or trying to tackle the biggest mud holes either.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mud Bugs, good everywhere, have a set of 27" on my old 450, don't worry about axles, there isn't enough power on tap to break them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

togo ripper

Reaction score
My vote goes zillas they ride smooth are super light and wear incredible plus they have enough lug if you do hit some mud to have some fun, I also like the ams slingshot as well great trail manners but good traction in mud as well but don't have any real miles to see how they wear yet

togo ripper

Reaction score
I've also got mud bugs on a honda that wear pretty good 4500km a 50ish % left but choppy ride on slow hardpack

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would go with the swamplites not really aggressive but nice 6 ply tire, thats my next set for my razor friend have them and there better then the itp mudlites that i have now

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zillas on the wife's outlaw mst on the 650. The mst are an incredible tire. Wear like iron, excellent in the mud and handle like a radial on the trails.

10-4

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. Coming down to the costs etc too. I'm in no rush, so I might wait to see what I can find laying around someone's garage.

mighty1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never been big on a full mud tire. I have had great time with maxis bighorns, they are nice and smooth on hard trails and work surprisingly well in the mud too.

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would put the stock Outty tires on Mama's machine and get some 27 or 28" Zillas or Mudbugs for yours. Those stock tires on the CanAm are actually pretty decent tires.

10-4

Reaction score
Yeah, I think they'll fit. Honda has 25's, on the (12x7?) rim, and Can Am is 26" on the same size rim. I can't see the 1 inch making a huge difference in clearances to fenders. Especially considering the straight axle and suspension system with limited travel. Would be nice if they had used the same bolt pattern so I could bolt them on for a test drive first!

mudflingerx

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new ITP Blackwater radials on a quad yet? I ride in the Canadian foothills and was wondering how they perform in the mud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom