Yellowstone NP Winter Rec Use EA

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yellowstone National Park winter use 08,09 PLEASE READ.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks From Goldenwest Motel, West Yellowstone, MT

Re: PARK MAKES STRIDES TO ASSURE VARIETY OF WINTER ACCESS
NOW IT’S OUR TURN TO BE THE”SOMEONE SHOULD DO SOMETHING!”
On Monday, November 3rd, 2008, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks announced a two-week public comment period on a new plan to guide the management of winter use in the parks for 2008.
The previous plan was rejected by a federal judge in Washington, D.C., in September. With no plan, neither snowmobiles nor snowcoaches could be allowed in the parks this winter.
The Park Service has diligently worked since the court’s decision, to develop this plan that offers two alternatives The first, (called “no action’) would allow no motorized over-the-snow winter access. The second, and the park’s preferred, alternative would allow up to 318 commercially guided, Best Available Technology (BAT) snowmobiles, and up to 78 commercially guided snowcoaches per day in Yellowstone beginning Monday, December 15, 2008.
RE: It’s vital that we all (and everyone we know) make comment on these two alternatives as stated in the “2008 Winter Use Plans Environmental Assessment. All public comments must be received or postmarked by midnight, November 17, 2008. Here’s how to do it:
Written comments can be dropped off in person or mailed to: National Park Service Management Assistants Office, PO Box 168, Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190. Comments will not be accepted by phone, fax, or e-mail.
On-line. The quickest way to access the website to read the EA and make a comment is to "go directly to .
o
Use the pull-down menu on "Choose a Park" to select Yellowstone,
o
Click on "Plans/Document Open for Comment"
o
Next, click on the link to "2008 Winter Plan Use Plans Environmental Assessment.*"
o
Look down the left-hand column for a link to "Comment on document."
o
Just click once and a form will open.

RE: Next Steps
There are still several steps that need to occur before December 15th. We remain confident that Yellowstone will open on time with a variety of winter access including cross-country skiing, snowcoach, snowmobile and snowshoe.

In a few days, a proposed rule to implement the preferred alternative contained in the new plan will be published in the Federal Register and this, too, will be open for a 15-day public review and comment period.

After the comment period and analysis, the Region of the National Park Service would sign a Finding Of No Significant Action (FONSI) containing details of that decision and the new rule implemented. .

The National Park Service expects to have a decision regarding winter use management by the December 15, 2008, scheduled start to the winter season.

-----------------------

as of 05 only B.A.T. four stroke sleds with guides have been allowed in the park. If we loose that right we will NEVER get unguided sleds back in. Our hope is as the technology keeps improving, which it has, and we can prove it, they will eventually allow unguided sleds back in. Thanks for taking the time to read the post.................

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Don't worry, obama will probably shut down yellowstone and all your mountain riding down there anyway.......... Can you say "green"????????????? Don't worry, be happy!

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? Even Canada is gonna start spewing political crap on here too? What is this Blowest?

Listen, this is a closure that needs attention taken too, it is the hottest topic when it comes to riding areas being restricted or shut down. It doesn't take long to fill out, this is a good chance to let your knowledgeable voice be heard.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand the issue with Gov't shutting down our riding areas and access to the parks etc. But... there is such a massive riding area accessable from West Yellowstone in Wyoming and Idaho that the park is an nonissue in my experience. I have never even had an interest in riding in the park. WAY too much amazing riding outside! my :twocents:

saint_nick3

Reaction score
I understand the issue with Gov't sutting down our riding areas and access to the parks etc. But... there is such a massive riding area accessable from West Yellowstone in Wyoming and Idaho that the park is an nonissue in my experience. I have never even had an interest in riding in the park. WAY too much amazing riding outside! my :twocents:

This is true, I have never rode in the park either, but the greenies down here are ruthless they will not compromise at all, if you give them an inch they will take a foot by getting all of the west yellowstone area shut down. They are already getting this done with the riding areas closer to bozeman so people can go ice climbing without the noise of the snowmobiles in the the vincity.

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is more to do with the tour industry that is in there now. If you have never taken a tour there, try it, it isn't anything like what is around West Jelly.

Top Bottom