Yellowknife

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
it aint fall yet..... lets no get ahead of ourselves

I suggest checking out or staying in the Dunvegan valley, beautiful area, very colorful in the fall and from what I'm told lots of history in the campground

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Highly recommend Gallery of the Midnight Sun. Lots of Inuit Moccasins Gloves Carvings Etc. for sale. Not far from Ragged A$s Road.

DragonCFI

Reaction score
You can also check out Prelude Lake about half hour out of Yellowknife on the Ingram Trail they have campgrounds there also.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
didn't do a hell of a lot of fishing, not nearly what I thought we would. Fished the hay river for a bit and caught a small jack and an arctic grayling, fished two of the lakes up the Ingram trail and caught a decent jack, but nothing bigger than usual in Wab.

The trip was awesome, Yellowknife is different, loved Hay River, I could live there. Recreational Vehicles are treated the same as any other motor vehicle and there are as many SxS & Quads running up and down the highways and in town as there are cars/trucks. I was surprised by how few pleasure boats we saw given it's on the shores of GSL and the river provides a well protected mooring area. beaches were awesome, people were friendly. Overall it was an awesome trip.

Catch any fish yet Bog's???

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
didn't do a hell of a lot of fishing, not nearly what I thought we would. Fished the hay river for a bit and caught a small jack and an arctic grayling, fished two of the lakes up the Ingram trail and caught a decent jack, but nothing bigger than usual in Wab.

The trip was awesome, Yellowknife is different, loved Hay River, I could live there. Recreational Vehicles are treated the same as any other motor vehicle and there are as many SxS & Quads running up and down the highways and in town as there are cars/trucks. I was surprised by how few pleasure boats we saw given it's on the shores of GSL and the river provides a well protected mooring area. beaches were awesome, people were friendly. Overall it was an awesome trip.

Our 20 years up there was awesome. Some of the colder weather sucked but that's life. Yes, Yellowknife is different and I wouldn't want to live there. Some of the smaller communities are great but a long ways from anywhere. Getting to know people was easy as I had a lot of students from the outlaying communities and finding fishing and hunting spots was easy. Yes, Hay River is a bustling community and you are right about the boats but it is a big lake and can be very scary at times. At Hay River is it wide open and not much protection. Yellowknife has more protection but still a little scary for the average Joe. The communities have good river travel and there are lots of camps along the shore.

Always nice to see people do what you did and get on the exploration gig. We are still going to go up the Alaska Highway; I have driven to Inuvik and Dawson City but not to Alaska. One of these years..........

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Whitehorse & Alaska are next. but we want 2-3 weeks for that one.

Our 20 years up there was awesome. Some of the colder weather sucked but that's life. Yes, Yellowknife is different and I wouldn't want to live there. Some of the smaller communities are great but a long ways from anywhere. Getting to know people was easy as I had a lot of students from the outlaying communities and finding fishing and hunting spots was easy. Yes, Hay River is a bustling community and you are right about the boats but it is a big lake and can be very scary at times. At Hay River is it wide open and not much protection. Yellowknife has more protection but still a little scary for the average Joe. The communities have good river travel and there are lots of camps along the shore.

Always nice to see people do what you did and get on the exploration gig. We are still going to go up the Alaska Highway; I have driven to Inuvik and Dawson City but not to Alaska. One of these years..........

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Yes, a guy could get lost up there with July and August and early September. Lots to see and do. I loved the drive to Inuvik the end of August; nice and cool, minimal bugs, and the tourists were virtually gone.
Still see the odd retard on a bicycle. Who does that?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Still see the odd retard on a bicycle. Who does that?

Guy on a bicycle reminds me of a short story.

Four of us were hunting grizzly bear, sheep, goats, and caribou in the mountains SW of Norman Wells and north of Ross River. We were on the old Canol Pipeline road and with our trikes decided to camp in one of the shacks that still remains from the building of the pipeline to Alaska. Low and behold, there is a bicycle leaning against the build and smoke coming out of the chimney. There is a German fellow in there cooking a mess of Richardson Ground Squirrels. Two of our crew walk in and help themselves to this frying pan full of "gopher" pieces. The poor old bugger broke down and literally cried. He was sort of starving and the only remaining food he had left was a one gallon can of green string beans (he never did tell us why he was travelling with that). He had landed in Anchorage, AK and biked the Alaska Highway to Whitehorse, then to Ross River, and his ultimate destination was Norman Wells where he was going to fly to Ft. Simpson and then bike south. He came across a river that was too high and swift from the recent rains and he was on his way back to Whitehorse. One of the crew who ate the gophers said, "it is okay buddy, we'll fix you up." He went out and shot a caribou within walking distance of the cabin and with our ample supplies fixed him a meal he would never forget. We also provisioned him with enough food to get back to Whitehorse to catch his plane.

The other surprising thing besides being on a bicycle and carrying one can of string beans was his gear. One of those dark blue nylon bomber type jackets lined with fake sheep skin and a hood. Other than a pair of boots, pants, sweater, and a hat, that was the extent of his gear. He didn't even have a pair of gloves as his hands were all scratched and cut from the gophers biting him. He was catching them bare handed when they would come out of the pieces of pipe that were under the road.

And that is a true story among many that I have of our 20 years of exciting life in the NWT.

Top Bottom