Yamaha Roll Over / Kill Tether

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anone ran into these symptoms before. Near the end of the season my tether was acting up it would intermittently not kill the engine as well as the roll over valve wouldn't close. If I didn't have the tether hooked up the sled would still start. It has the relay set up on it and it appears to be working properly if i unplug it while running the sled quits. I am thinking of just purchusing a new tether switch assembly and replacing it that what i am thinking is wrong with it.

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anone ran into these symptoms before. Near the end of the season my tether was acting up it would intermittently not kill the engine as well as the roll over valve wouldn't close. If I didn't have the tether hooked up the sled would still start. It has the relay set up on it and it appears to be working properly if i unplug it while running the sled quits. I am thinking of just purchusing a new tether switch assembly and replacing it that what i am thinking is wrong with it.

You probably just need a new tether switch. They get water in them and then start corroding so the copper contacts won't work properly. Four Stroke Solutions sells just the tether switch or you can upgrade to a cat style plunger type which are supposed to be better.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
you can check with darren at E&S motorcycles on here located in fort sask or t&t Powersports in bonnieville they are supporting vendors and will have the parts you need.
I keep the contacts all clean with dielectric and spray them with loc-de icer with lubricant.

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year fourstrokesolution sent me an updated switch for free with a letter stating the exact problems mentioned. I believe anybody that bought from the website directly got one. I would check with who ever you bought it from if you didn't buy on line. They also sent I new cord too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SRT

Reaction score
Mine acted up at the end of the season. I just dropped it off at Alberta Cycle and they are warrantying it. I can't say I know anything about it. All I know is it wouldn't shut engine off and would start with it unhooked.

Sent from missing plane.

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So does anyone know of any other places that carry just the switch for an MPI roll over valve? I have tryed E&S and T&T. I called MPI directly and they said i can't get the switch separately??

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may want to come and try the Phantom Teth-Air at the Edmonton show. It has a roll over switch too that will shut off the motor when the sled is up side down.

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may want to come and try the Phantom Teth-Air at the Edmonton show. It has a roll over switch too that will shut off the motor when the sled is up side down.

Thanks ill stop and take a look but im hopping i don't have to replace the whole set up.

mtnviper

Reaction score
Website
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
burnt toast,

The Yamaha unit used a normally open tether switch that closes the circuit when the cord is pulled. So you can use any normally open switch of your choice.
To replace it, just cut the two wires going to your existing switch, then slice in the 2 wires from your new switch. The wire color doesn't matter, so you can connect to either wire.
When splicing in your connections I recommend using shrink/seal butt connectors. When heated the insulation shrinks to the wire to keep out moisture.

I also if you need it, have a circuit testing diagnostic instructions that I wrote up for the Yamaha unit as well. There some differences between the Yamaha unit and my kits, however I can help with tech advise, along with some of the parts you may need.

Bill

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
burnt toast,

The Yamaha unit used a normally open tether switch that closes the circuit when the cord is pulled. So you can use any normally open switch of your choice.
To replace it, just cut the two wires going to your existing switch, then slice in the 2 wires from your new switch. The wire color doesn't matter, so you can connect to either wire.
When splicing in your connections I recommend using shrink/seal butt connectors. When heated the insulation shrinks to the wire to keep out moisture.

I also if you need it, have a circuit testing diagnostic instructions that I wrote up for the Yamaha unit as well. There some differences between the Yamaha unit and my kits, however I can help with tech advise, along with some of the parts you may need.

Bill

thanks Bill

Rally

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my yamaha switch.
Replaced the tether but wasnt that so i replaced the relay switch and it works.
Went to napa auto found a replacement
switch for $8.50.

Top Bottom