Yamaha Phazer ????

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

sold the Polaris,,going to miss it.BUT cant take the 2 stroke smell anymore,even after switching to 100 to 1 Synthetic..
Athsma,,from working on sleds for 40 yrs.
thinking of a new 4 stroke,but not strong enough to dig out the big yamahas . Interested in the Phazers.
anyone here have one???

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what kind of riding do you do?

The phazer only has a 14 inch wide track, something to consider if you like riding in the mountains. They are a bit low on power too for up in the hills.

Have you looked at the Nytro or are you considering something a bit cheaper?

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
75 % of my riding is Trails, small amount really deep crap.follow good freind with long track Polaris.
and
price is a object too.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
75 % of my riding is Trails, small amount really deep crap.follow good freind with long track Polaris.
and
price is a object too.

are you wanting a yammer hammer, or have you checked out the other four strokes in the industry like the polaris fst and the arctic cat jag?

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kenvb:

I have one - bought it for the kids this year. I spent some time on one last year up at Golden. I had rented it for my wife - but she didn't like it and rode my XRS all weekend. Go figure.

#1. For trail riding and boondocking they are a gas. They have pretty good throttle response, and a good torque curve. Kind of linear in the power delivery. I was able to keep up on the trail with a bunch of guys on 800's - but I was wound right out. If they had been better riders - I would have been left in the dust.

#2 They are not a light sled. Weigh as much as a Rev 800. Center of gravity is a little "different" Because they are narrow - you can really throw them around in the pow - but it does take some getting used to. I ended up dumping it quite a bit in the first morning until I found the sweet spot.

#3 Like a quad for exhaust and noise.

#4 I had to ride like I stole it when I tried to climb with it up at Quartz. WFO on the baby hills. Now - there was about 18" of fresh that day so you have to take that into consideration.

Fun sled

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i had to help a guy get his unstuck this past weekend, All i can say is TANK. it was heavy for such a small sled. Mad my XRS feel light. Also his was turbo'd, He let me ride it for a few minutes, and the power was alright, but my XRS felt like it had more jam than it did with that turbo.Id look into the new MTX Phazer if your lookin for one. 130HP VS 80HP on the old ones, and they are about the same weight as last years Phazer

drive55

Reaction score
I had a 2007 phaser i put on 150kms and sold it thank god it was like riding a harley through the bush and not being able to get out of 1st gear i was peaky
was completely under powered i tiped it over was unable to right it myself. make sure you test drive one first it was the most disappointing experiance i have had since i started riding 30yrs ago if you want any more info from me let me know happy to talk to you

dieselmech_22

Reaction score
I rode a nytro and if you are really stuck on the four stroke it is a fun sled the only thing is the wieght issue I was torn between a new summit and the new nytro all the riding I do is mountains and the doo is soo light the nytro can't do it but a trail/ditch basher it would be really fun! I have't ridden the new summit xp yet but the nytro versus the 07 summit 800 isn't even a contest and the xp is lighter yet!

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ski-doo all the way yamaha has lost intrest in my books to heavy and sounds like a quad to me a sled has to be a 2 stroke

Anthony

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode a nytro and if you are really stuck on the four stroke it is a fun sled the only thing is the wieght issue I was torn between a new summit and the new nytro all the riding I do is mountains and the doo is soo light the nytro can't do it but a trail/ditch basher it would be really fun! I have't ridden the new summit xp yet but the nytro versus the 07 summit 800 isn't even a contest and the xp is lighter yet!

I rode a Nytro this past weekend and It was a BLAST! We only rode the ditches and fields, but man was it fun. It was a great little sled, and when I tipped it a couple times I was able to flip it back by my self. But even at that it was still quite heavy. It had some good punch, it looks good, and handels nice. Like stated above though, it does sound like a quad with the exaust.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought one for the Wife and she loves it (mountain model)! Is it a BIG hill climber....nope! Is it fun to ride.....yes! Is it heavy....yes (but masks it well when your riding it)! It does everthing that she asks of it and more. I've even doubled-up on it to take her out through the meadows and small hills in 12"+ of powder with no problem. If your lookin' for a gas and go sled that has the ease of key start, no oil mixing/smell, and is fun to ride but is a bit underpowered compared to other 600cc machines. More like a 500cc machine with the torque of the 600cc. I say it all depends on what your lookin' for. Good luck and happy sledding with what ever you buy!
P.S. I've yet to find ANY sled that is light when stuck!!

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought one for the Wife and she loves it (mountain model)! Is it a BIG hill climber....nope! Is it fun to ride.....yes! Is it heavy....yes (but masks it well when your riding it)! It does everthing that she asks of it and more. I've even doubled-up on it to take her out through the meadows and small hills in 12"+ of powder with no problem. If your lookin' for a gas and go sled that has the ease of key start, no oil mixing/smell, and is fun to ride but is a bit underpowered compared to other 600cc machines. More like a 500cc machine with the torque of the 600cc. I say it all depends on what your lookin' for. Good luck and happy sledding with what ever you buy!
P.S. I've yet to find ANY sled that is light when stuck!!

Thanks for all the great options guys, I would really like to get a nytro but after all is said and done I may be only able to get a phazer. At least when I learn to sled and want more power the wife can use the phazer

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would consider the new 900 ace too from skidoo. Weighs the same but with normal track. I broke a trail up a hill for a couple guys that rented them to fix a power line and the 900 seemed to go decent. I *think* he was riding a renegade version. Other guy was on the 600 ace and it was a dog but I'm sure it was a short track. Phazer is a fun sled too, but its a pretty active machine as tippy as it is. Phazers can be had for a reasonable price though too.

-Sent on my behalf from a mindless PR firm-

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the ski-doo 1200 4 stoke will beat a non ho f 800 in a drag up till 80 so they are no slouch, only issue is no mountain sled version but sounds like you ride main trails so a renegade would probably work for you?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great options guys, I would really like to get a nytro but after all is said and done I may be only able to get a phazer. At least when I learn to sled and want more power the wife can use the phazer

Considering the opinions you are referencing on this thread are from 2007, I would get some new opinions before settling on the Phazer. The Nytro wasn't even around when this thread was started, and they can had for cheap.

lman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Own a Nytro and it is sure nice to just gas and go. Buddy just bought a Phazer to rent out and said it was a great machine to play with even though it is a little under powered. Will say the machines seem to be heavy when not moving or really low speeds but once it hits 30 to 40 km you don't feel the weight. Yamaha doesn't make a 130hp Phazer. If you are willing to wait another week or 2 you can see what is in store fore the 2015 models.

Lman

Top Bottom