yamaha phaser

drive55

Reaction score
I just had the most disturbing ride of my life on a 2007 yamaha phaser for a machine that looks so cool it is like riding a harley through the bush and cant get it out of 1st gear. I cant believe that yamaha could build such a poor machine and then get poeple to give it good reviews. I tipped it over in some deep snow and was unable to get it back up strait again if I was alone I was toast. It sucked fuel like a pig and i was told it was 30 to 40% more fuel efficent bull ??. Who are they kidding MTN lite. I would be interested in getting other comments on this machine. Before anyone buys this machine they should test drive it to see if it is what they want and not what there told it is. Look forward to some feed back on this topic for everyones good

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you have issues LOL The phazer I rode was a blast,the suspension was awsome and I had no trouble throwing it around like a rag doll.I have been a doo rider since the eighties,and currently have three of them,the next sled in the stable will definatly be a Yamaha.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Needs a Turbo and then you wont get stuck and by the time the fuel is gone so is your energy,great for half day rides.LOL!
I dont care for them either!
catmando!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy just traded in his 163 XP after 1 ride for a supercharged Nytro and bought his 10 year old a turbo Phazer........his 13 year old rides last years 800 XRS 159, other 10 yr old 600 Summit.....hope they survive the winter....

Flange

Reaction score
rode the entire yammy line up last year and was not too impressed just mostly confused as to why they would put out such disturbing machines i currently ride an 07 800 xrs 151 and love it to death the only place the yammys were even 1/2 decent was bombing trough some rough rolling fast trails other wise not a fan at all

and a 13y old on a 159 xrs gee i have enough troube throwing my sled around i guess if they are crusing around the back 40 but id be a lil scared to let em loose anywhere eles but hey not my kids they might ride em just fine

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first ride on the Phazer was an absolute blast. It feels increadibly light, flickable, and for eighty horse pretty nimble.
I don't know what you guys expect from an entry level sled. I know I'm impressed.

I have to agree. I tried one last year - and bought one new this year. They are a blast. I just have used it around the place here - bombing thru the trees and the ditches. Last year I did take one out at a big pow day at Quartz. I can't say that I didn't have fun - I did not win any highmarks by far - but the thing was an absolute blast. I can see how some could view it as tippy - but that makes it so easy to pull over and carve.

Well - to each his own. Some may like it - some may not. And no one is forcing you to ride it. Drive55 - if you bought it and want to sell it - give me a pm

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just returned from a week trip. Friends wife rides a 07 and that thing is a blast to ride. Like a tractor just plows over the snow. Ya no highmarker but what a boondocker. You can just pich it anywhere you want. I would guess that if you and a few of your friends went to the mountains and all had a Phazers the competion would start in the staging area and not stop till they are loaded. Riding these machines remindes me of how much fun we had mountain riding in the 80`s. Machine no matter what make were all poor in the mountains but you sure didn`t need 3 ft of powder or long climbs to have fun. If you made it to the cabin at Allen you were having a GOOD DAY.So back to my point the Phazer is a fun nimble play around sled that works excellent at what it was built for and if you want to boost it up it will work very well. :twocents:

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just picked up the apex se, have only 1 complaint.. tooooooo damn heavy. 100 lbs heavier then ski doo summit, but the throttle response is crazy, the power is right there. now for a turbo... another 60 lbs or so but i think it would haul some a@#. put a small turbo on the phaser, lots of power for the small light weight machine.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry for the double post. forgot on the apex road 40 km on trail and 40 km in the fresh 4 ft of powder, did some hill climbing and lots of fooling around. only used 1/4-almost half tank of gas. other guys with me were down to 1/4 tank or little better. so way better fuel milage. but again heavy if you are alone and you get stuck, well better have a shovel and afternoon to get out.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my friend just got a new Phazer with a 144"x14"x2" track, I took it for a rip in the field by my house and it felt like it was going to fall over so I juiced it and tried to carve a $h!thook...it spit me off to the side I was turning (didn't carve) and rolled over onto the opposite side. same deal, I tried 3 times to pick it back up to it's skis but it is so top heavy I barely managed to right it. we rode down to the river hills with 4 other guys and the first good hill we came to 3 of us turned and blasted up the hill (2 800 XP's, and a 700 Summit), I get to the top and turn around to see my buddy with the Phazer pointing it up the hill, I said to my other friend at the top "uh oh....." sure enough, he powers out about 3/4 of the way up, starts sliding backwards until the skis turned and then rolled it. it smashed the little electronic instrument pod off (highest point on the sled, nice design) and bent the right bar all the way down to the cowling. took 6 of us about 45 mins of sifting thru the snow to find the pod, straightened out the pins on the back and plugged it back in and it worked. reverse, handwarmers etc are all controlled by the pod. it had 88kms on it, the pod is worth $400. I thought it was gonna be a lot more. sounds cool, looks cool, but keep it on the flats....

Apex06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i currently own a 06 Apex RTX and a 07 Phazer TURBO. I have never had a problem throwing these 2 machines around they both run flawless.
Power is crazy for both machines.
only problem i have with them is that they are heavy.

just my 2 cents from a real yamaha owner.

Sled-Head-Jr.

Reaction score
Yah last year I rode a '07 Phazer MTX in the mountains. It not enough power stock to ride in the mountains, but it's easy to one ski and carve, it's a good sled for a lady but not enough power for a guy in the mountains you'd have to slap a turbo on it atleast, but this year I'm riding a 08' Yamaha Fx Nytro MTX we put a turbo on it and piped it, it's amazing it's just an animal. I'm only 11 years old but it's an amazing sled to ride.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought one for the Wife and she loves it (mountain model)! Is it a BIG hill climber....nope! Is it fun to ride.....yes! Is it heavy....yes (but masks it well when your riding it)! It does everthing that she asks of it and more. I've even doubled-up on it to take her out through the meadows and small hills in 12"+ of powder with no problem. It's not the fastest through the powder but the thing just keeps chuggin' along! If your lookin' for a gas and go sled that has the ease of key start, no oil mixing/smell, and is super fun to ride but is a bit underpowered compared to other 600cc machines, more like a 500cc machine with the torque of the 600cc, then this sled is one of my top recommendations! I say it all depends on what your lookin' for.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LONG TIME NO HEAR FROM YOU TOMKAT.... HOW'S THE WEATHER IN IDAHO???:confused: COMING TO THINK OF IT, I BOUGHT MY SLED TRAILER FROM A FELLOW IN POCATELLO... MAYBE YOU KNOW HIM?? LOL

Good to hear from ya' Rick! Been real busy with all the snow and helping-out my friend who's had a load of bad luck lately (Replaced the pistons twice in one sled and we're currently in the process of replacing the right crank and pistons on his other sled) :(!! Did you come down and pick up the trailer from here?

Top Bottom