Yamaha 162" Nytro Sliders & Driver - HOT

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Been burning through sliders a lot the last few weeks where I might be lucky to get a weekend out of a set of new ones. Their wearing between the mid wheels and 60 seconds up the icy spring trails you can smell them burning up. I don't have scratchers on but last weekend I was riding with my feet down to kick snow into the track and cooling them off in any fresh I could find on the way up. Thursday to Sunday and another set of new sliders are gone. Got 2 rides on the set before that as they trails in are burning them up. I've been told that white sliders last longer than colored so I am wondering if anyone knows of a set other than stock that will last longer? Perhaps white?

Second thing I noticed last weekend is that the drive was sounding funny when I would feather the throttle and sounded a bit like there was preload or tension on the track as we ended the weekend...sort of like a vibration when you were real light on the throttle? I checked the front outer drivers today and they are covered in melted plastic between teeth or points on the drive wheels. I am assuming this is the melted plastic from the sliders where it's built up on the drive wheels when their hot and when they cool, there appears to be a lot of built up plastic that's stuck to them. It's like a layer has built up and while you can feel all of it between the teeth, you can't peel it off as it's bonded to the wheels from the heat they must have generated. I'm gonna have to warm them up and peel this plastic build up off the wheels so I can inspect them further. Is this normal with this build up on the drivers? Wheels and teeth appear good on the drivers, just this crap that's stuck to them in between.

This is on a 2010 with a 162" track. Any help or advice is appreciated.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
scratchers...they work. I've got two season's on the sliders on my sled now (about 1500-2000kms). and get rid of the idlers infront of your rear axel, this will make the track run flat on your sliders for more even wear.

Another issue with the yammies is the maverick track. Your track will be of a harder rubber than the earlier mavericks but they still do not throw a lot of snow up while on the trail. I think the tips bend as they are being pulled up by the rear axel and so lift less snow from the trail, compared to other tracks. Have a look at the amount of snow dust coming off your sled as you head up the trail and compare to any other sled out there.

Anyways, scratchers will help keep the sliders and sled cool, especially on those +0-20C spring riding days!

l8r Shawn

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
It's good to go now with a new set of sliders and drivers are cleaned up. Gonna change the track out later and run some scratchers off the running boards, but for now I added another set of wheels to keep from buring sliders up on the ice this spring. Time will tell I guess.

Thanks for the advice above.

SKI-D00

Reaction score
I don't really know how you ride or anything, but judging by the Nytro,
I can assume you like your HP... So I would suggest leaving all your idlers
so that there is less friction robbing HP on your sliders. Secondly, I would throw on an SLP Anti-Stab Wheel Kit. Basically, it replaces the stock limiter
strap mount and prevents the track from rubbing on the front of the rails/sliders.
It’s a real effective way to reduce friction and keep down slider temps.

But that’s just my 2 cents.

Slamaha

Reaction score
I was just ordering a new track and hyfax from Tom Hartman at Hartman Inc (Hartman Inc. - Home). He has high temperature hyfax (calls it HIPER FAX) that is rated for 750F as opposed to the stock Hyfax which is rated at 350F. He says it lasts way longer. It's $180 for my 162" APEX but I'm giving it a try along with his ski mounted scratchers.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just ordering a new track and hyfax from Tom Hartman at Hartman Inc (Hartman Inc. - Home). He has high temperature hyfax (calls it HIPER FAX) that is rated for 750F as opposed to the stock Hyfax which is rated at 350F. He says it lasts way longer. It's $180 for my 162" APEX but I'm giving it a try along with his ski mounted scratchers.

Excellent product this hyperfax is.I have it on my M1000 and with a 1000 miles there is no wear what so ever.I have taken off all the idler wheels on this skid.
I have just put it on my Tapex skid also and removed idler wheels on there also.
A set of scratchers will definately help you too.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hyperfax are an awesome product!! I have over 4K miles on one set and they have more then 90% life left.

Top Bottom