XR50R, Problem please help

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my problem with my 01 XR50r is that when I kick it, it revs to the moon. I removed the whole keyed ignition BS and the killswith aswell (when I put the BMX bar kit on it the killswitch wasn't an option). So all that is hooked up is the wires from the stator to the ignition modual to the spark plug. I have the idle screw out 3 turns to get it rich and try and keep the idle down but it's not working. Also I have the air-fuel screw out .5 a turn for the same idea to get it rich. The spark plug is black from choking it to kill it but it's not too rich, the soot wipes right off. The jetting is stock. I have the clip 2nd from the bottom again to get it rich. with no extra air coming in from a closed throttle at start I can't figure why it revs out right from the first kick. Am I missing something? I would really appreciate some input

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you put the slide back into the carb correctly?
Is the trottle cable to tight with the new bars?

Take off your air filter, and physically look to see if the carb is closed, and not wide open.....do a throttle "function " check to make sure the carb slide is operating properly.

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did some research and got that the long notch on the slid is to be on the right side of the back and it is. Although I never though to look into the carb from the airfilter side. The throttle cable is 3 inches longer than stock. So it's not binding or pulled tight. Thanks for the idea to check the slid though.

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ended up putting the slide in 180* backwards. the bottom of the slide was sitting on the idle screw. wide open. thanks for the info.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ended up putting the slide in 180* backwards. the bottom of the slide was sitting on the idle screw. wide open. thanks for the info.

Glad to here it was a simple fix, welcome to the site, you will find it a wealth of information

Top Bottom