Xp riders

torpedo

Reaction score
I have 09 800 146x about three hundred klm now love it ,reminds me of my 06 I can't believe what a great job BRP did even the clutching seems good.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put just under 1000 km on my 08 154 Everest. Zero issues and absolutely no regrets. Nothing else needs to be said. Make sure you look at the source of the comments...." I know a guy who has a friend who..."

King

Reaction score
The belt problem was unreal I heard as bad as belt per 100-200km. Was this a clutch alignment or motor mounts what was final fix? Drive shaft is a biggie heard of a couple of those too. Bottom line is this first year owners are gunie pigs (always) I had an 05 summit 1000 second year rock solid. Would buy an XP if I wanted a stock sled.
My XP was blowing belts every 200k. Launched me over the handle bars 3 times. Friggin near broke my neck. Great handling sled but BRP dropped the ball on fit and finish. Thought about buying a new one but decide to fix thisone. Put and o6 clutch and a beefed up driveshaft. Also had the POS rear shocks fail so I replaced them with Fox. Also remapped the computer module to increase the midrange, which was really lacking out of the box. Is it a good sled? Not out of the box, but it is now and the 09s seem to have the problems ironed out.

jimxp

Reaction score
first things first when the xp runs she runs good!!!! my brother and i both bought new xps last year, i ripped up 4 belts in 4 trips my brother 6 and couldnt get any warrenty on them. a couple months later we did get some warrenty but the ripped up ones they called it abuse! but whatever!
both put vents in that helped, less belts. cluthes both had problems they didnt know what to do to fix it! we both ride them hard, so that might be some of the reason, i hit a tree bent the arm a bit and the whole chassis was bet , so that had to be replaced, not so tough.......... i guess now that the jack shaft is fixed and i have to wait for the clutch recall to be fixed, so i will wait to see if that fixes the problem!? a dealership in BC told me they cant fix the bushing in the primary they need to be pushed in the factory, and said your gonna have the same problem again once it wears out AGAIN! so your going to need to a new clutch, but i will wait and see, im kinda a happy medium with my sled........;)

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think that 3400 sled thing was the amount of ski-doos at some kinda show or climbing thing in revy...

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey just got back from revy and rode frisby friday and saturday. I'm riding a o9 163 xp and this thing was crazy. We rode in 2-3 feet of fresh powder both days back at the trap and green tower. I was riding with a brand new cat and last years polaris and they didn't stand a chance all day.Been riding a long time and nothing compared to this weekend on the xp.

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:cool:Put 730 miles on my 08/154 no problems until the last trip in revy y pipe bolts loosened from head and blew out gasket ,exhaust blow out burnt up belt
Mark shady had all the repairs i needed ( Thanks again Mark ) 20 bucks and a couple of drinks 15 minute repair in parking lot, never blew a 166 or a 377 belt

picked up my /09 x/163 last weekend and first order of busines remove and lock tite y pipe bolts toss brass split ring washers and replace with star washers (better bite) why doo can't spend 3 cents and correct issues i am not sure will carry spares this winter

looking forward to a new season heading to revy next weekend to break it in

cheers

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol...forgot about the y pipe bolts. mine fell out at 530 miles, heard about it constantly on dootalk but it hadn't happened to mine. had an allen wrench in the kit just in case and checked them prior to leaving home that weekend. was ripping thru some trees when "BRAAAP!" 4 of 8 bolts fell out, 3 on one side and the gasket rotated out making the noise. found 2 bolts in the engine bay, pulled the pipe and put 3 in each side. bought some nordlock washers and a couple bolts, good to go

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the 08 154", other than the grips and something funny with the buttons on the dash, the sled has been good. I did my own clutching. I did blow a 166 belt but that was almost on purpose. I had a cord coming out( about 2-3 inches and wanted another free belt. The dealer said to take it off and use it as a spare but I wanted a new belt for a spare so I rode it hard until it broke and then took it back. I hit a tree hard and dented the A arm but it was still driveable. The dented A arm is still on the sled.

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think a big portion of it was the belts themselves, but a few more factors contributed to it (alignment, gearing, snow ingestion, and the plastic piece in the secondary that wouldn't stay tight until you cut the slots all the way through, etc). The first belt that I saw from one of them was like butter when it was warm, the thing was like a rubber band, no wonder they didn't last, get warm, stretch and slip, the more they heat, the more they stretch, the more they stretch the more they slip, the more they slip the more they heat, the more they heat the more they stretch.....round and round til they just come unglued and threads everywhere. One rider switched to the harder Doo belt, the other went to Carlisle and neither had problems after that. The other guy just kept taking belts into the dealer for replacement LOL. :D

gsmoke - I honestly can say that they are a great sled and I don't ride one (unbiased observer). I have never seen a stock sled keep with mod sleds or go the places that these the XP's went last year - watched one guy ride in a steep and deep creek valley in the trees in 4-5 ft of powder, we all thought we would be doing a major extraction on his sled when he turned in there (no way out basically on a 45-60 degree slope) and he picked his way through the trees and made it all the way to within 100 ft of the top before he got stuck. Walked a small trail to him, quick tug on the snowbunjie and he was out, he was a good rider but the sleds capabilities are impressive, I'll give it that.

The issues with the sled last year and peoples bitter feelings towards them have a lot to do with Ski Doo's response on the customer service end of things, which left a bad taste in some peoples mouths (understandably). The other thing that factors in is brand bias from other riders. Some guys get a tad jealous when a stock sled rides up and posts a highmark above their "mod" sled mark. All i can say is listen to the guys that actually ride them, not the rest of us that don't. Being towed out doesn't mean that it is the sleds fault, at least 50% of the time I see sleds on the hook, it was driver error!

I have never read a more honest,unbiased, report than this one...thank you!

Everyone loves to bash another brand without thinking about where their brand would be without the competition.
SkiDoo gets bashed allot because they come out with new ideas and platforms.And when you do come out with these new sleds there are going to be some problems. When the Rev was introduced I heard the same crap from other riders about the "look" and "flimsy" design of it. But what happened? All the other manufactures soon followed suit,they were well aware that SkiDoo was on the right track.
Now we have the Xp,is it perfect? NO...But its a step in the right direction and will be defined as it goes. And because of the Xp,you can bet that your Arctic Cat, Yamaha,and Polaris will be a better machine next year.:beer:

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode hard all last year 1100 miles , first 8 kms hit a melon size dirt lump coming out of field into ditch ( maybe 30-40 kms/hr) on the bottom left a-arm folded up like tin foil, replaced that got clutching isues fixed, geared it down, piped it, it rocks and rolls now hasnt missed a beat, whoop the ass off the kitty 1000s-crossfires/nightfires............knock on wood have not got driveshaft fixed yet but its on the very long list.lol

Pin that be-otch

JOESKIDOO

Reaction score
Sounds to me that someone from another brand is just a little jealous and is starting some rumors, I know a few guys that have XP's and totally love them! As soon as this stupid economy gets better I will be ordering my new 800 XP-X! Not to sled bash because that is not what I doo, in all my years riding since 74' the most dead sleds on the trail have been cats. :beer:

kirk little

Reaction score
put 1500kl. on my xp 163.Put new belt on at 1300kl.Had 7 trip to the mountains,played hard.LOVE THE MACHINE!!!HAD NO TROUBLE.

coffeeboy

Reaction score
Still love my 08 xp and [most) of my other SKI-DOOS. I just make sure I take them to the God of mountain sleds "AL BUSH" Valley chain saw(Pemberton) Thanks Al , I hope you read this, maybe I'll get my new drive shaft sooner!!;;)

162 Wizzy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No kidding......if Kirk didn't bend that 800 they are tougher than everybody thinks!!! :d:d:d

Top Bottom