Xp riders

gsmoke

Reaction score
Ive been hearing some not so good things about the new rev xp.:crap:
a couple things
:buddy bent his under carriage to the point were he could barely ride it down the hill. and ive seen:pictures of a new xp that was supposedly dropped two feet and was wrote off due to tunnel damage(this year)
Ive heard many more rumors of problems that occured with the XP. I personally own a 154 08 summit and the only problems i had were recalled.
I love the sled. i havent done any mods to it but as for boondocking and climbing it rocks!:skidoo::perfect10:

I know theres lots of you out there that ride these sleds so share some stories of how awesome this f-ing sled is...:Snowmobile1::feedback:

Last edited by a moderator:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't remember where is saw it but supposedly the XP was the most towed out sled in revy, somthing like 3400 of them had to be towed or choppered out. Not sure if that is acurate.

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wouldn't be supprised... i have 6 buds that have the 08 xp and they all had major issues... don't get me wrong it does rock when its running... spend lots of time with the doors open on that thing not to mention getting pulled down the mountain...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
801 miles on one here, never been towed out, broken down, or sorry for buying it. ride with 4 others too, not one has been down and a couple have double my mileage. I guess they must just ride them harder in Revy....

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3400 XP's???? LMAO!!!

Not likely. If there is 5 months of the year where Revy is solid with riders (beginning of Dec to end of April - 5 months) = 150 days of riding (just an average, there are a few more in Nov and a few more after May 1 - but just as the majority of the riding season). 3400 sleds means that 22 sleds per day were getting towed/choppered off the mountain?
Even if you include Nov and May, it still equates to 16 per day. Chopper companies wouldn't have even been able to keep up with the XP's alone, and this is assuming every day, all week.

Rode with 3 last year and none had issues except clutching on one. None of them spontaneously exploded either.

Who makes up these stats? :rolleyes:

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea now that u do the math that does sound rather high... i could maybe believe it if it was revy, vale and mcbride... that would be more realistic as far as numbers go... got 3 hills in mcbride, 3 hills in vale and 3 hills in revy.. just counting the major ones obviously... 9 hills, 2 xp's per hill per day... i can see that. I remember one day i was riding down the trail at renshaw and passed 6 xps being towed out, one was my buddies!!! they never heard the end of it from me that night at the bar lol...:beer::beer::beer:

Not saying they are a chitty sled or nothing... :d

Last edited by a moderator:

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
over 1000km on my sled in the mountains last year and never missed beat. not one single problem. went through a few belts, but those didn't fail, they were just starting to lose some threads. riding buddy has same sled and was on all the same trips, no prob's with his sled either. There is probably guys out there that ride harder than us but we definitely dont baby these things. Ive rolled mine right from the top of the hill climb at allen creek right to the bottom, end over end. snapped the throttle and cracked the hood. little crazy glue and electricla tape and rode for 4 more days. these sleds are bullet proof in my opinion and experience. bad luck is not brand specific.

tchcont

Reaction score
rode a xp last year , 5 out of 11 trips
1st - pulled back a t apex - throttle body fell off
2nd- pulled back a m8 with melted wiring harness
3rd - t apex chaincase exploded on the hook again
4th - my xp towed out , drive shaft failure
5th - m1000 diamond drive seized up
6th - 10th - everything worked flawless
11th - engine went south and went home early?!

went back to a 07 rev , full custom , so it should
be an interesting year.
everyone ride safe!!!!

cooper

Reaction score
801 miles on one here, never been towed out, broken down, or sorry for buying it. ride with 4 others too, not one has been down and a couple have double my mileage. I guess they must just ride them harder in Revy....

No they just work harder pulling all them cats & poolarises back to the parking lot. love my xp best sled on the planet & made in canada cant beet that.

dakinns

Reaction score
Picking up my new 09 XP 800 146" next week. Excited to see the difference in handling compared to my 07 800 151". Had absolutley no problems with my 07. Ran perfect every time out.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WE had two last year,my 163 and my girlfriends 154.Did the belt fix myself before we rode and had zero troubles last year and rode the hell out of them.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3400 XP's???? LMAO!!!

Not likely. If there is 5 months of the year where Revy is solid with riders (beginning of Dec to end of April - 5 months) = 150 days of riding (just an average, there are a few more in Nov and a few more after May 1 - but just as the majority of the riding season). 3400 sleds means that 22 sleds per day were getting towed/choppered off the mountain?
Even if you include Nov and May, it still equates to 16 per day. Chopper companies wouldn't have even been able to keep up with the XP's alone, and this is assuming every day, all week.

Rode with 3 last year and none had issues except clutching on one. None of them spontaneously exploded either.

Who makes up these stats? :rolleyes:

Ya i was waaayyyyy off on that one. Its been bugging me all day on where i heard that outragous stat.

jdog

Reaction score
Ive been hearing some not so good things about the new rev xp.:crap:
a couple things
:buddy benthis under carriage to the point were he could barely ride it down the hill. and ive seen:pictures of a new xp that was supposedly dropped two feet and was wrote off due to tunnel damage(this year)
Ive heard many more rumors of problems that occured with the XP. I personally own a 154 08 summit and the only problems i had were recalled.
I love the sled. i havent done any mods to it but as for boondocking and climbing it rocks!:skidoo::perfect10:

I know theres lots of you out there that ride these sleds so share some stories of how awesome this f-ing sled is...:Snowmobile1::feedback:

hahahaha.kenny what happend 2 ur sled.I THINK THEY SUCK.SORRY KEN.I SEEN THE CHOPPER WITH UR SLED AND BRYAN OUT CLIMED YOU.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i was waaayyyyy off on that one. Its been bugging me all day on where i heard that outragous stat.

I'm pretty sure that's roughly how many total XP's had to be towed out in both Canada and U.S.... which is roughly 10% of their total sales... So I guess that's not too bad. :cool:

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The belt problem was unreal I heard as bad as belt per 100-200km. Was this a clutch alignment or motor mounts what was final fix? Drive shaft is a biggie heard of a couple of those too. Bottom line is this first year owners are gunie pigs (always) I had an 05 summit 1000 second year rock solid. Would buy an XP if I wanted a stock sled.

bcboy

Reaction score
i have to laugh i just had this conversation with a friend who is knocking my phazer. it's taken a beeating if i had a xp i know there would have been times i would have been getting towed out. 5 out of 6 rider's i saw rode the same trail and by the time we reached the gas drop 5 of them had broken drive shafts . and i'am 260 and ride like it's stolen throught the woops .

oh and my other buddy went throught 3 belts in one weekend and i was the tow sled hahaha he likes my sled now . now i need is a turbo kit anyone have one laying around?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The belt problem was unreal I heard as bad as belt per 100-200km. Was this a clutch alignment or motor mounts what was final fix? Drive shaft is a biggie heard of a couple of those too. Bottom line is this first year owners are gunie pigs (always) I had an 05 summit 1000 second year rock solid. Would buy an XP if I wanted a stock sled.

I think a big portion of it was the belts themselves, but a few more factors contributed to it (alignment, gearing, snow ingestion, and the plastic piece in the secondary that wouldn't stay tight until you cut the slots all the way through, etc). The first belt that I saw from one of them was like butter when it was warm, the thing was like a rubber band, no wonder they didn't last, get warm, stretch and slip, the more they heat, the more they stretch, the more they stretch the more they slip, the more they slip the more they heat, the more they heat the more they stretch.....round and round til they just come unglued and threads everywhere. One rider switched to the harder Doo belt, the other went to Carlisle and neither had problems after that. The other guy just kept taking belts into the dealer for replacement LOL. :D

gsmoke - I honestly can say that they are a great sled and I don't ride one (unbiased observer). I have never seen a stock sled keep with mod sleds or go the places that these the XP's went last year - watched one guy ride in a steep and deep creek valley in the trees in 4-5 ft of powder, we all thought we would be doing a major extraction on his sled when he turned in there (no way out basically on a 45-60 degree slope) and he picked his way through the trees and made it all the way to within 100 ft of the top before he got stuck. Walked a small trail to him, quick tug on the snowbunjie and he was out, he was a good rider but the sleds capabilities are impressive, I'll give it that.

The issues with the sled last year and peoples bitter feelings towards them have a lot to do with Ski Doo's response on the customer service end of things, which left a bad taste in some peoples mouths (understandably). The other thing that factors in is brand bias from other riders. Some guys get a tad jealous when a stock sled rides up and posts a highmark above their "mod" sled mark. All i can say is listen to the guys that actually ride them, not the rest of us that don't. Being towed out doesn't mean that it is the sleds fault, at least 50% of the time I see sleds on the hook, it was driver error!

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Modman,,, also most of BRPs XP problems came from out sourced parts,eg. belts and driveshafts of which both were obviously not built to the proper dimensions for the sleds capabilities??? The clutching calibration that contributed to the belt problem would be a BRP issue, not enough testing??? Put 700 miles on my 08 XP last year mostly in the mountains and replaced one belt ( first trip to Valemount) only because the cord on one side started to seperate, warranty :d I do my own clutching not the dealer,, now that I have that set, the sled flatout ROCKS:d As for 3400 XPs:BSmeter:

Top Bottom