XP Question

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
None here, just changed my first belt at 1500km's now it"s my spare

Mike_1987

Reaction score
I've only had a problem with a rubbed through wire for my rave valves and that was it. Other then that, my sleds ran good. Just doing little things to get more power out of it now

-Clayton-

Reaction score
both of our 05's are around 3000 k. it just costs way to much for upkeep on them so were lookin around for deals on 08's

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okiee Dookie I thought you were trading in a 08 XP, I got a 08 X XP [1,100 miles] love it no problems, still on original belt, but cut vent holes in side panel to keep cool, check out the vent thread on here.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok thanks, we're thinking about trading ours in on two 08 XP's

Before you do that, have you ridden an xp?

They are totally different than a rev chassis, go to dootalk.com and there is lots of detailed info on all of the common problems. They all have their problems and the xp is no exception. If you are a climber they rock, if you are a boondock, tree style rider not so much in my opinion.

goodleo

Reaction score
Go and talk to an honest( if you can find one) skidoo mechanic or salesrep and they will tell you to stay away from the 08's. Just talked to a guy last week about them and that is what he said, even if all of the updates are done.

05blazerboy

Reaction score
Gotta say, I've been out quite a bit with my '08 and haven't had any major problems. Sometimes the electrical wouldn't work too well on the console, but I think it was the -40 and all the ice buildup after being in a heated trailer. Got the updates done and honestly wouldn't trade it for anything else. I would have agreed with those otheguys on it NOT being a boondocker until my last trip, now that I have the suspension and technique dialed in a little better, I'll go anywhere they go, trees or not. Just takes confidence to ride it, if you're a decent rider, you'll love the XP. Just be sure to buy a decal kit so you can find your sled in the parking lot, lol. It's hard to say anything too bad about a sled that 70% of the sledding population rides.

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with 05blazerboy, I ride an 09 XP, and my brother rides an 08 XP. He has 2000 km's on his, and the only problem so far was the hand warmers. Oh and they did some mod on the drive shaft but I think that was back when he bought it. Have fun.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With any new model its better to stay away from the first year, as the 08's did have their share of issues, but all major issues had recalls and fixes. The drive shafts were bad in some, the clutch alignment was bad in some, the pre filters can clog up in powder, and the list goes on. Now that being said there are some serious deals to be had on used 08's. If you can get an '08 that has a proven maitenance record I would go for it.

As far as the post saying they are not great for boondocking/tree weaving machine, well that has to be a personal riding style opinion. I went from my '04 summit to an '09 and this sled instantly gave me confience I never had before when playing in the trees and making small pulls through the technical stuff. These sleds simply tractor through anything in their way. Deffinetly check out dootalk for mountain sleds, there is way more info on there.

For me, I could have chosen a powerful snow eating turbo machine like a yammy, or even a cat, but its the power to weight of the XP's that I prefer. Maybe someday I will chose different, but not anytime soon.

• Thanks
Reactions: Max

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2010 but have an 08 with lots of extras for sale...all updates done and just had a new engine put in under warranty that has 0 miles on it( just picked it up from dealer this week). PM me if you are interested I'm in leduc.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a quick pic of sled.

Attachments

• IMG_1050.jpg
    IMG_1050.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 213

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just started my 3rd season on Summit XP 800 154": over 2600kms, changed belt once at over 1800kms, and just a few days ago cleaned the carbs (had some gunk build-up). Ran like a clock again at Lucille, McBride all day Sunday in the biggest fresh snow I've ever experienced. Sled remains straight, strong, and hasn't missed a beat despite normal punishment (factory updates and annual maintenance have been done at a good shop). It's for sale 780-646-2499.

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
I have a 154" 08 XP "X", It hates to sidehill, 800.00 later in BRP rear suspension upgrades(2010 rear suspension kit, heavy springs, revalve rear shock) I may get to try it out before I install the S-36 narrowing kit as it is back ordered. If I had a doo over I would stay with Ski-Doo but it would be a 163"2011 Everest, most bang per buck.

Top Bottom