XP design flaw?

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
upgrading an 08 isn't too much money when you consider you can get 125.00 for rails, 150.00 center shock and 275.00 for the front end. so the 2011 upgrade is only 800.00 total cost with an option to change the steering post and lighter sway bar(mines removed) and skiis later, I have 10 times this in mods into each of my other machines and other than sidehilling the 08 XP is superior to an 08 Poo and Cat so I plan on staying with Doo on my next sled, If the XP had the 2011 suspension right out of the gate there wouldn't have been any discussion about the sleds problem or folks making judgements about riders that they have never seen ride in the mountains that may have proved there abilities where it counts which is on the mountain , easy to sit at a laptop and slam people when you have been riding an e-tech with all the changes, or you are willing to accept less from an 08 or 09 than you deserve either out of brand loyalty or rider weight as the taller heavier riders have less challenges initiating or maintaining a side hill, or perhaps it's just peoples negative nature.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is a cheap upgrade for sure but the being the best in 08 is personal opinion for sure as it is with any year, I found with the sway bar off the sidehill and layover is far better and the guys in my group even with the quick disconnects never ride with them on, I think the getting used to each individual machine and your personal ability have 10x the factor into riding than the machine, I am 6'2 240 and in good shape my buddy riding the freeride is 5'10 170 and he makes the xp look easy as I do my m series, swap us to eachothers machines and we looked like it was our first time riding until the last few times we are getting used to the differences

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To protect the tupperware side panel from the clutch I riveted in a piece of roofing sheet metal on the inside. It still allows the panel to flex but the clutch doesn't bore through. 3 seasons and no issues. I have black panels and found some black rivets. Should be able to paint silver rivets white for the Freeride panels.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when i had my 10 i had the exact same problem with the side panel.
No need 2 use rivets. go get a small piece of tin ( i used furnace ducting tin) clean the inside panel with acetone. then take 80grit sandpaper. Roughen up the area that is in alignment with the clutch. clean with acetone again. go buy loctite 5910 or permetex "the right stuff" put a good beed on the back of the preformed tin. I then put a good beed around the outside edge and smeared it over with my finger. Them put sidecover on work bench with some good weight inside. let it dry overnight withthe weight on and good to go. put 2000 kms on that side cover and never had a hole. you could see that the clutch had rubbed but no hole.
hope this helps.

Hardkore341

Reaction score
Trust me, the new cover doesn't doo chit, first powder day layover, clutch ate right through the thing.... oh well....

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trust me, the new cover doesn't doo chit, first powder day layover, clutch ate right through the thing.... oh well....

Actually the new CVT cover does infact direct hot air down and away from the clutches. There is never snow in my left footwell as the hot air melts it. So it does work. On other forums, people have actually measured the temperature difference with it on and off the sled. It works.

But yes, with the narrow stance when laying the sled over, there is still too much pressure on the sidepanels and somehow the panel pushes into the cover and the cover makes contact with the primary.

Mine has a large hole in the cover as well.

So yes the cover works. It would work awesome for a trail sled. A mountain sled that is layed over in deep snow...not so much.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks isn't necessary....just send money...hahaha

That's what this forum is all about; helping others and trying not to p*ss someone off in the meantime.

oh now ya tell me, friggin thanks fernie

Hardkore341

Reaction score
I'm sure it works to cool down, I just mean it doesn't doo chit to protect the side panel from the clutch.
Cheers.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy fix

Attachments

• DSC00058.jpg
    DSC00058.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 188

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
holy hell what do you guys do? put the thing on its side and let it run while you go have lunch?

The decals on my 11 lasted 3 rides, you should see how steep the sidehills get when I try to follow the young guys. Ocassionally they do roll when running too. If you don't have battle scars like these, you don't ride hard enough.

Top Bottom