XP design flaw?

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all of the XP's in our group have or have had issues with the clutch wearing the side panel in deep snow, is there a way to prevent this? Yes they have always been closed correctly and no they are not newbie riders smashing into things, just looking for info on how to prevent or stop this :beer: I think it's because it takes the entire body to lay the things over that once they do flop their fat azzes drive it into the snow, but we all know once you get used to the xp they're just fine:p Thanks for any tips I can pass the group

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fair enuf, it's definitely not a problem that duct tape can't fix but cosmetically with the white freeride and the wraps on the other machines it sure looks ugly

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
could be that they all removed the plastic shroud off of the belt guard, when i bought my 2008 second hand the previous owner had removed it to keep the clutch cooler but kept it, I drilled about a hundred holes in it to allow air flow and re installed it to prevent damage to the side panel, plus it is all I can do to get it to lay over anyway as it doesnt like to side hill.
I have the 2010 rear upgrade completed and am waiting on an S-36 narrowing kit that is back ordered so maybe I will be lucky enough to grind through my panel now too.

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
If you can't sidehill an xpo you need to practice not thhrow parts at it

15 years on Summits in the mountains X 30 days per year, now get about 10 days a year, yes I must be out of practice.
I will know in 2 weeks when I get to Revy with the 2010 rear suspension upgrade if i am out of practice, traded sled for an hour or two last winter with a 2007 159" rev "X" and it would sidehill as well as my other Doos(159 ZX and 156 S chassis).
the 08 is not acceptable to me or to thousands of others that call it a "buffalo". I am not ready to switch brands as I have had really good luck with Summits but the thing just hates to be layed over especially in marginal snow, front kit ordered and I will install after trying the rear kit, revalved rear shock, heavier springs, I love the way it climbs but I wish it was 2011 as they seem to have it figured out finally.

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
my 96 and my 03 side hill very well, no effort to initiate and they stay layed over in even margional snow, I still have these sleds and I swap my kids on the mountain for a couple hours and have no problems, It is not that the 08 and 09 summits are bad handling machines in general but when you ride an 07 rev you dont want to give the guy back his sled until your on the trail down to the truck. My older sleds are lightened considerably so i am not exactly comparing apples to apples.
I will comment once i have tried it with the 2010 rear suspension, It may be acceptable??
As far as a chassis a 95 Summit was not even close to the 96 so if you can ride it you can teach everyone on S&M how to side hill as you must be "special" I am always amazed that people want to defend an 08 and 09 summit by attacking anyone who mentions this deficiency or worse mentions Poos and Cats. The spirit of a forum should be to share advice and ideas in a positive way. Try defending a 1995 V-Max 600 or 98 Powder Extreme by saying they don't climb hills because you "got problems" when the 96 Summit outclimbed them by miles, saying that you need better throttle control, need practice, got problems doesn't make an 08 a 2011. I was on a 95 v-max 600 in 95 and practicing or solving riding problems didn't change the fact that I was on a Bison (Buffalo), buying a 96 summit then was the best purchase ever, Buying my 03 159X was the second best,I cannot say that about 2008. Maybe the suspension upgrades will make it my favorite Doo in the last 16 years.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys missed the joke, it's a long term whine on the site from people with no skill, too much time on other chassis', or brand loyalty based bashing etc that lip about the xp and I was just continuing with it, I personally lay the xp over fine it takes a different kind of technique than my M series but it does just fine, they are all very different in handling but not hard to ride by any stretch, Thanks for the tips I'll pass them along

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Getting back to the initial question....I removed the plastic on the 08 and threw it out. Then the side panel problem was evident. I added a small piece of aluminum as shown in the picture to fix my problem. It is adjustable and cheap. BTW, that vent from JCCustom Vents strengthens the panel enough that there is no bending which helps a lot.

On the 2010, I left the plastic shroud on and drilled holes. On the 2012, I'm leaving everything on as the clutches seem to be running quite cool compared to other years.

100_4631.jpg

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks, this is excactly what I was hoping for, should be a big saver for their machines, the freeride looked awful with a hole in the white panel and the other guys have some fancy wraps you just saved
Getting back to the initial question....I removed the plastic on the 08 and threw it out. Then the side panel problem was evident. I added a small piece of aluminum as shown in the picture to fix my problem. It is adjustable and cheap. BTW, that vent from JCCustom Vents strengthens the panel enough that there is no bending which helps a lot.

On the 2010, I left the plastic shroud on and drilled holes. On the 2012, I'm leaving everything on as the clutches seem to be running quite cool compared to other years.

View attachment 115850

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beleave me Im no miracle rider, and I dont need to defend BRP. It just makes me laugh what people used to drive for mountain sleds 15-20 years ago, and now on the form as soon as you see anything about a 2008 xp on the the form, the first thing people do is jump on them about bad clutches and horrible handling. All I trying to say is all the manufactures have made huge leaps in the last ten years, and it gets old listening to lots of the newish riders complain about xp handling. Sorry for straying your thread tantrum.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it's funny to hear people complain myself, I just got into mountain riding last year and upgraded mid last season from the 1m chassis to the M chassis and although it was leaps and bounds better I rode with some vets that were in their late 50's early 60's on everything from 1m to rev to pro rmks and everything in between and it really gave me perspective on rider ability, even better was the stories and pics of these guys riding the same area on elan's and spitfires when we were barely gettin it done on the new stuff
Beleave me Im no miracle rider, and I dont need to defend BRP. It just makes me laugh what people used to drive for mountain sleds 15-20 years ago, and now on the form as soon as you see anything about a 2008 xp on the the form, the first thing people do is jump on them about bad clutches and horrible handling. All I trying to say is all the manufactures have made huge leaps in the last ten years, and it gets old listening to lots of the newish riders complain about xp handling. Sorry for straying your thread tantrum.

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
15 years on Summits in the mountains X 30 days per year, now get about 10 days a year, yes I must be out of practice.
I will know in 2 weeks when I get to Revy with the 2010 rear suspension upgrade if i am out of practice, traded sled for an hour or two last winter with a 2007 159" rev "X" and it would sidehill as well as my other Doos(159 ZX and 156 S chassis).
the 08 is not acceptable to me or to thousands of others that call it a "buffalo". I am not ready to switch brands as I have had really good luck with Summits but the thing just hates to be layed over especially in marginal snow, front kit ordered and I will install after trying the rear kit, revalved rear shock, heavier springs, I love the way it climbs but I wish it was 2011 as they seem to have it figured out finally.

I'm not the most aggressive rider and I do feel the xp is a little more difficult to lay over in marginal snow but I have had no issues with sidehilling or laying it over when the powder is a little deeper. I actually like I need to give it a little extra to bring over but find it a lot more controlable while sidehilling or maneuvering than some of the other brands. No issues with my side panels either.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
thanks, this is excactly what I was hoping for, should be a big saver for their machines, the freeride looked awful with a hole in the white panel and the other guys have some fancy wraps you just saved

thanks isn't necessary....just send money...hahaha

That's what this forum is all about; helping others and trying not to p*ss someone off in the meantime.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the way they xp handles is the reason I'm on an M chassis myself, but after last weekend I don't mind the xp's handling, it grows on you and with a 163/etec/dj clutch, the power is impressive, still think my next will be a pro rmk, but next years doo makeover is rumored to be a game changer again so who knows I'm loyal to fun not brands and mine has another season or 2 left for sure

Top Bottom